Single-fire ignition? (Read 445 times)
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Single-fire ignition?
07/26/11 at 14:41:24

Ok, I've been through this post Tachometers that work on the LS650/S40 at least 100 times, but still can't find my answer.

Almost all the tachs that I find have a small disclaimer stating that "Some bikes with single-fire ignitions will require a tach adapter" and I don't know if ours will require one  Undecided

They also usually state "This mini tach will work on any V-Twin with a dual fire ignition"

Can anyone tell me with any certainty if a tach similar to this ebay tach will work?

Thanks in advance...

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Single-fire ignition?
Reply #1 - 07/26/11 at 15:14:34

This is not a single fire iggy.. It fires every time the piston goes to TDC, exhaust & compression.. Tell the person at the company that & theyll tell you if their tach will work,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
04 Savage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 07/26/11 at 15:18:11

I bought one of those and never got a chance to hook it up.  Let me know if it is compatable

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #3 - 07/26/11 at 15:33:20

This is exactly the one I run on mine since three years. Works great. Dual fire is the one you want.

IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 07/27/11 at 01:19:37

Dual fire is what I had. That's the one.

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #5 - 10/03/11 at 09:52:19

Just a quick update to this post. (Kind of long and wordy, but I dealt with alot of frustration getting this thing installed) I ordered the black tach from this guy on ebay and when it showed up the bezel was bent in 2 places so I sent it back for exchange. When he got it he realized he was out of black faced tachs but offered the "upgrade" to the white faced color changing tach. I agreed and he sent it to me. I attempted to wire it and got the lights to work and change colors as described, but I was unable to get the actual tach to work. Reviewed the tach installation post and tried again, still no response with the tach needle. I sent a nasty email to the vendor telling him it was dead on arrival and he asked me to call him. Called him the next day and told him my problems. First thing he asked was what Hurley I was trying to install it on...told him it was an 05 Suzuki S40 Single Cylinder and he started accusing me that guys keep buying these for import bikes and he can't guarantee they will work. He re-explained the wiring, and a potential test to make sure I get the right lead from the coil. Also offered to refund the money if I sent it back and it was DOA. (This was back in early August, just this weekend I finally got back to trying to install it again) I tried his test of which lead to use from the coil. He said that 1 side of the coil is energized when the key is on and the other side should not be until the bike is started. No matter which way I tried to test it with just the key on both sides of the coil were showing >12v. I went back to the Tach post in the Tech section of this forum and verified which wire to use (black one with a stripe) connected all the wires with test leads (alligator clips on wires) and tadaa the thing worked as it should. I must not of had a solid connection the first time I tried, so this time I wired things up real well and now it works perfectly. Will post up some pics of it on the bike when I get a chance.

Here is the same one from the same eBay seller that I just put on...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/WHITE-MINI-ELECTRIC-TACHOMETER-HARLEY-DAVIDSON...

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #6 - 10/03/11 at 11:28:36

Installed 10/2/11

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #7 - 10/03/11 at 17:22:27

I installed it the same way you did, wedged between the riser clamps. After a while I realized that this is the reason why the illumination bulb keeps crapping out every other week. The vibrations of the handlebar is too much for that location. It eventually broke something off inside the tach as well and it quit working. I got a replacement, same tach, but mounted it with the supplied rubber lined clamp.
Ever since, it's been two years, just one bulb replacement and the tach still works like on day one.
Just a heads up for you, that one mine I had to replace the bulb about every two weeks, and it is a real pain to get the socket through the hole with a pair of needle tweezers. There is also several different bulbs that look the same on first sight, but there is minimal differences in the thickness of the socket. The bulbs have different numbers and it nowhere tells you which on it is. So I just bought them all to find out. Turns out it is #2721.
I still like the look better, mounted like you have and I had the first time, but it will break stuff from vibrations, so I settled for the rubber lined clamp. I got used to the look and have no worries anymore.

IP Logged
SuperSavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 02/24/12 at 11:38:03

EJID, I received my tach in the Mail today. If you have the time and generosity, could you walk me through it with a list of what to connect what on our bikes. Please...

JohnnyCat

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #9 - 02/24/12 at 13:13:39

SuperSavage wrote on 02/24/12 at 11:38:03:
EJID, I received my tach in the Mail today. If you have the time and generosity, could you walk me through it with a list of what to connect what on our bikes. Please...

JohnnyCat

Not a problem...which one did you get?

It's been a little while since I put mine on, but it was easy once you figure out how you are going to access the wiring and connect the correct wires.

I followed the advice posted by T-Mack - FSO in the post referenced at the top of this thread...

Here is what he said...
T Mack 1 - FSO wrote on 03/19/09 at 05:50:03:
Mics info:

There are several types of tachs.    

The mechanical tachs will not work on our bikes without some heavy duty design and machining  work.

The more expensive direct wire ones hook up to the igition coil.  You connect to the small black (with stripe) wire that switches the coil on/off.   And to run the power to the tach, there is "switched" power under the fuel tank.  I believe it's the orange wire but you should double check a wiring diagram to make sure, for your year bike, the colors stayed the same.   The ground can be hooded up to the frame (I used the Ign coil mounting screws).

(I will have my tank off again soon and could shoot you some pics, but don't know if it will be much more help than what has already been posted) Good luck!

IP Logged
SuperSavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 02/24/12 at 15:09:28

Thanks EJ, I'll give it a whack.

BTW, did you have to remove the tank for this install? I have to find my service manual...

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #11 - 02/24/12 at 15:27:26

The only reason you have to remove the tank is to get at the correct wires. My connection for the pickup is real close to the coil which is right under the tank.

Pretty simple installation. Taking the tank off is really easy too. (remove seat, unhook speedo cable from transmission, unbolt back end of the tank, gently work the tank back and up-especially if you still have a stock petcock and when the tank is loose unhook the 1 wiring connection under the gauges) Keep an eye out for the rubber bumpers that are on the sides of the frame, I had one pop off and roll away without noticing and made reinstallation a trick until I figured out what was missing and found it.  Huh

IP Logged
SuperSavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 02/24/12 at 15:58:26

EJ, my Tack looks just like yours minus the writing on the bottom. It is made in Taiwan, cost $46 shipped. It has 4 wires, the schematic states that the green wire connects to the neg. terminal of the coil, black is ground, blue to lamp on, and red to ignition "on" DC 12V.

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #13 - 02/27/12 at 07:26:50

SuperSavage wrote on 02/24/12 at 15:58:26:
EJ, my Tack looks just like yours minus the writing on the bottom. It is made in Taiwan, cost $46 shipped. It has 4 wires, the schematic states that the green wire connects to the neg. terminal of the coil, black is ground, blue to lamp on, and red to ignition "on" DC 12V.

I think mine only had 4 wires too, and I tied the lamp and the ingnition ones together on the power source I found, attached the ground to the frame then the pickup line to the correct side of the coil. Easy-peasy, lemon-squeasy  Grin

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 02/27/12 at 09:01:54

EJID wrote on 02/27/12 at 07:26:50:
SuperSavage wrote on 02/24/12 at 15:58:26:

I think mine only had 4 wires too, and I tied the lamp and the ingnition ones together on the power source I found, attached the ground to the frame then the pickup line to the correct side of the coil. Easy-peasy, lemon-squeasy  Grin

Easy-peasy, lemon-squeasy

I read that

& I thot cheesy!

Its okay to be mean as long as it rhymes, innit?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 16:21:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Single-fire ignition?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.