Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Smooth sound from a Jardine-free and easy mod (Read 552 times)
onelunger
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Smooth sound from a Jardine-free and easy mod
07/22/11 at 10:29:05

My S40 came with a Jardine already installed but I never really cared much for the sound from it. It was a bit too loud and it sounded like a lawn mower with the muffler rotting off of it. Too "poppy" with not enough "tone".  I also tried a Harley muffler I picked up for $5 at a local shop but it too was very loud and had too much blatting popping noise to the exhaust note (although it was better than the Jardine). The best was the de-baffled stock pipe (it was pretty smooth sounding and not too loud) but the VERY noticeable loss of power compared to the other pipes was not OK with me.
I figured out a cheap easy way to fix my conundrum though. I essenntially converted the Jardine from a straight through "glasspack" style muffler to a chambered muffler. It's pretty simple and doesn't take much skill, money or time. Just the way I like it.  Wink

Remove the core/baffle from the exhaust and remove the packing material from around the core (if it hasn't all burned up and blown out yet). You will probably have to remove the muffler from the bike so that you can pop the core out from the inlet side.

Plug the core (the tube with all of the holes in it) at the inlet side (side closest to the engine when installed). The inlet side tapers down from the large dia that fits into the pipe to the core dia. The outlet side is more like a plate welded to the end of the core (no taper). I used a thick washer I had laying around (needs to be about 1.5" outside diameter). To plug the hole in the middle of the washer I took the lazy way out and simply put in a short bolt with a nut. The ambitious fabricator will weld this hole shut but like I said, I took the lazy way.  Grin Weld the washer to the core so that it can't come loose. It doesn't have to be air tight but you don't want it coming loose and rattling around in the muffler either. This is the most difficult part as it does require a little welding.

Next, drill holes in the tapered area where it reduces from the large OD (the part that fits snug into the pipe itself) to the core diameter.Be sure to drill at the inlet side (the side you plugged). The size and number of holes will determine how well the muffler will flow and how loud it will be. I figured it up and (4) 1/2" holes have the same area as a 1" thru hole and (9) 1/2" holes are the same as a 1.5" thru hole (roughly the same size as the stock core dia. I drilled (8) 1/2" holes in mine and it's right about where I want it; a touch loud but still quieter than the Jardine was before. I started out with (4) 1/2" and (4) 3/8" but I wanted a touch more flow. Start out small as it's real easy to enlarge the holes but much harder to shrink them.

After that just reassemble. Be sure to rivit or bolt the core back in or it will work it's way back out.
I was VERY happy with the results. It now has a MUCH smoother sound with more "tone" and FAR less of that Popping single cylinder sound. It sounds more like 1/2 a Harley than a mower with no muffler. There doesn't seem to be any loss of power either.  Grin As a bonus, there is no packing to burn up so it shouldn't ever need any more attention.
Sorry I don't have any pics but I did model up a quick CAD model to better illistrate what I'm talking about (yes, I'm a nerd I admit it).
Hope this helps

IP Logged
onelunger
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Smooth sound from a Jardine-free and easy mod
Reply #1 - 07/22/11 at 10:36:01

crap,pics didn't show.
Let's try again

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #2 - 07/22/11 at 11:40:23

" I CANT BREATH I CANT BREATH!"
just kiddin Grin

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
onelunger
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 07/22/11 at 11:58:53

thumperclone wrote on 07/22/11 at 11:40:23:
" I CANT BREATH I CANT BREATH!"
just kiddin Grin

Doesn't seem to choke it at all. I did a couple of tests after installing it and was quite pleased with the results.
The first I did was the "wheelie test". From a 10mph roll I pull in the clutch rev it up and dump it. With the de-baffled stock pipe it would barely pop the front tire off of the ground (yes, I tuned it for that pipe). With the Jardine, Harley muffler and my modded Jardine (and the proper tune) it will pull the wheel 3' off of the ground and carry it all the way through 1st.  Grin The bike will actually go past the "balance point" and start trying to backflip if you're not careful. Makes me LOL in my helmet ever time. haa haa

Next I did a top speed run. The stock pipe just will not go past 85 on the speedo no matter what the conditions. My rear tire is slightly oversized (dia) so that's probably close to 90. With the modded Jardine it was running 92mph and still climbing (slightly). It might have hit 94-95 if I hadn't run out of safe road. The bike most certainly makes more power with this muffler than the debaffled stocker. It seems to be about equal with the regular Jardine or the Sportster Muff.

