Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
A really really new guy here. (Read 355 times)
Cloudyday
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: A really really new guy here.
Reply #15 - 07/28/11 at 19:16:02

Thanks for all the good advice!

IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #16 - 07/28/11 at 20:14:28

RUN don't walk to your nearest Barns & Noble book store and buy:

"Proficient Motorcycling"

And

"More Proficient Motorcycling"  -both by David L. Hough.

These are by far the best and most comprehensive two books ever written on motorcycling. (Should be required reading by everyone who ever has, ever does, or ever will ride a motorcycle). These books can literally save your life.

..Oh, and as for the little things, through away the cheap tool kit that came with the bike, and replace it with quality stainless steel tools, also a handlebar clock is a nice item to have.  Cheesy

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #17 - 07/28/11 at 20:41:10

I haven't seen it mentioned, but a good air gauge is nice to have. Check your tires before each ride. Get one with the nipple to the side, not straight on. (Rear tire is a little difficult to check) Pressure is usually stamped on side of tire but I believe ours are 30psi front, 32psi rear?
Also, if you don't have a service manual or owners manual, you can download them both in the tech section.

IP Logged
bluesrockdoc
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 07/29/11 at 02:01:30

Helmet

Saddlebags

Mileage (ride, then ride some more)

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #19 - 07/29/11 at 10:19:10

drums1 wrote on 07/28/11 at 20:41:10:
I haven't seen it mentioned, but a good air gauge is nice to have. Check your tires before each ride. Get one with the nipple to the side, not straight on. (Rear tire is a little difficult to check) Pressure is usually stamped on side of tire but I believe ours are 30psi front, 32psi rear?
Also, if you don't have a service manual or owners manual, you can download them both in the tech section.

The pressure stamped on the side of the tire has little to do with what is the best pressure for that bike.  That side-of-the-tire pressure is something the nanny-state makes the manufacturers put on the side of the tire -- it is simply the max load that tire can carry for a given pressure as told to them by the authorities.

If you increase the pressure, you can carry more load, and vice versa.

As a starting point, use the pressures shown on the nanny-state sticker on the frame of the bike, which should be the same as the recommended pressures in the owners manual.

The only real pressure consideration is to use whatever pressure provides the best balance between safety (minimizing heat build up) and performance (lower pressures make for more traction).

What would really be handy would be to know what the max load was for a range of pressures.  Sometimes on a Goldwang with a fat wife, you might want to add 20psi to keep the tire from heating up.  Sometimes on a lightweight bike with a lightweight rider taking a road course at the Barber motorcycle park, you might use 20 psi less than the sidewall pressure.

Sorry, I tend to ramble a bit.  To sum up, the pressure and load on the side of the tire don't mean diddly.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 07/29/11 at 11:08:23

I'm with gyro! It's some max load crap tire itself can handle. Owner's manual gives much lower pressure the bike needs. I'm guessing that one is right.  Cheesy  I pump mine to 2.4 bar regardless.

IP Logged
Tiefighterpilot

Daily Rider

San Francisco
Reply #21 - 07/29/11 at 21:24:54

After riding on my suzuki for over a year... one thing came very clear.  ERGONOMICS.  Get the handlebar, foward control and seat perfect for your body.  IF the handlebar is too low and you have short arms, you will get lot of pain in back and shoulder.  If leg too long, extend forward control.  If you butt is not comfortable... look for a new seat.

2007 S40, KN Cone Air Filter, BCB Pipe, BCB Fender and seat, Superbrace Fork Brace with guard, 55 Pilot, 155 Main, washer mod, iridium spark plug, no afterfire, some engine breaking noise
  IP Logged
Arizuno

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Prescott, AZ
Reply #22 - 07/30/11 at 18:58:39

Thanks for posting this, Cloudyday, and thanks to all who responded. As a fellow newbie, I wonder why I didn't ask these guys for this info myself; this has to be one of the web's best forums, so many members so non-judgmentally willing to help. And special thanks to Starlifter, who brought Mr. Hough's books to my attention. So far, the best thing I've done for myself is incrementally more challenging practice - but I do see a TKat in my future... Smiley

White '07, OEM wind screen, 1" seat lift, re-shaped OEM seat, seat beads, TKat, Dyna muffler (Serowbot), Raptor petcock, seat pins (Verslagen1), Big Crank.
  IP Logged
PiaFea

Against the Wind !

Houston, Texas - USA
Reply #23 - 08/02/11 at 13:30:51

- Keep about $ 10 in tools pouch keep on the bike for unexpected dry gas tank.
- A mesh jacket for summer riding  
- Saddlebags with tie down bungee cords
- Full face helmet or half-helmet with good riding eyewear.
- Full attention to surrounding when riding
- Riding gloves
(above not in any priority order)

Of course we could ride naked if we choose too, but I don't think it is recommended Smiley

Happy and Safe riding.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 15:31:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › A really really new guy here.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.