babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Oops, I forgot...
07/26/11 at 11:31:50

Riding to work this morning, I was stopped at a light.  See a policeman coming from my left.  He cut off a little Y street that cuts behind where I'm sitting at my light, and rolled into a gas station to my right.  Since a friend at work has been pulled over twice this riding season just for license/registation/inspection/endorsement/insurance verification, it quickly came to mind that I left the house without my license!  Oh mercy, don't come after me dude.  He pulled into a parking space at the gas station.  Whew!!  I was very happy the light turned green and I headed out of there!

To my benefit, I was carrying my vehicle registration and my motorcycle safety completion card, insurance certificate, and my inspection sticker is good.  He mighta let me off easy...   Embarrassed     

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Oops, I forgot...
Reply #1 - 07/26/11 at 11:50:15

You bad girl, you...  Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
CalisOsin

Rather die, than
live down on my
knees.

Orange County, Ca
Reply #2 - 07/26/11 at 12:23:55

Just curious... how did you have all that other stuff and NOT your license?

'97, k&n airfilter, bcb pipe, custom leather seat, monoshock, custom bars
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #3 - 07/26/11 at 13:02:37

CalisOsin wrote on 07/26/11 at 12:23:55:
Just curious... how did you have all that other stuff and NOT your license?

I leave all that stuff in my pack on the bike all the time.  I usually carry my license in my purse, and just grab it (and my debit card!) when I ride the bike.

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
CalisOsin

Rather die, than
live down on my
knees.

Orange County, Ca
Reply #4 - 07/26/11 at 13:58:18

got it! You ought to memorize your DL number. I've forgotten mine too and the cop was much less anxious(but still a little peeved) when I at least gave him the number.

'97, k&n airfilter, bcb pipe, custom leather seat, monoshock, custom bars
  IP Logged
Sunchasers

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks the Rockies!

Northern Colorado
Reply #5 - 07/26/11 at 15:14:54

babyhog wrote on 07/26/11 at 11:31:50:
To my benefit, I was carrying my vehicle registration and my motorcycle safety completion card, insurance certificate, and my inspection sticker is good.  He mighta let me off easy...   Embarrassed     

Ummmm... what do they do to "outta-staters" where all that stuff isn't required??   Undecided

1987 LS650P, Blue/Purple, stock w/ white spacer mod, 2-1/4 turns, Raptor petcock, seat ht. mod, Verslavy, Routys F.C., 8300 mi
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 07/26/11 at 15:28:09

Do you got a automobile safety card too?

If not, that's discriminatory.  Dam cagers should know how to shave, eat, talk and put on their makeup safely.   Angry

WWW   IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #7 - 07/26/11 at 15:38:20

Sunchasers wrote on 07/26/11 at 15:14:54:

Ummmm... what do they do to "outta-staters" where all that stuff isn't required??   Undecided

Agreed...all we're required to have is vehicle license, current registration, proof of minimum liability insurance, driver's license w/MC endorsement. Wonder what happens when I cross state lines...  Undecided

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #8 - 07/26/11 at 17:52:46

I can't afford the gas to cross a state line.    Sad

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Z

Ride Baby Ride!!!

Northwestern PA
Reply #9 - 07/26/11 at 17:56:33

A friend of mine goes all over the place, crossing state lines. She says that when they are planning on crossing state lines they look in to the laws for the state they are going to so they can be sure they have whatever is required. For example, in PA helmets are by choice (yes I know there are a few exceptions) but if you cross over into NY, helmets are the law so if you (are stupid and) don't wear a helmet you had better have one with you so you can put it on at the border.

Sanity runs from my family!
  IP Logged
Silly Ogre

Former S40 Owner

Stuarts Draft VA
Reply #10 - 07/26/11 at 17:57:38

In VA you cannot be pulled over for just a license check...I thought that was all states...You have to have probable cause to stop a vehicle, due to the fact that your detaining that person you  must have a reason...That is why traffic checkpoints should be quick and painless if done right...That is the only time we can do license checks and the only things we ask for are license and veh registration...I have been doing this long enough that I am not getting worked up if someone forgets their license...As long as they know their social security number and date of birth, they are fine...

2009 V-Star Classic 650...Silly Ogre is what one of my twin daughters call me...Guess I remind her of Shrek LOL...
  IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #11 - 07/26/11 at 18:37:12

Oh Piglet, your allowed to forget once in awhle.
Glad it didn't cost you a ticket.. Smiley kim

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #12 - 07/26/11 at 22:15:41

Me and my buddy got stopped once for doing 50 in a 35mph zone,.... and we took so long tearing his bike apart, looking for his current insurance card (he didn't have one)... that the cop let us go with a warning...
Grin Grin Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #13 - 07/27/11 at 01:42:00

I was riding my Savage across the states and my license plate fell off in Casper Wyoming. I had to ride thru Wyoming, Nebraska and Iowa before I got to settle in Illinois long enough to have a paper replacement sent from Oregon. 3 days!  Never got stopped til I put the replacement on then I got stopped twice because the cops couldn't read it.

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #14 - 07/27/11 at 06:35:10

Requirements here are endorsement on your license, current insurance, current inspection, and current vehicle registration.  I assumed that was pretty standard, with the exception of inspection, not required in some states.  I just happened to have my safety card (not required) but at least it shows that I took the course.  When you take (and pass) the course, your license endorsement is granted without taking the special DMV test.  

As far as crossing state lines, its up to you to know the laws where you are going.  I assume if your state doesn't require inspection, it wouldn't be required here, but helmets are required, so you would still have to have a helmet no matter what.  But riders should know that.

And someone here at work asked about the legitimacy of pulling you over just for that.  I really don't know, and didn't think it was legal either, but that's what they told my friend when they pulled him over.  

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 14:28:44

General CategoryThe Cafe › Oops, I forgot...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.