Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Re: Decent Price on Rear Tire (Read 178 times)
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Re: Decent Price on Rear Tire
07/25/11 at 18:34:06

I received my new Dunlop today.
So I took the wheel off, removed the tire,......scary how thin that old IRC tire is in the very center,...I mean, a little sharp rock at higher speed could have ended a ride real quick,......and that is after I had thought I could have run it another 1K.
Anyway, I was impressed w/ the new Dunlop,....good or bad, it must be at least twice the weight of the IRC.
The tube seems like new, but the spoke strip is a little loose....but otherwise good. So I spotted it down overnite w/ some adheasive silicone,......so I can depend it staying put when installing the tube and tire.
BTW, that tire was one of the easiest to remove I've done in a long while. I can only hope the new will install as easily.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #1 - 07/25/11 at 20:21:34

"I can only hope the new will install as easily."

Ohhhhhh you should'nt of said THAT Routy.
Sure as god made lil green apples that d@mn MURPHY will raise his ugly head now. Cheesy
'Anything that CAN go wrong WILL go wrong.' Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #2 - 07/26/11 at 02:56:04

Routy wrote on 07/25/11 at 18:34:06:
I received my new Dunlop today.
So I took the wheel off, removed the tire,......scary how thin that old IRC tire is in the very center,...I mean, a little sharp rock at higher speed could have ended a ride real quick,......and that is after I had thought I could have run it another 1K.
Anyway, I was impressed w/ the new Dunlop,....good or bad, it must be at least twice the weight of the IRC.
The tube seems like new, but the spoke strip is a little loose....but otherwise good. So I spotted it down overnite w/ some adheasive silicone,......so I can depend it staying put when installing the tube and tire.
BTW, that tire was one of the easiest to remove I've done in a long while. I can only hope the new will install as easily.

Rim strips are real cheap.  They do tend to get old, less flexible, and stretchy.  

Expendable.  

I usually order tires from Dennis Kirk or Chaparral, etc., so I spend $3 more and add the rim strip to the order.  Often Dennis Kirk has free shipping.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Birdmove
YaBB Newbies
2004 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Keaau, Hawaii usa
Reply #3 - 07/26/11 at 04:13:25

By the way, Harley-Davidson, starting on the 2012 models, will have some with tubless spoke wheels. They use an extra big rim strip to seal these spoke wheels. I've heard of these before, but I think HD may be the first motorcycle company to use them on their production bikes??

jon

jon neet
JJNeet1   IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #4 - 07/26/11 at 04:40:02

I'd thought of smearing the spokes w/ a layer of marine silicone, and go tubeless.
I see no reason why it wouldn't hold air.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #5 - 07/26/11 at 05:23:38

Don't get too thick on the over-spokes coating or you will interfere with the bead movement "down into the valley" that takes place while you are mounting the tire.

Don't ask me how I know .... the scars aren't quite white and shriveled yet.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
running-it-stock
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 07/26/11 at 20:38:43

.and that is after I had thought I could have run it another 1K.

Out of curiosity how long did the IRC stock tires last? Just changed mine yesterday at 8770 miles. Squeezed every last mile out of them.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #7 - 07/27/11 at 04:29:10

The odometer shows 6100,.....I got the bike used at 3000+ miles, so I know the last 1/2 its life were very conservative riding. In my younger years, I can't see that tire going 4k miles. But reports here show 6k is average on the original rear tire. Had I known how thin the IRCs are in the center tread area when the tread is near gone, I would have changed it long ago.
This new Dunlop is a much heavier tire, and DIY mounting could be a real challenge for anyone less than experienced !

Rich
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #8 - 07/27/11 at 04:45:33

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 07/26/11 at 05:23:38:
Don't get too thick on the over-spokes coating or you will interfere with the bead movement "down into the valley" that takes place while you are mounting the tire.

Don't ask me how I know .... the scars aren't quite white and shriveled yet.

This is very true. When mounting a tire, the bead need every little bit of space down in the spoke valley that it can possibly find ! A heavy bead of silicone just could make the difference of go....or no go !

And just for information, I would never suggest anyone to mount their own tire.
If I had not been a very experienced tire changer,......having worked in a tire shop when I was just 16,.... and before tire changing machines existed, I would never attempt such a thing.

Rich
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #9 - 07/27/11 at 09:27:11

running-it-stock wrote on 07/26/11 at 20:38:43:

Out of curiosity how long did the IRC stock tires last? Just changed mine yesterday at 8770 miles. Squeezed every last mile out of them.

Mine dried out way before they wore out.. About 3000 mi.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
sjaskow - FSO

Frozen Tundra of MN
Reply #10 - 07/27/11 at 09:33:41

My IRCs lasted 14,630 miles but I think I'm an anomaly that way.  Cool

2012 Victory Vision - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/vision
2006 Suzuki S40 - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/S40
WWW   IP Logged
CalisOsin

Rather die, than
live down on my
knees.

Orange County, Ca
Reply #11 - 07/27/11 at 09:49:11

mine lasted about 10,000 before it wore right through while i was riding  Shocked

'97, k&n airfilter, bcb pipe, custom leather seat, monoshock, custom bars
  IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #12 - 07/27/11 at 10:03:28

Both mine are dry cracked at less than 5k, PO didnt put many miles on but it's a 96. Just got an Avon for the front, will try to squeeze a few more miles out of the rear. This bike just eats tires for breakfast lunch and dinner.

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #13 - 08/17/11 at 19:29:05

......the spoke strip is a little loose....but otherwise good. So I spotted it down overnite w/ some adheasive silicone,.....

I used to race motocross.....so I've got some old motocrosser tricks.

One of 'em is to trash the OEM rim strip on the first tire change and, instead, wrap the area in about three orbits of duct tape.  I still use this trick on my street bikes, the ones rocking tube-type tires, anyway.

Never had a problem...and the duct tape seems to last about forever in this application!

IHTH someone!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #14 - 08/17/11 at 19:30:46

FWIW....

The original rear IRC on my bike (see signature) lasted 8700 miles before I hit the wear bars.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/07/24 at 09:24:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Re: Decent Price on Rear Tire

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.