Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Baffling situation! (Read 194 times)
ksthumper

Olathe, KS
Baffling situation!
07/27/11 at 11:35:47

har har...
So I have this open short muffler that has the silliest baffle i've ever seen in a bike. Kinda useless as baffles go considering there is no back plate to force the air around. I was considering crimping the end of this together (side towards the header) to reduce the open airflow. It actually looks like the end used to have a donut cap on the end of it that was lopped off. Any suggestions?

99 savage: k&n filter, .6 spacer mod, 152.5 main, stock pilot, open HD shorty "muffler" and currently working on bobbing.
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Re: Baffling situation!
Reply #1 - 07/27/11 at 11:39:29

Several aftermarket baffles look like that. All those little tabs are suppopsed to "grab" some of the exhaust as it passes by, but most of it goes right out the center. Not much more than a straight pipe.

Did you see what this guy did to his Jardine baffle? I don't know that your baffle has enough of a lip to do the same though.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1311355746/

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
ksthumper

Olathe, KS
Reply #2 - 07/27/11 at 15:25:33

Yeah to tell you the truth, that was where I got the idea of crimping the end. I just wanted to know if anyone else has messed with it. I'm gonna try it out this weekend with it modified. If all else fails i can just cut the end off again lol

99 savage: k&n filter, .6 spacer mod, 152.5 main, stock pilot, open HD shorty "muffler" and currently working on bobbing.
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #3 - 07/28/11 at 07:51:32

u can wrap it with muff fiberglass and stainless tye wire..
experiment to tune to your liking...

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
onelunger
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 07/28/11 at 10:13:53

Yup, those style baffles are pretty ineffective at quieting down an exhaust. They also tend to create a "poppy" kind of sound. Not my favorite style for a single cyl. engine. For engines that have a natural tendency to get this kind of sound I prefer a "chambered" style exhaust. It tends to create a smoother exhaust note. The packing that should be around it also has a tendency to burn up and blow out, making it even louder. My Jardine had a very similar type of baffle (I'm the one that modded mine).
If there was a "doughnut cap" on the end that was cut off it's going to be difficult to quiet it down. You need that cap to seal off the end. You can take some measurements and go to the local auto parts store and try to find an exhaust reducer that will just fit inside your pipe (it needs to be snug) and can be welded to the baffle.
You may try punching a tab down into the center opening kinda like a "Screaming Eagle" Sportster baffle. This forces some of the exhaust gasses to go to the "outside" of the baffle and it then goes back into the center core (and out the end of the exhaust pipe) via the louvers that are punched into it.

Anytime you can divert the flow of the exhaust it will lose some of it's sound energy and become quieter. If you can maintain a smooth flow and not cause a lot of turbulance you can maintain your power as well.

IP Logged
ksthumper

Olathe, KS
Reply #5 - 07/28/11 at 11:40:10

Well after some tinkering I found that I could stuff a 2" universal baffle insert inside the current baffle perfectly. It reduced the sharpness of the sound but is still very "poppy". I'll try to find some fiberglass matting to cover it and give that a whirl. I'd post a before/after video but my camera over modulates it too much.

If I could find a whole dyna exhaust I'd rather use that but you deal with what you can find ya know?

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #6 - 07/28/11 at 14:18:48

Using Onelunger's link I found some good other good ideas you  might be able to work with...these look similar, but crimped a few inches in from one end.

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
ksthumper

Olathe, KS
Reply #7 - 07/29/11 at 09:30:37

Okay so here's a picture of the baffle with the universal 2" insert. The holes for the mount actually line up perfect for this.

Now what I'm wonderig about is how to wrap the darn thing. I only have about a 1/8" of space where the baffle cuts down for the louvers. Since I have that universal insert blocking the end, can I just roll up some and stuff the baffle with it? Or will that just blow out and smoke forever as the loose fibers burn off?

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #8 - 07/29/11 at 10:02:11

Personally, I would just throw that in and give it a try. Looks like it might work as is. With such a small amount of space, I don't think that you can wrap any additional baffling in there.

IP Logged
ksthumper

Olathe, KS
Reply #9 - 07/29/11 at 10:13:08

Well I I tried it both ways. With the way it was it sounded bad, no backpressure and way to loud. With the 2nd baffle installed it took the sharpness of the sound but pulling back on the throttle made it sound like it was a fully open pipe.

Now I stuffed the packing inside the back end of the baffle and it now sounds more like a softtail and throttle up sounds much smoother.

However now it's puffing black smoke at me. I'm assuming that's the wrap curing? per say.

I'll try to get a video up later for sound.

IP Logged
ksthumper

Olathe, KS
Reply #10 - 07/29/11 at 10:52:58

Took the bike for a quick spin around the block and suffice to say I have some rejecting to do. 1 - 35mph an half throttle are fine but pulling back makes it stutter and on decel the idle dropped VERY low when I rolled to a stop. The difference in backpressure is amazing! Now for the fun of tuning...

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #11 - 07/29/11 at 10:56:35

That stuffing goes around the baffle.It shouldn't change the back pressure hardly at all.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
ksthumper

Olathe, KS
Reply #12 - 07/29/11 at 11:10:40

Oh I know that, it's the second baffle that made the change. I had previously been using a chopped up dyna with the baffle knocked out so going from that to this is why I think there was such a change in performance. Way too rich more than likely.

But what is the hazard of having the packing inside the baffle? It's not likely that it's going to fly out.

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #13 - 07/29/11 at 11:17:30

I think it will just get hot and burn out the first long run. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 00:21:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Baffling situation!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.