Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
GPS, GPS Mount and Connections (Read 93 times)
cafdad
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Northern IL
GPS, GPS Mount and Connections
07/23/11 at 18:25:38

I am currently using a Garmin eTrex on a bicycle mount (powered by batteries).  But I find myself wishing I had a GPS similar to the one built in to my car.

What GPS unit are using, how do you have it mounted, and how do you power it?  Also, are you able to use (hear) turn by turn directions?

Thanks.

Chris

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Re: GPS, GPS Mount and Connections
Reply #1 - 07/23/11 at 18:55:21

I'm pretty happy with my DeLorme PN-40 mounted to the handlebars with a ram-mount.  I rigged up a 12V weatherproof cig. lighter plug to plug the GPS into, just as if it was in a car. I don't mess with any voice features of the GPS, it's screen and buttons only.

The Garmin 60csx is also very popular, and probably can be had at a discount because Garmin is ending production of that particular model.. probably about to release one much better and more expensive in that size category. Both the PN-40 and 60csx have pretty small screens.

I think the Garmin Zumo is more like the typical car GPS, big screen and all.. but rugged enough for motorcycle use.. of course, you pay for it.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #2 - 07/23/11 at 19:26:02

I also started w/ an etrex,....I hated it,......got tired of always straining my eyballs trying to see it.
I have a car type 330 on my bike,.....after updating to one that calls out street names for the car. Trouble is, we liked the old 330 better than that talking one we use now,......can't understand what it says 1/2 the time.
I mounted it using some parts from the universal I bought for the nuvi,.... (the universal mount won't fit the 330), and some parts of the car mount.
I plug it in to the same plug that I installed for the float charger.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
ero4444

weekender

Reply #3 - 07/23/11 at 20:22:32

I use an old Mio C310x on a bike mount, for short trips with no power.  I can't hear it but the display is enough.

An easy change would be to use a bluetooth-enabled GPS with a headset or even one wired earphone

c2001, 3800miles, 3rd owner, adjusted idle, raised seat, Tkat brace, Raptor petcock, cleaned carb, replaced some jets, Dyna muffler, Fiamm horns, Shinkos, future Ed L. forward controls, fork boots.
  IP Logged
papi_ocho

super stock thumper

Oceanside, CA
Reply #4 - 07/23/11 at 20:48:10

Currently running garmin 7?? With bluetooth connect it to my chatter box xbi2 in my full face helmet. all my bikes have battery tender pig tails that connects to a lighter plug AND then connect the garmin run the wire anyplace I like. And then suction cup mount it to the gas tank.

Max speed recorded was 129.6 not on the 650 Wink it will hold with a suction cup mount

06 S-40 ss carbbowl screws, ss valve cover bolts, turn signals lightup w/ brake light(removed for trouble shooting)
06 GS500F gstwins.com
06 Hayabusa.org
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #5 - 07/25/11 at 05:35:45

I use the GPS on my Droid phone (Google maps) with headphones and just use the voice for directions (the phone is in my pocket) since it will tell me where to go within a quarter mile... the only time I miss roads is when my visor is covered with gnats.  Tongue

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 08:31:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › GPS, GPS Mount and Connections

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.