Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Re: How To: Adjust your Valves (Read 6 times)
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Re: How To: Adjust your Valves
07/22/11 at 15:47:14

I have adjusted the valves on a 4 cyl Volvo and a 6 cyl Land cruiser. Both times I did it with the engine running. Do I assume you can't do that on the savage?

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #1 - 07/22/11 at 17:05:38

You adjust car engines hot when idling because they use hydraulic tappets that are pumped up with oil pressure to get them to work correctly.   Most of these sorts of systems are "adjusted" at the center of the rocker pivot and all you are doing is removing all system clatter.

The Savage has pure mechanical tappets, adjusted stone cold at top dead center using an adjuster screw at the outermost moving tip of the rocker arm -- you'd have to be the Flash operating at full hyper speed to do it while it was running.

Wink

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #2 - 07/23/11 at 05:06:41

Neither the Volvo or the 'Cruiser had hydraulic tappets. The method I used was to put the feller in and tighten the adjusting screw until the gauge would not slide. I imagine there would not be enough room to do this on the bike.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 10:17:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Re: How To: Adjust your Valves

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.