Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
A really really new guy here. (Read 355 times)
Cloudyday
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

A really really new guy here.
07/28/11 at 12:15:21

Hey all, been lurking for a few weeks.  This is a great forum.  Just got an '06 S40 about 2 weeks ago, love it.  Not only is my bike new to me, but I'm new to riding.  The MSF course and 2 weeks on the S40 is the sum total of my experience so far.  Here are my questions:

1) What do you suggest as the "no rider should be without" accessories for a newbie?

2) What should be the first things I should think about getting for the bike itself to make the riding experience better?

I realize this is very subjective, everyone is going to have their own opinions, but that's what I want to hear - what do you think?  

Thanks to all in advance, and I hope that one day I might be able to contribute something worthwhile to the forum.

IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Re: A really really new guy here.
Reply #1 - 07/28/11 at 12:48:25

Two words....... Fork Brace.    Either a SuperBrace or a TKat Brace. Doesn't matter which one. One looks nicer but the other one is cheaper. Your choice.

AL

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 07/28/11 at 13:06:04

I'd check out the seat lift mod in the Tech section... for comfort...

Welcome,
ride safe,
Serow

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #3 - 07/28/11 at 13:09:59

Cloudyday wrote on 07/28/11 at 12:15:21:
Hey all, been lurking for a few weeks.  This is a great forum.  Just got an '06 S40 about 2 weeks ago, love it.  Not only is my bike new to me, but I'm new to riding.  The MSF course and 2 weeks on the S40 is the sum total of my experience so far.  Here are my questions:

1) What do you suggest as the "no rider should be without" accessories for a newbie?

2) What should be the first things I should think about getting for the bike itself to make the riding experience better?

I realize this is very subjective, everyone is going to have their own opinions, but that's what I want to hear - what do you think?  

Thanks to all in advance, and I hope that one day I might be able to contribute something worthwhile to the forum.

1. Full face helmet

2. Earplugs

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #4 - 07/28/11 at 13:18:06

That's tough, not knowing your riding habits and such.  But the first thing that came to my mind was something for WHEN (not if) you get caught out in the rain.  Whether it be actual rain gear, or just a towel to dry off LOL.    

But I guess before that... do you have saddlebags or any kind of way to carry stuff?  Saddlebags was one of my first additions.  

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Sunchasers

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks the Rockies!

Northern Colorado
Reply #5 - 07/28/11 at 13:32:25

Depending on your height and leg length, I would go for the forward control extensions (either Ed L's or Routy's).  They are reasonably priced, easy to install and you would not believe the difference in the comfort!  Wink

1987 LS650P, Blue/Purple, stock w/ white spacer mod, 2-1/4 turns, Raptor petcock, seat ht. mod, Verslavy, Routys F.C., 8300 mi
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #6 - 07/28/11 at 14:12:28

Check out the Tech section Table of Contents personally check out things like Road Spares and such that you should have with you at all times.

Welcome  Cool

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #7 - 07/28/11 at 14:18:03

A china marker to write on the tank or mirror the mileage at which you will need to get gas.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #8 - 07/28/11 at 14:18:17

A big windshield so your not being blown of the bike.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #9 - 07/28/11 at 15:05:53

Never leave home without your license and registration.

As far as the accessories I agree with piglet, saddlebags are great for taking whatever you need. I Once traveled 800 miles with a tent, sleeping bag, ground pad, one litre water bottle, two cans of beans, sleeve of crackers, camp stove, MSR fuel bottle, jacket, tool pouch with many hand tools, and one extra change of clothes all stuffed into a set of small saddlebags.

IP Logged
Cloudyday
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 07/28/11 at 16:06:41

Thanks for the feedback.  Good ideas.  I have a full-face helmet already.  And the bike came with set of saddlebags, but they are kind of beat up and definitely not my style, so I will be looking to replace them.  In the meantime, they are functional at least.

Good idea to check the Tech section and the Road Spares thread, I guess I missed that when I was perusing the different pages on the forum

ALfromNH, I guess I haven't ridden enough yet to know that fork braces are advisable on this bike.  Do they really make that much of a difference?

Are there any little gizmos or gadgets you all have discovered that make riding more enjoyable or fun?

Thanks all for the ideas!

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #11 - 07/28/11 at 16:48:10

+1 on the fork braces..best money spent on the bike.   I also like a windshield in Spring and Autumn (I don't use the f___ word!) when on a motorcycle forumn. Cheesy

IP Logged
lukeduck

"Come to terms
with the ass that
bears you"

Ontario, Ca.
Reply #12 - 07/28/11 at 17:20:20

Helmet-Armored jacket-Good, tough pants, Good boots. Put gasoline credit card in pocket. Start riding. Keep riding.

IP Logged
cafdad
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Northern IL
Reply #13 - 07/28/11 at 17:26:28

Personally, full face helmet, proper motorcycle gloves, jacket with armor, pants with protection from road rash, possibly a high vis vest.

For the bike, I like the suzuki oem windshield.  It blocks just enough wind that the higher speeds no longer make you feel like you are going to get blown off but it is small enough that you look over it and barely notice it is there.

Just my two cents.

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #14 - 07/28/11 at 17:31:34

You should not be without your full wits and dexterity. No drugs or alcohol. Safety equipment as you can tolerate. As much of the other stuff mentioned before as you can use and enjoy. And a grain of salt to take with my advice. Welcome, and ride safe.   Smiley

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 13:37:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › A really really new guy here.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.