Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
2013 FI S40? (Read 585 times)
Drifter

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

2013 FI S40?
07/30/11 at 16:22:23

Being how 2012 is the last of the carbed bikes in the US will Suzuki kill off the Savage/S40 or add fuel injection?  I hope they add injection and keep the tradition of this bike going for another 10 years!  

Still in production since 1986 is some kind of record!!

IP Logged
SuperSavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: 2013 FI S40?
Reply #1 - 07/30/11 at 16:27:34

FI and hydraulic valve lifters would make this bike bullet-proof and much easier to maintain and own. Could be a bigger seller with those additions provided the price doesn't rise too much.  Wink

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 07/30/11 at 16:48:24

Oxygen sensors, MAP sensors, Throttle position sensors, computer controller...

Nope... I'd rather have a carb... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
mmosel
2005 No Login

My bike is
officially THUMPING
now.

NW Oregon
Reply #3 - 07/30/11 at 17:24:25

Wow, I had no idea they were outlawing carbs on new bikes in 2013. darnit! I guess if you want a cheap LS650, now is the time to get one. Once they stop making them, demand will definitely go up. Right now you can get killer deals on low mileage, like new bikes. I've seen them for 2 to 2.5 k. And of course you can get older models for even much less.

I bet they kill it off. That'll be a sad day. I guess 2012 really will be the end of the world... for the savage that is. ( ok technically, 2013 but yeah )

IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #4 - 07/31/11 at 07:01:13

mmosel wrote on 07/30/11 at 17:24:25:
Wow, I had no idea they were outlawing carbs on new bikes in 2013. darnit! I guess if you want a cheap LS650, now is the time to get one. Once they stop making them, demand will definitely go up. Right now you can get killer deals on low mileage, like new bikes. I've seen them for 2 to 2.5 k. And of course you can get older models for even much less.

I bet they kill it off. That'll be a sad day. I guess 2012 really will be the end of the world... for the savage that is. ( ok technically, 2013 but yeah )

Last year for the Ford Ranger too. Smiley

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
papi_ocho

super stock thumper

Oceanside, CA
Reply #5 - 07/31/11 at 07:38:49

Yup they will kill it off. along with the GS500 and their dual sports.

That may mark the end of single cylinder bikes all together. Most are carb'd. Atleast the ones that the average person wants to own. Cost of ownership is a big deciding factor.

Are any of mid-level suzuki cruisers FI?

Not much different than when they did away with 2 stroke engines. yamaha's blaster and banchee! Even chain saws. This is just another step in someone's master plan. For right now the we are just going along with it because there isn't clear "end state" but the next phase out might include something real important in our lives.

our childrens lives are changing: the easy bake oven needs to be redesigned or phased out after decades because the government marked the light bulb that powers it for "phase out"

06 S-40 ss carbbowl screws, ss valve cover bolts, turn signals lightup w/ brake light(removed for trouble shooting)
06 GS500F gstwins.com
06 Hayabusa.org
  IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #6 - 07/31/11 at 17:27:10

I had my Savage up for sale. Now I'm having second thoughts.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #7 - 08/01/11 at 17:01:19

John_D FSO wrote on 07/31/11 at 07:01:13:

Fraud is finally killing off that miserable excuse for a mini truck? Good riddance. Mine started throwing an intermittent check engine light with associated cylinder drop off. New wires, plugs, battery (cooked on header, worn out, cracked respectively). Can hit 55 in 3rd gear, but drive more than a couple miles and it does it again. At low speeds, like 35-40 mph low speeds. And of course, almost nothing from the 92 parts junker fits the 94. I can't wait to take the backhoe to the trucklets.

Unless you want to come get them?

I'd rather fix "Standartenfurher" anyway (my 72 Super Beetle). Same color as the General Lee, but a lot smaller, so it is only a Colonel.  Wink And, it has a carb and a POINTS distributor, none of that fancy crap that is guaranteed to cornhole you in the middle of nowhere.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #8 - 08/01/11 at 18:31:09

There are thumpers out there with FI and plans for more (of course). The dirt bikes are getting a good reputation for reliability and rideability. I saw a really good article about this in one of the mc mags. He mentioned all the improvements in the last hundred years and the way we griped about them until we learned to love them. Remember dirt bikes with a six volt spark going through soaked points? Anyway, he explained it perfectly and then said he doesn't like it, either. I'll stick with my carb as long as I can.  Smiley  

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #9 - 08/02/11 at 03:05:28

Honda's new CBR250 is a thumper, and FI too, to maybe there'll still be a few around.

And I haven't had any trouble yet with my '99 Ranger, it's been a pretty good reliable ride for the last 12 years.

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #10 - 08/02/11 at 03:57:40

The 94 was anvil solid until last week. Not a hint of trouble, then...

The 92 runs great, but Fraud in its infinite wisdom fatally designed the inner fender as a welded on cab component.