To top it all off, the sounds is SOOOO much better than either of the 2 "aftermarket" mufflers.

The (8) 1/2" holes I drilled in there have an area of 1.57in^2 ; a straight thru 1.5" pipe has an area of 1.76in^2.  You're only talking .2in^2 worth of difference between those holes and a 1.5" straight pipe. The 100's of louvers punched into the center core are going to have a combined area of even more than that.
Take a good look inside a stock muffler some time if you want to see what "I can't breath, I can't breath" looks like.  Grin

IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #4 - 07/27/11 at 12:27:03

Awesome ingenuity! Way to take an aftermarket part and make it one off. Maybe post a sound bite when you get a chance??? Huh

IP Logged
Stay Dry
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 08/17/11 at 16:53:19

Thanks for the post. I did this and it sounds great. It has more rumble to it vs a high pitched sound. I went with 8 3/8 holes. I used siliconed on the washer.

IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #6 - 08/17/11 at 17:18:52

Siliconed the washer, inside the muffler? I don't think even high temp silicone is gonna hold up under those conditions. If you don't have access to a welder I would use JB Weld. Takes a day to harden but it won't come loose. I had a small hole in my header pipe and I used JB Weld on it. Still holding up 500 miles later.

IP Logged
scroop

Good grief, not
again!!!

western PA
Reply #7 - 09/06/11 at 15:51:32

onelunger,
I sold my Jardine back in April because I thought it was too loud, but I loved the look. Went with a Harley slip on.  I'm happy enough with it, but would have loved to have done what you did.  Great job.

Ride free!
  IP Logged
Stay Dry
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 09/06/11 at 17:43:01

The Washer is still in place, after three weeks, with silicone. The washer is too large to be pushed out (direction of exhaust airflow) so the worry is it beig pushed inwards. It should take no more than an hour (excluding welding) to re do the job (next time it will be a weld if the silicone fails too soon. My buddy just purchased a welder).
Below is the link to the video of my bike after the modification. There is also a before video on my page. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OcU-ommUKE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

IP Logged
Mrmohawk
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 05/18/19 at 08:21:06

I know this post is a bit old but do you repack the baffle before it goes back in or does this mod eliminate the packing?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 05/21/19 at 04:21:59

Mrmohawk wrote on 05/18/19 at 08:21:06:
I know this post is a bit old but do you repack the baffle before it goes back in or does this mod eliminate the packing?

Onelunger has not been on this forum in 7 years - so I will respond.

You need to removed the packing when doing this mod.

In the original configuration the muffler is straight through, and the noise is supposed to be lessened by sound waves being absorbed into the packing around the core.

In the modified version the muffler is no longer straight through, and the exhaust flow goes into the inside of the core and then has to pass through the holes......the core has been converted to a baffle (which is far better at  dampening the pressure pulses and cuts down on noise better).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #11 - 05/21/19 at 05:50:58

Dave is correct, but I would like to add that the Dyna muffler works the same way ,the only difference being the area between the the holed inter pipe and the outside skin of the muffler is packed , and the baffle is in the center of the inter pipe.  If the baffle of the Dyna is damaged it can be replaced by driving a auto soft plug (1 1/4" ) half way down it's length from the inlet end, I'm not sure this wouldn't work for the Jardine as well. If Onelunger found the Dyna he tried to use to loud ,it was probably because the baffle was drilled or removed by a PO .

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Mrmohawk
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 05/22/19 at 21:35:37

Thanks guys I figured so. I got the bike with a jardine already on it. I put the stock pipe back on because it was crazy loud but my hopped up scooter sounds better lol. Got the pipe modded just waiting for the weather to break here in upstate ny to check it out

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/19/24 at 19:21:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Smooth sound from a Jardine-free and easy mod

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.