Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Schoolie's Bobber project (Read 360 times)
ShaneSchoolie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Schoolie's Bobber project
07/24/11 at 19:40:08

Last weekend got myself a white 07 S40 with 4500 miles that had gone down on both sides so has matching dents on both sides of the tank and has a salvage title for 1100 bucks. Took the front fender off right away along with the back belt guard. Ran great except for the afterfires. Road it this week to work and back everyday. Here is how it looked at the end of the work week for me this last week.

IP Logged
ShaneSchoolie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Schoolie's Bobber project
Reply #1 - 07/24/11 at 19:49:26

I had Friday as a paid day off so decided to start the project. Went to the Ryca shop first thing friday morning to check out the rycas first had and to pick up a k&n filter and a rejet kit. Those bikes are so sweet but don't have the money for that yet so bobber it will be.

One of my buddys at work is an Harley rider, biker trash kinda guy but with heart of gold (everybody calls him Fleabag). One of his kids in high school is super smart when it comes to working on cars, trucks and motorcycles. Went out to his garage and started chopping, grinding and welding, all things new to me with my limited experience. Here is what we came up with in two ten hour days of work.

IP Logged
ShaneSchoolie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 07/24/11 at 19:52:11

There's still more to be done. Next weekend is painting the tank, hiding wires and making a few more brackets. I'm amazing at what we were able to come up with in such a sort time and so far I've only put about 1300 bucks into the thing, granted my buddies hooked up all sorts of sweet nuts for free.

Thoughts and suggestions? My buddy can do sweet pinstriped flames and wants to lay some down on the tank then paint it black leaving the white flame outlines but I am thinking same black tank but a strip of white lace with a pinstriped on the outside of either side of the lace...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 07/24/11 at 20:03:21

You stole that thing,, bummer about the title, but doin bodywork, i Think it was 50% of market value totaled a car.. I dont see damage enough to call that bike a total,, do you know why it was totaled out?

YOu must be a young fella,, cuz that seat just isnt somethin a guy my age would buy,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ShaneSchoolie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 07/24/11 at 22:06:31

Don't know why it was totaled, the tank has two golfball sized dents on both sides and the muffler, front fender, blinkers, and pegs we scratched up. Also the cheap plastic headlight was just about broken off, the previous owner has taped back together and looked like my headlight was flashing on and off at night. Replaced that with stock HD crossbone headlight  The seat will be lined with some thin foam and covered in some sort of leather.

Here's another picture of the stockish bike next to my friends crossbones at work the other day at disney ranch.

IP Logged
ShaneSchoolie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 07/24/11 at 22:12:58

A few pictures from this weekend

lots of this

This is how naked it got over the weekend

Exhaust wrap smokin

IP Logged
Stimpy - FSO
Serious Thumper

SuzukisSavage Int'l
Division

Germany - formerly SD, SoCal
Reply #6 - 07/25/11 at 03:34:21

LOVE it!!!

Cool

Seat comfy?

Has anyone ever moved the electricall and battery elsewhere?

where?  under swingarm,  maybe inside a leather bag?  
what about mini batteries?

Recently sold 97'savage (change of residence) - looking to buy another - just bought a temp, a great SR125 called 'methadone'
WWW Stimpy - FSO   IP Logged
ShaneSchoolie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 07/25/11 at 03:53:21

Thanks! As for the seat, it is pretty comfortable. It was a little rough when I had it just attached to the frame but once we put that single spring on it it actually became pretty comfy.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 07/25/11 at 04:06:25

Looks like you guys have enough tools,, How do those flags handle the sparks? I put a hole in an oil catch pan with grinder sparks once,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ShaneSchoolie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 07/25/11 at 09:11:39

Haven't caught anything on fire or put any holes in anything just yet. This dude has all the tools I feel like I could ever need. Next weekend I'm hoping to blast some of the engine casing (clutch cover ext) and then paint it black along with the tank.

Also what about hiding the wires? What do people normally do? And is there a smaller battery I can use in this? It take up so much space!

IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 07/25/11 at 14:01:38

Stimpy - FSO wrote on 07/25/11 at 03:34:21:
LOVE it!!!

Cool

Seat comfy?

Has anyone ever moved the electricall and battery elsewhere?

where?  under swingarm,  maybe inside a leather bag?  
what about mini batteries?

I did. Everything electrical but the Reg/rec is under the tank.

IP Logged
Smokestack

The Devil made me do
it!

The Hammer, Canada
Reply #11 - 07/26/11 at 18:14:50

ShaneSchoolie wrote on 07/25/11 at 09:11:39:
Also what about hiding the wires? What do people normally do? And is there a smaller battery I can use in this? It take up so much space!

I did this:

Tha battery is an Odyssey, PC310.

Yup, I done some stuff......
  IP Logged
ShaneSchoolie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 08/14/11 at 21:28:42

Smokestack I love what you have done, I might have to do something similar.

Been in the garage as much as I could in the past few weekends. Not as much as I would like but I work long hours.

The savage at work next to my buddy's bike who's garage is where I do my motorcycle work at.

Goodbye to the matching dents on both sides on my tank!

« Last Edit: 08/14/11 at 23:00:44 by ShaneSchoolie »  
  IP Logged
ShaneSchoolie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 08/14/11 at 21:37:06

One of my fork seals was bad so I took the forks off and replaced both seals and put new fluid in them. While the forks were off I painted the lower tubes. Then decided why not do something funky so I gold flaked flames, the art department dudes at work gave me some gold flake and the glue for free that I had been waiting to play with.

Here are some pictures while on a ride up the PCH today

IP Logged
ShaneSchoolie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 08/14/11 at 21:47:42

Also last weekend I sold my 1973 Honda CB500F. It was a very sad day but I am going to be doing a 2 week 5000 mile trip next month and can't do it on the honda or the thumper so the honda had to go. The next day went out and drove a bunch of used bikes and ended up getting something I never thought I'd own.

It's a 1997 Sportster with a 1200 HD kit installed by the dealer with 5400 miles. I got for only $100 more then I sold the Honda for. I have always said I would never own a harley... I donno what happened. I can't wait to chop the crap out of it though! But I have to leave it pretty much as is until after the trip so I will keep working on the thumper for the next month.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 10:24:47

General CategoryThe Cafe › Schoolie's Bobber project

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.