Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
straight bars, do ya like 'em? (Read 260 times)
groupus

Maintenance is as
much art as it is
science.

PA
straight bars, do ya like 'em?
07/25/11 at 22:10:59

I'm looking at making something... it would result in having broom-handle straight bars with maybe 4-6 inches of rise. can anybody who has them tell me how comfortable they are? I do a lot of long distance riding.

Thanks,
-G

Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~Hunter Thompson

'03 Savage bobber. Rebuilt too many times.
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Re: straight bars, do ya like 'em?
Reply #1 - 07/26/11 at 05:36:20

I have Flander's broomstick handlebars. I bought them because with the stock drag bars there was 4 1/2" pullback, plus the 1 1/2" pullback of the stock risers, which with the Corbin seat, had me leaning back a bit, which was not comfy on my back. With the flanders I lean forward a bit which is very comfy on my back, but my arms are almost straight, which bothers the arthritis in my shoulders and hurts my neck after a while, because I have to hold my head back a bit to keep it level.
Another issue which comes in to play is wrist position. I find the lack of angle at my wrists more comfortable, except when using the turn signal switch because you have to pivot your wrist more to get your thumb on the switch. I got used to that. I have ordered Rox adjustable riser extensions to bring the bars back and up a couple of inches. I should be good to go then. :
Bottom line: If you don't have arthritis you should be fine.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
SoE

Rollin' the dice on
fire...

East TN
Reply #2 - 07/26/11 at 07:55:55

LOVE EM. Mine have no rise at all, so I rotated the controls forward a bit to keep from bashing the tank. It works fine, but I wouldn't take that bike on a long ride. It definitely fatigues your arms more after a while.

One thing that helped me is adjusting the clutch to be a little easier to pull and release. It made a difference.

IP Logged
drulg
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 07/26/11 at 08:12:39

I had them up until last week, they were ok but they kill my wrist specially on the clutch side, if I was you I'll try to find something with at least a couple of degree of bend

IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #4 - 07/26/11 at 08:20:49

Personally, I don't like them but never had them on one of my bikes, just have sat on some bikes with straight(er) bars.

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
CalisOsin

Rather die, than
live down on my
knees.

Orange County, Ca
Reply #5 - 07/26/11 at 09:17:59

I've got drag bars with just a little pullback and love them. I'm a young guy though so my back doesn't hurt and neither do my wrists. Broomstick bars just look... unfinished... to me. I don't know the right word, but I'm not a fan.

'97, k&n airfilter, bcb pipe, custom leather seat, monoshock, custom bars
  IP Logged
groupus

Maintenance is as
much art as it is
science.

PA
Reply #6 - 07/26/11 at 11:45:30

I'm looking to build something like T-bars or window bars but with the vertical tubes on the inside, between the risers. it'll be real skinny  Grin. i'd be using 1" tubing of some kind, but i don't have a way of bending.

something like this:

Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~Hunter Thompson

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #7 - 07/26/11 at 15:59:31

CalisOsin wrote on 07/26/11 at 09:17:59:
I've got drag bars with just a little pullback and love them. I'm a young guy though so my back doesn't hurt and neither do my wrists. Broomstick bars just look... unfinished... to me. I don't know the right word, but I'm not a fan.

Where did you get them?

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Smokestack

The Devil made me do
it!

The Hammer, Canada
Reply #8 - 07/26/11 at 17:33:06

My bars might as well be straight.  They've only got about 3 degrees of bend in 'em, and are supa-skinny.  I dig that feel, but they are a bit taller, with 7" rise.  Puts my wrists at shoulder height, which I find real comfy.  No complaints yet.

If you're makin' T's, give them at least that much rise, and I bet they'll feel pretty similar.

My Frisco's:

Yup, I done some stuff......
  IP Logged
CalisOsin

Rather die, than
live down on my
knees.

Orange County, Ca
Reply #9 - 07/27/11 at 07:59:50

arteacher - they were given to me by my brother who had them laying around from another project. I'll ask him though and get back to you.

'97, k&n airfilter, bcb pipe, custom leather seat, monoshock, custom bars
  IP Logged
skeebo

Ride It Like U Stole
It........

Fresno, Cali
Reply #10 - 07/27/11 at 22:23:43

I made my bars from 1'' DOM tubing (about 10 bucks) they have about 3 Deg. of backsweep which can be done without special tools, just dont use thin welded seam tubing.

95'......Its Kinda Like Bobber Rode A Rat Bike To A Cafe Race.....Thing
  IP Logged
groupus

Maintenance is as
much art as it is
science.

PA
Reply #11 - 07/27/11 at 22:29:21

skeebo, how did you get that 3 degrees of bend on your bars? mine might be a downward bend more than back, based on what feels comfortable.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 14:32:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › straight bars, do ya like 'em?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.