Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Adjusting belt tension (Read 85 times)
runrun

Thump thump

Erie, CO
Adjusting belt tension
07/27/11 at 13:10:10

My bike is missing the special belt tension tool that's supposed to be in the stock tool kit.  

Any suggestions for doing the job without the special tool?  Chain adjustment is just done by measuring distance.  Are belts that different?

IP Logged
CalisOsin

Rather die, than
live down on my
knees.

Orange County, Ca
Re: Adjusting belt tension
Reply #1 - 07/27/11 at 13:14:36

You can check it by twisting the belt, should twist between 45 and 90 degrees (depending on who you ask)

'97, k&n airfilter, bcb pipe, custom leather seat, monoshock, custom bars
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #2 - 07/27/11 at 13:21:35

CalisOsin wrote on 07/27/11 at 13:14:36:
You can check it by twisting the belt, should twist between 45 and 90 degrees (depending on who you ask)

If you asked me I would say 90 deg. This puts it just inside the range of the belt tester. I like it a little on the loose side because if you pick up a stone in the belt it will do less damage if the belt is a bit on the loose side.
While you are adjusting it don't forget to center it as well. Get the rear wheel off the ground, put it in neutral, and turn the wheel. Adjust till the belt runs in the center of the rear pulley.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
runrun

Thump thump

Erie, CO
Reply #3 - 07/27/11 at 13:26:08

Thanks guys.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #4 - 07/27/11 at 13:31:08

I just did mine yesterday, (after rear tire change) and did the 90 deg thing.

Then I use the measured marks for distance side to side, but that didn't work, as they were a 1/4 mark off when I got the belt aligned.
I aligned the belt by using a (16 ga) shim between the belt and the edge of the rear pulley.....at the bottom where the belt enters the pulley. This was my own idea, and so far seems to be quite accurate. It is quiet, and I'm keeping an eye on it.  

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 02:14:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Adjusting belt tension

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.