Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Muffler is now a flame thrower!!! (Read 498 times)
Senga
YaBB Newbies

I used to be a
Rebel, but now I'm a
SAVAGE!

Oxford, MI
Re: Muffler is now a flame thrower!!!
Reply #15 - 09/05/11 at 18:51:25

Here is the video of the bike sitting with us hitting the throttle.  While riding the hubby says that when I'm downshifting it is a non-stop onslaught of flames....
http://youtu.be/8vZYkEj1hgc

IP Logged
groupus

Maintenance is as
much art as it is
science.

PA
Reply #16 - 09/05/11 at 22:36:29

Routy wrote on 09/05/11 at 06:23:29:
Ok, at first you only noticed a little less low end torque, not bad, but was it for real ? From vast experience, I know that if you change the exhaust sound, it can change the mindset about performance.

-------------------------------------------------

BTW, if you were capable of changing that muffler w/o much problem, you were more than capable of changing a main jet, and maybe even doing a midrange spacer mod if needed. The tech crew here could have led you thru it.

i have to agree with both of these statements in some respect. i know when i ride my dad's bone stoke savage (refuses to even touch the carb tuning screw) vs. mine with (among many other things) a louder muffler, mine feels more sluggish. now, i know that my jetting may not be perfect, but i can say with some certainty that i can put down just as much or more power (read: burnouts, wheelies, quicker off the line, and general hooning around) than stock. yeah, thats not too scientific, but wtf. the feeling of less power is only because mine is louder and "complains" more under load. its a feeling, and even less scientific.
Part 2: if you had the wherewithal to do research on this site about muffler modding, proper muffler alternatives, and then had the balls to go through with it, then you are definitely capable of jetting your own carb, especially when the alternative is $250 and having it done by someone who knows less about your bike than you do. not trying to criticize, but hindsight is always 20/20. just mention a muffler mod on the forum and you get 45 educated suggestions from the great people here.

Ok, so cousin Jethro down at Ed & Jed's Moto-sickle Shop probably threw some smaller jets in it thinking that the flame was from too much fuel. if thats the case, you are way too lean, which causes it to run hotter and can do some nasty sh!t to your valves and other parts that, you know, make it run. lean might make the pipe glow like that. an extremely lean main could also starve the bike of fuel at high speed and cause it to shut off.

1st things 1st, find out what jets are in it and report back to the experts
check the plug
is the pipe bluing?
if the petcock is the problem (probably not, but...), test it or try running it on prime on the highway to allow enough fuel.
limit your riding for now

i personally think you should sell the "glowing pipe and flameshooter" mod  Grin

best of luck,
<- this guy

Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~Hunter Thompson

'03 Savage bobber. Rebuilt too many times.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #17 - 09/05/11 at 23:08:36

Senga wrote on 09/05/11 at 18:51:25:
Here is the video of the bike sitting with us hitting the throttle.  While riding the hubby says that when I'm downshifting it is a non-stop onslaught of flames....
http://youtu.be/8vZYkEj1hgc

Cool, you'll want to save that video.

Now let get down to brass tacks.

What did jeffro do?
drop the bowl, get a mirror and eye ball the jets, get the numbers.
we need the numbers.

You got a dyna muff, no problem.  been done.

Now you got the header and muffler connections leak free?
Was jeffro able to do that at least?

Next on the list is the TEV valve.
There's a thread in the link below.
open it up and clean it, just put it back together for now.

OK? that's your homework for now.

dang... flames   Cool

WWW   IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #18 - 09/06/11 at 03:02:03

To the Dana mufflers experts here,......
is that normal to have anything inside a muffler glowing like that ? It looks like a catalitic  converter inside that muffler ! Beside that, if anything ever sounded lie a go cart, that does !
Me ? (OP need not reply) I would dump that POS muffler in a heartbeat, and start over.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #19 - 09/06/11 at 06:44:21

I didn't read every post in this thread, but when I installed my HD Dyna I had blue flames shooting out of the back and major popping (even after adjusting the idle screw) until I got a #150 main jet (suggested by Serowbot and others). This is my first bike, and I was getting the bald back tire replaced at the time so I had the Suzuki shop throw in the #150 main jet and all is perfect now.

And I agree with Routy.. the Dyna is not much of a upgrade in sound.. maybe a tad bit more performance, but my stock needed replacement because the previous owner had run over a curb or dumped it or something..

"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vZYkEj1hgc&feature=youtu.be" - That's how mine was, have you ever felt like a bad ass before? Welcome to the club!  Cheesy

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Muffler is now a flame thrower!!!I think that
Reply #20 - 09/06/11 at 09:08:25

I think that muffler has the center baffle punched out...
... in effect, making it a straight pipe... it may also be a Cat model (glowing at the front end))...

Insert a stick into the muffler from the back end, and see if it goes more than halfway down the muffler,... if it does, the baffle is knocked out... if it stops nearer to the front, it's likely a Cat model,... if it goes all the way through, it's a non-Cat with no baffle...
Get a new one... sorry...
(post a pic showing how far down the stick goes, if you can)...

One other thing,.. pull the vacuum line going to the right side of the carb, and see if there's any gas in that line... if there is, your petcock is bad, and the excess fuel is being burned in the exhaust pipe (flames)...
I suspect a torn petcock diaphragm because the flames seem to coincide with decel (high vacuum)... a small tear will only leak at higher vacuum...
Read here... it's an easy two minute test...
How to check your petcock,...

Wink...

Edited:
Very sorry you're having this problem.  I feel partly responsible because you were following my instructions...
I've added a warning to the tech post, to check or ask if the baffle is in tact...

Serow

« Last Edit: 09/06/11 at 10:22:44 by Serowbot »  

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #21 - 09/06/11 at 09:49:14

Senga, I'd have to agree that the jets are probably too small. I put close to a straight pipe on mine and before the rejet (to larger jets) it was throwing flames too.
After the rejet it doesn't flame anymore. I'm at elevation so I didn't go up too far on the jets...see signature.
Hope you can get it straightened out cuz putting the stock muffler back would be an extra 15 pounds of quiet... Smiley

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 20:20:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Muffler is now a flame thrower!!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.