So the short bed doesn't run right, and the long bed is a total. And the computers are different generations, not interchangeable.

I suppose i could swap in a carbed 302 and a real transmission, but why bother? I have 3 full sizes too. And the Dodges are a lot more comfortable. Drove the C10 for the first time Saturday to rescue the Ranger, it can go away as well, not designed for someone over 6' tall with 13EEE boots.

I'd rather see the Savage quietly fade into the sunset than see it kitted up with FI and the related electrical nonsense. Let it join the other classics in the dusty annals of history. It would be in good company... AJS, Matchless, Norton, BSA, Triumph (new ones don't count as real), Harley (died in 1964), Indian, etc.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #11 - 08/02/11 at 04:15:44

WD wrote on 08/01/11 at 17:01:19:
John_D FSO wrote on 07/31/11 at 07:01:13:

Fraud is finally killing off that miserable excuse for a mini truck? Good riddance. Mine started throwing an intermittent check engine light with associated cylinder drop off. New wires, plugs, battery (cooked on header, worn out, cracked respectively). Can hit 55 in 3rd gear, but drive more than a couple miles and it does it again. At low speeds, like 35-40 mph low speeds. And of course, almost nothing from the 92 parts junker fits the 94. I can't wait to take the backhoe to the trucklets.

Unless you want to come get them?

I'd rather fix "Standartenfurher" anyway (my 72 Super Beetle). Same color as the General Lee, but a lot smaller, so it is only a Colonel.  Wink And, it has a carb and a POINTS distributor, none of that fancy crap that is guaranteed to cornhole you in the middle of nowhere.

WD, if you have "check engine" issues with your [gas operated] pickup, chances are it's the mechanic's fault.
My [diesel] truck had the same issues, mistery gremlins lighting up the red "check engine" alarm for anything from hitting a pothole to slowing down after a long, flawless drive at 60-70mph+ (100-110kmh+).
The engine would switch to "protected mode" also known as "limp home" mode: the turbine would deliver no more than the bare minimum pressure, the EMS would inject only the bare minimum fuel and the engine would deliver only the bare minimum horsepower...
Tongue
After months and months of fruitless investigation, it turned out one of the wires driving the injectors (mine's a "common rail - high pressure injector" TDi) had been clipped into its seat with only one of the two clips snapping into place; all you needed was a pothole or even just a litthe engine judder and the wires would jiggle just a little, but enough for the EMS to read a "injector malfunction" and switch into [lame mule] mode.

Once we discovered what it was, it was only a matter of ensuring the wires would "double click" into place and the issue was solved successfully !

Else... it may be you do much too much slow "loping along" driving, and your EGR valve is mucked up (and the intake manifold along with it).

Fill up with the highest octane fuel available, pour in an excess dose of STP Carb/Injector cleaner (i.e., if the label reads "one bottle for 20 gals" you pour in two, even three bottles) and take a long, high rpm drive (i.e. do NOT engage overdrive)  in order to burn your oxygen and lambda sensors clean and suck and burn all the oil muck wich condensed inside your intake manifold.

If your truck's a diesel, fill up with high-cetane diesel (SHELL call it "V-Power") and use the "diesel injector cleaner" bottles.

It worked for me  Cool AND it's cheaper than going to Johnny Wrench'em  Wink

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #12 - 08/02/11 at 11:44:33

The trouble is if the S40 had FI all these tinkers here wouldn't have a carb to take apart,But with FI you could still use Sea Foam. Smiley

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #13 - 08/02/11 at 12:51:31

Two words: Power Commander  Wink

Mpescatori, we don't have a diesel minitruck in the states.  I think the smallest diesel truck you can get here is the Ford F-250, which is huge.  If VW brought back their minitruck and gave it the TDI, I'd be all over it.  

Who cares about the Ranger anyway.. it's just a Mazda B-series  Wink

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #14 - 08/02/11 at 15:56:35

Boule’tard wrote on 08/02/11 at 12:51:31:
Two words: Power Commander  Wink

Mpescatori, we don't have a diesel minitruck in the states.  I think the smallest diesel truck you can get here is the Ford F-250, which is huge.  If VW brought back their minitruck and gave it the TDI, I'd be all over it.  

Who cares about the Ranger anyway.. it's just a Mazda B-series  Wink
I know, that's where the cloth buckets in my Ranger came from. Grin

It always irritates me when I see some of the vehicle options available in other countries, particularly on vehicles based here.  Take the Ranger for an example.  Go almost anywhere else, and you can get it with a decent little diesel engine, and four ACTUAL doors.  Same with passenger cars: I'd love a diesel Focus or something, like the UK has.  It looks like they finally got the Mahindra (sp) imported from India with a diesel; they had quite a time getting all the "legal" stuff finalized.  Supposed to be a decent little rig I guess? Huh
http://www.dfwmahindra.com/index.php?x=vehicleinfo

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 12:30:27

General CategoryThe Cafe › 2013 FI S40?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.