Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Classic rookie mistake. (Read 399 times)
AZSGT

2006 Bobber

Mesa, AZ
Classic rookie mistake.
07/25/11 at 16:11:14

So today I made a total classic rookie mistake. I was so embarrassed I had to share it.

So I knew I was going to be out of town camping all week so I parked my pig in my friends garage. I obviously turned my petcock to OFF, as I would be gone.

Got back today, and of course, was excited to fire up and ride home. I got to the corner and the bike started sputtering. It would barely stay lit, and not at all if I touched the throttle. I tried and tried but couldn't get it going.

I checked the tank and was low but not out of gas so I thought maybe that is it. So I began pushing my bike down a major 4 lane road. Lo and behold 3 bikers roll by, see me, and stop to help. I explained to them what was going on and one says" Sound like you have no fuel going in, is your petcock on?". As soon as he said I remembered, and wanted to crawl into a hole.

I turned it to ON and it started like the old champ it is. They rode off saying, hey everyone does it, but I know they are gonna have a good chuckle as my expense later.

Lesson learned!!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Classic rookie mistake.
Reply #1 - 07/25/11 at 16:32:03

Grin Grin Grin... What a rookie!...  Grin Grin Grin...

Once you're an old pro like us,...
...you won't tell anybody when you do it... Huh...

Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #2 - 07/25/11 at 17:45:01

What a maroon! Worked on mine today and took it up the driveway. Quit on me, but I'm used to it. Just put my Raptor on a few weeks back. I may tape a "Gas on? Gas off?" sticker to the tank.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #3 - 07/25/11 at 20:03:24

AZSGT wrote on 07/25/11 at 16:11:14:
So today I made a total classic rookie mistake. I was so embarrassed I had to share it.

So I knew I was going to be out of town camping all week so I parked my pig in my friends garage. I obviously turned my petcock to OFF, as I would be gone.

Got back today, and of course, was excited to fire up and ride home. I got to the corner and the bike started sputtering. It would barely stay lit, and not at all if I touched the throttle. I tried and tried but couldn't get it going.

I checked the tank and was low but not out of gas so I thought maybe that is it. So I began pushing my bike down a major 4 lane road. Lo and behold 3 bikers roll by, see me, and stop to help. I explained to them what was going on and one says" Sound like you have no fuel going in, is your petcock on?". As soon as he said I remembered, and wanted to crawl into a hole.

I turned it to ON and it started like the old champ it is. They rode off saying, hey everyone does it, but I know they are gonna have a good chuckle as my expense later.

Lesson learned!!

I've never done AYTHING like that,.....

Wink    Grin    Cheesy    Roll Eyes    Tongue    Undecided    Grin    Smiley

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #4 - 07/25/11 at 20:12:14

Got a routine when i get on or off the bike.
Admittedly ive been a bit fuzzy headed since the surgeries. But i pulled the old kickstand down and put it in gear yesterday trick. Relised right away what id done but doing it in public just kinda rubs your short hairs the wrong way anyway...lol

IP Logged
Cate
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Lincoln, CA
Reply #5 - 07/25/11 at 20:13:38

I am a new owner of a 2001 Savage and just found this site yesterday. I have had my motorcycle license for 3 days and I can't tell you how nice it is to read threads like this. Thank you for sharing your mistakes, friends.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #6 - 07/25/11 at 20:15:00

Cate wrote on 07/25/11 at 20:13:38:
I am a new owner of a 2001 Savage and just found this site yesterday. I have had my motorcycle license for 3 days and I can't tell you how nice it is to read threads like this. Thank you for sharing your mistakes, friends.

Wow.  First post and gender in question. Wink

IP Logged
Howitzer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Boston, MA
Reply #7 - 07/25/11 at 20:53:13

Serowbot wrote on 07/25/11 at 16:32:03:
Grin Grin Grin... What a rookie!...  Grin Grin Grin...

Once you're an old pro like us,...
...you won't tell anybody when you do it... Huh...

Wink...

Hear hear!

Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin

IP Logged
prsavage

atgatt

Nanaimo BC
Reply #8 - 07/25/11 at 21:20:55

June 28 this year we had just lefton a 3000km road trip with my Yamaha V-Star 1100 and my wife's Suzuki C50 both seriously packed up and loaded down.  We got about 1 km from the house and kitty corner from a gas station when I ran out of gas.  A major intersection with lots of cars to see me looking like a doofus pushing my bike in.  Even that short push of about 250 feet to the pumps was a sweat inducing workout.

Grin

IP Logged
Wake51

Murphy's Law

St. Louis
Reply #9 - 07/26/11 at 01:59:54

Recently took a trip just a little over 100 miles from home to my University. My bike used to pull in, in front of my town house with just a few drops in my tank. ...that was before I re jetted and did not account for increased fuel consumption. When I got off the highway she sputtered and carried on until I rolled to a stop on the side of the road. I look up and over my head shining like a brilliant beacon was a Phillips 66 sign. Whew.

IP Logged
Angie

Anybody can be
normal, where's the
fun in that?

Iowa
Reply #10 - 07/26/11 at 06:36:06

The other day I saw a couple on a huge ol Harley (no I dont know exactly what kind, other than it was a Harley and it was black, lol) run out of gas right in front of where I work.  Good thing there is a gas station next door.   Grin

Now for my latest brain fart.  Just yesterday, I was letting my bike warm up a bit before I headed home.  Had my gear on, so i hopped on, put up the kick stand and popped her into gear.  Which would have worked out alot better if I would have had the clutch pulled in.  It jumped and died, about giving me a heart attack in the process.  Oh yeah, Im a cool biker alright.  Roll Eyes

Lying is emotional immaturity in action
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #11 - 07/26/11 at 06:47:52

Wake51 wrote on 07/26/11 at 01:59:54:
Recently took a trip just a little over 100 miles from home to my University. My bike used to pull in, in front of my town house with just a few drops in my tank. ...that was before I re jetted and did not account for increased fuel consumption. When I got off the highway she sputtered and carried on until I rolled to a stop on the side of the road. I look up and over my head shining like a brilliant beacon was a Phillips 66 sign. Whew.

I have been lucky like that. Ran out of gas once and was able to coast right up to the pump. Grin

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #12 - 07/26/11 at 07:16:44

I give up on cool.  Time to just man up and admit I need one of these stickers:

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #13 - 07/26/11 at 10:07:36

Gyrobob wrote on 07/25/11 at 20:15:00:

Hey Bob, you really DON'T want all the women here to gang up on you...   Angry   Wink

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #14 - 07/26/11 at 11:38:23

babyhog wrote on 07/26/11 at 10:07:36:
Gyrobob wrote on 07/25/11 at 20:15:00:

Hey Bob, you really DON'T want all the women here to gang up on you...   Angry   Wink

Are you sure about that?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 14:35:23

General CategoryThe Cafe › Classic rookie mistake.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.