Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Unwanted engine noises!! Oil issues?? (Read 239 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Unwanted engine noises!! Oil issues??
Reply #15 - 07/22/11 at 19:07:48

Keep the idle at 1,000 or a bit more,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Markusublime
YaBB Newbies

Thumpin through the
great white north.

Ontario,Canada
Reply #16 - 07/22/11 at 20:15:04

Are you hearing it on the left side of the bike?You maybe hearing the drive belt,I hear mine make the same kinda noise you described (high pitch whining that comes and goes).I tend to hear mine while accelerating and as the swing arm moves up and down with the road surface.it comes from the changes in tension on the belt as the swing arm goes through the arc shape that comes from the suspension geometry.with the milage on your bike I wouldn't be too worried but there is a tool for checking it in the toolkit on the bike.

Loud pipes save lives
  IP Logged
AlphaBarney

Were you born to
resist, or be
abused?

Raleigh, NC
Reply #17 - 07/23/11 at 09:04:05

Sero, you hit it right on the head with the drive-belt.  I didn't even think about that, but yes when I pull the clutch the noise stops.  I'll definitely be looking into those fixes.  I should still think about tuning up the valves and looking at the cam anyway, but at least I know it's nothing major right now.  Thanks everyone.

"Betty"-'05 S40
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #18 - 07/23/11 at 15:41:26

" The advantage of the 10w40 is better head cooling.  20w50 is good for the crank bearings. "

Why is that? I ask because I changed the oil for the first time since I bought the bike and used 20-50 Amsoil.  The dealer had put in 10-40 bulk oil at its only other change when they put it in storage in the fall. After an hour running at 4500 rpm in very hot weather I noticed the valves were noisy just before I shut it down. The noise was normal when I started it up again. It may have been my imagination but it seemed to run cooler with the new oil.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #19 - 07/23/11 at 16:09:34

arteacher wrote on 07/23/11 at 15:41:26:
" The advantage of the 10w40 is better head cooling.  20w50 is good for the crank bearings. "

Why is that? I ask because I changed the oil for the first time since I bought the bike and used 20-50 Amsoil.  The dealer had put in 10-40 bulk oil at its only other change when they put it in storage in the fall. After an hour running at 4500 rpm in very hot weather I noticed the valves were noisy just before I shut it down. The noise was normal when I started it up again. It may have been my imagination but it seemed to run cooler with the new oil.

I did some oil trials last summer.  Looking for a magic snake oil that would cure my summer oil burning problem.  Didn't find one, not klotz, not amsoil, not mobil1, all 20w50.  And the average head temp when up with the 20w50 vs the 5w40 for the same ambient temperatures.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 08:23:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Unwanted engine noises!! Oil issues??

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.