Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Quick Battery Question (Read 73 times)
Mattdw

Frisco, TX
Quick Battery Question
07/28/11 at 08:08:52

Going to look at an '07 S40 tonight that has a dead battery. It's been sitting for almost a year.
I'm going to jump start it.
I already have an '02 Savage and the +pos terminal is on the side of the bike with the key and the petcock.
Can someone confirm conclusively the same is true on the '07 ?

Many Thanks!
Matt

IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Re: Quick Battery Question
Reply #1 - 07/28/11 at 08:18:40

That sounds right, however, when I jumped mine I just skipped the battery altogether.  

Hooked the negative to the frame for ground, turned the key on, held the clutch and touched the positive cable to the post on the starter.  Jumper cables have great big clamps and those posts are itty bitty.  Of course, if you had a set of cables made for a bike things might be different.

Just my $0.02 worth.  Take it for what it's worth and I am sure someone else will chime in with more (and maybe better) information.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
feelinjunky

No Comment

NJ
Reply #2 - 07/28/11 at 08:53:51

Nothing is conclusive because you don't know what the previous owner did to the bike. Just because there is a red rubber sleeve around the terminal doesn't mean jack. You have to look on the battery for the big + sign. It's 3 screws MAX to access it. If not, use the above method to jump start. Take the extra 2 minutes and play it safe.

IP Logged
papi_ocho

super stock thumper

Oceanside, CA
Reply #3 - 07/28/11 at 09:10:23

prechermike wrote on 07/28/11 at 08:18:40:
That sounds right, however, when I jumped mine I just skipped the battery altogether.  

Hooked the negative to the frame for ground, turned the key on, held the clutch and touched the positive cable to the post on the starter.  Jumper cables have great big clamps and those posts are itty bitty.  Of course, if you had a set of cables made for a bike things might be different.

Just my $0.02 worth.  Take it for what it's worth and I am sure someone else will chime in with more (and maybe better) information.

Thats an awesome freaking idea!

Thanks!

06 S-40 ss carbbowl screws, ss valve cover bolts, turn signals lightup w/ brake light(removed for trouble shooting)
06 GS500F gstwins.com
06 Hayabusa.org
  IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #4 - 07/28/11 at 10:42:09

Mattdw wrote on 07/28/11 at 08:08:52:
Going to look at an '07 S40 tonight that has a dead battery. It's been sitting for almost a year.
I already have an '02 Savage and the +pos terminal is on the side of the bike with the key and the petcock.

Many Thanks!
Matt

I'm "positive"  Cheesy that the negative terminal is on the left side of the bike where the key and petcock are located.  Therefore the positive terminal is on the right side.  This is true unless for some reason you or somebody used a different battery or modified the set-up.

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
OE

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Panama City, FL
Reply #5 - 07/28/11 at 10:51:19

Mattdw wrote on 07/28/11 at 08:08:52:

Many Thanks!
Matt

The positive terminal on mine is on the right side of the bike, the side with the toolbox, not the side with the ignition switch.  I just checked the Clymer manual and it shows it to be that way.

IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 07/28/11 at 12:01:22

I guess every battery MUST have it stamped where + and - are?? It's not in fuorescent writing, but... should be visible enough. Check the old battery.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 14:27:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Quick Battery Question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.