Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Anybody else got an itch? (Read 251 times)
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Anybody else got an itch?
07/26/11 at 05:25:17

The mosquitos have been horrible here lately.  I think I have more mosquito bites on my body now than I have had in the last 10 years combined.  Granted, I've been in the woods more, but they were even talking on the news this morning about how bad they are.  Hot, damp weather, the little suckers are breeding healthy and they are loving me this year!  

So... is anyone else having trouble with them.  And what kind of home remedies do you use??  (I've used several different anti-itch sprays, gels, and even a sting scrub.  They help for maybe a few hours!)

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
CBH
YaBB Newbies

Mid Ohio Valley
Re: Anybody else got an itch?
Reply #1 - 07/26/11 at 06:03:13

I haven't noticed any more mosquitoes, but the wasps are thick around here this summer! I've been stung twice in the last week. Both times on my right hand.....and it hurt like he!! !  

1986 Suzuki Savage LS650
1993 GoldWing GL1500 Interstate
1984 Honda Shadow VT700
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #2 - 07/26/11 at 06:19:32

Funny you should ask- I just heard a blurb on the TV about an I-pod app that generates a high frequency tone that kills them. Grin

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Sunchasers

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks the Rockies!

Northern Colorado
Reply #3 - 07/26/11 at 08:06:02

Toothpaste or hemorrhoid cream, paste of baking soda & water, and aloe vera are just some of the ones we have used in the past.  Not sure they work any better or worse than commercial remedies.  Wink   Never tried it, but been told to try rubbing raw garlic on the bit too.  Smiley

1987 LS650P, Blue/Purple, stock w/ white spacer mod, 2-1/4 turns, Raptor petcock, seat ht. mod, Verslavy, Routys F.C., 8300 mi
  IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #4 - 07/26/11 at 08:13:03

Ok I just received an E-mail on this.
Bounce dryer sheets, place on belt loop
or item of clothing when outside. Will
repel mosquitos and hornets. Also other
great uses..
I haven't tried this yet as just received
the E-mail..
Piglet, them mosquitos love us sweet gals..Smiley kim

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #5 - 07/26/11 at 08:26:28

kimchris1 wrote on 07/26/11 at 08:13:03:
Ok I just received an E-mail on this.
Bounce dryer sheets, place on belt loop
or item of clothing when outside. Will
repel mosquitos and hornets. Also other
great uses..
I haven't tried this yet as just received
the E-mail..
Piglet, them mosquitos love us sweet gals..Smiley kim

Used that trick camping before and everyone teased my wife for rubbing herself with a Bounce sheet, but, she did get less bites than everyone else.

On the other hand, on our camping trip 2 wks ago we didn't take the Bounce and everyone was asking about it.  Huh My oldest daughter seems to get eatin alive by mosquitos every year while I suffer 1 or 2 to her 20+ in one afternoon camping.

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
CalisOsin

Rather die, than
live down on my
knees.

Orange County, Ca
Reply #6 - 07/26/11 at 09:02:05

Toothpaste helps with the itch but doesn't repel them. I've used those "Off" fans that you clip to your hip with great success.

'97, k&n airfilter, bcb pipe, custom leather seat, monoshock, custom bars
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #7 - 07/26/11 at 10:27:06

Well that gives me a few things to try.  Thanks!  Kimmy I had used the Bounce sheets a few years ago, but forgot about them.  Thanks for the reminder.  I guess I've been super-sweet the last 2 weekends.  Hubby must be sour, cause they are flocking to me, not so bad to him.  LOL   EJID, that's funny about the camping trips.  Always works that way, huh.

Hemorrhoid cream?  That's just wrong.  LOL  And I don't think I could handle the garlic either.  But I think I've heard the toothpaste idea before.  I'll try almost anything to be able to sleep without waking up itching.

Still can't find my Avon Skin-so-soft either!    

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #8 - 07/26/11 at 10:39:38

I find that drinking gin and tonics help keep them away- they don't like the quinine. Either that or I can't feel them anymore. Grin Grin

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #9 - 07/26/11 at 11:19:54

arteacher wrote on 07/26/11 at 10:39:38:
I find that drinking gin and tonics help keep them away- they don't like the quinine. Either that or I can't feel them anymore. Grin Grin

Now that's the best idea yet!!   Cool

IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #10 - 07/26/11 at 14:04:46

Get you a couple of cans of repell at wal-mart. Anywhere from 29% to 40% deet in it.
While your getting the bug off get a tube of Ivarest in the pharmacy. Anti-itch cream works on skeeter bites to poison ivy. Good Stuff!

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #11 - 07/26/11 at 14:24:58

arteacher wrote on 07/26/11 at 10:39:38:

Yes, and sadly.. beer attracts them  :'(

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 07/26/11 at 15:00:47

Crush leaves from a citronella plant & rub them on you.
when I was about 23,( 33 years ago)  this guy & I were traveling around, Texas, La. Alabama, Florida,, picking up jobs,, & sometimes we'd have to sleep on the road.. It was just outside of Baton Rouge, 3 or 4 AM,, he was on the hood, no socks or shoes, shirt open,, sleepin like a baby.. I was in the back, under every possible thing I culd get under to try to keep the blasted blood suckers off,, I couldnt sl;eep,, they just kept buzzing & humming & biting,, absolutely Maddening,, So,, I woke my pahdnuh up & told h8im to get in the car.. If I cant sleep,, I mite as well drive..

He had nothing, no kind of skeeter repellant,, they just werent buggin him.. BUt, Down on Black Bayou in La, when we were working nites, overhaulin Rowan Rig 15..they ate Him UP.. Between us, we went thru a big can of off every nite & they still ate us alive..

Cutters is the best skeeter repellant I ever used.. & Ive used a bunch of them,. but I wont use any of them now,, no more pesticides for me.. no sun screen, either,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Silly Ogre

Former S40 Owner

Stuarts Draft VA
Reply #13 - 07/26/11 at 18:03:25

Look for a product called Bite me not or similar name...We use them when camping...

2009 V-Star Classic 650...Silly Ogre is what one of my twin daughters call me...Guess I remind her of Shrek LOL...
  IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #14 - 07/27/11 at 01:24:05

Piglet, go to bass pro or cabelas and get one of the battery/butane  powered mosquito repellers. Cant remember the name of em now, you slide a sheet of stuff in them and turn em on. Lasts about 8 hours. I got friends down south swear by them.
Wont spook game, no smell and their made for hunters. Fairly sturdy and refillable.
Wal-mart sells a cheaper version youve probably seen advertised on TV by OFF.

Hunting in your stand you could use a centonella candle or bucket. Id just be sure to burn it a few times before season so they could get used to the smell. They smell it a few times in the area they wont associate it with danger if their not spooked by something.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 12:22:18

General CategoryThe Cafe › Anybody else got an itch?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.