Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
3 Re: replacing rear shoes split (Read 22 times)
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
3 Re: replacing rear shoes split
07/24/11 at 11:06:40

I doubt you need rear shoes.
I got a '96 in '05 with might of been originals as the PO was good to note when things where replaced.  I also got an '88, but can't say the same as I've put the brake hub from an '02 on it.  I wouldn't call myself a heavy braker, but I've learned the best way to keep it from squealin' is too apply light braking at every opportunity so they get constant use.  I still got the set of replacement brakes I got for the '96 in about '07.

« Last Edit: 08/17/11 at 19:17:17 by verslagen1 »  
WWW   IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Re: replacing rear shoes
Reply #1 - 07/24/11 at 14:27:05

I thought I needed rear brakes recently too. I installed the new shoes--brake pedal was still going way down, fully adjusted.  Turns out, the cam inside the assembly is getting worn, so I had to reset the lever on the hub--moved it about 2-3 notches and then I had lots of adjustment left.

Also--of course, before attempting to remove rear wheel, you're gonna want to get the bike off the ground 1st. I use a pile of 2 x 12's nailed together. Takes 2 people to lift front of bike--kick board pile under frame.

The whole rear brake job takes about 1 1/2 hours, if ya know what you're doing. Be careful you don't get ripped off if you have the dealer or some shop do the work. Parts are about $35, labor @$60 per hour is about $80-$100.

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #2 - 07/24/11 at 19:14:42

When I bought a rear tire last year, I told my shop to throw on a set of brake shoes. No charge for labor other than the tire change. Now I know what I have and I don't have to fool with it. Smiley  

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 07/24/11 at 19:22:21

Wearing the rear brakes enough to need new ones takes a lot of miles.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #4 - 07/25/11 at 05:19:22

MotoBuddha's directions should be pretty accurate.  And Drums1's estimate of time (1 1/2 hours) is about right.  I'm one of those who have put enough miles on to have changed the rear brake shoes at least twice, maybe 3 times.

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
skipkb
YaBB Newbies

2000 Savage LS650

louisville, ky
Reply #5 - 07/25/11 at 10:52:51

wow, amazed at all the help as always. thanks everyone.

Some more info: I've got 11,000 miles on it. Bought it with 9000 about 3 months ago but it's my daily ride and I've gone on a few trips with it.

I trust the mechanic who said I needed the shoes, and I've recently noticed light squeaking when applying rear brakes, however the mechanic IS at a dealer, and I checked on the brakes according to the manual which says :

"while fully applying the brake, check to see that the extension line of the index mark is within the range" on the brake lining wear limit indicator on the back tire.

The index mark when applying the brake seems to be within the wear indicator line if I'm doing this correclty. That, paired with the general consensus that it'd take a LOT of riding to wear down the back brake, paired with the recommendation it's time for new shoes came from a dealer = I'll probably hold off unless the squeaking increases.

let me know if you guys have any other advice now that you know the full story...

and, again, thank you so much. I'm going to put the front pads on this week... even if I don't need em after all I figure it'll be a learning experience!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 07/25/11 at 11:36:14

serenity3743 wrote on 07/25/11 at 05:19:22:
MotoBuddha's directions should be pretty accurate.  And Drums1's estimate of time (1 1/2 hours) is about right.  I'm one of those who have put enough miles on to have changed the rear brake shoes at least twice, maybe 3 times.

Wow, I know you have a few more miles than me, but not that many to change out the rears 2 or 3 times and I haven't changed it once.

I got 2 bikes with greater than 40k miles, neither one have I changed the rear brakes.

But serenity is a mountain man, and I a freeway man.  I brake once before I get on and once when I get off the freeway.   Cool

WWW   IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #7 - 07/25/11 at 12:31:42

Yeah, Skip, if I were you I'd wait till I need another rear tire, then combine projects.  If you're letting the shop do the tire work, get them to slap on some brake shoes while they're at it.  Like Boofer suggested.

Versy, I tend to err on the side of caution, so I may have cheated myself out of some brake-shoe life.  My total miles on the frame and wheels of this bike equal 82K. Cool

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #8 - 07/25/11 at 12:56:30

skipkb wrote on 07/24/11 at 10:40:21:
hey guys...

I spent the last half hour or so looking around the site trying to find an answer to this to no avail. I KNOW it's covered somewhere so my apologies but I'm going to be late for work if I keep looking!

Anyways, had new tires installed a couple weeks ago, and was told it's time for new front pads and rear shoes.

I just ordered the front pads online, and will put them on this week using the step by step post here on suzukisavage.com

However, having trouble finding info about the rear shoes beyond:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1121446...

I'm a newbie... is this procedure going to be too much? do you have to take the rear tire off? My savage is my daily ride, no car, so I'd have to get it done in one sitting or I'll be taking the bus to work. Should I leave this one up to the pros? Tips?

Thanks!!!!

Vers and Justin are right,... it takes a long long time to use up rear shoes,..... unless you have some strange braking habits.  In the decades I have owned and operated motorcycles, I have never changed rear pads or shoes.

I wouldn't replace them on someone else's recommendation, especially someone who will make a buck selling and/or installing the shoes.  Don't replace them unless you actually look at them and can verify they are worn out.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #9 - 07/25/11 at 13:08:34

I live on a hill and they just chip-sealed the road last week so it's been like riding on a gravel road every day. I have never used my back brakes as much as I have in the last week. Feels like riding on marbles  Sad

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 04:17:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 3 Re: replacing rear shoes split

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.