Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Close call (Read 142 times)
Tiefighterpilot

Daily Rider

San Francisco
Close call
07/20/11 at 23:46:58

I drove through an intersection near my work yesterday morning around 7:40am, as I do almost every morning to work.  Right after I passed the intersection I had to stop behind a car.  As I was the last vehicle, I was watching my mirrors for idiot forgetting to stop. It must have been about 2 seconds after I went through the intersection... As I came to a stop.  I heard a loud screech and a crash.  In the mirror, I saw a brand new Camero spin around 360, which must have been t-boned by a car running a red light.  Whew! If I was only 2 seconds slower... That would have been me.  I had few close calls where I had to take evasive action in the past... Never really shook me up.  This one would have been one that I could not ride away from if I was in the Camero's spot.  This incident sure got me thinking.  Look twice when entering an intersection... Even if you have the right of way.

2007 S40, KN Cone Air Filter, BCB Pipe, BCB Fender and seat, Superbrace Fork Brace with guard, 55 Pilot, 155 Main, washer mod, iridium spark plug, no afterfire, some engine breaking noise
  IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Re: Close call
Reply #1 - 07/21/11 at 00:16:51

Never assume they will yield the right of way to you in your cage let alone when on your bike.
He!!, most people dont even know what right of way means anymore.

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #2 - 07/21/11 at 03:29:37

I get honked at frequently because I wait for everyone to come to a complete stop before I proceed at lights. This is because I had a near miss when someone ran a red. She was going fast enough that I would have been seriously maimed if I had gone when the light had changed.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #3 - 07/21/11 at 04:27:31

arteacher wrote on 07/21/11 at 03:29:37:
I get honked at frequently because I wait for everyone to come to a complete stop before I proceed at lights. This is because I had a near miss when someone ran a red. She was going fast enough that I would have been seriously maimed if I had gone when the light had changed.

That is a good thought.  My 13yo son, when he was younger, thought we were supposed to watch the lights and shoot out like a dragster when the light turned green.  It took a while before he understood there are some folks that will squeeze the orange and sometimes get a little tomatoe juice as well.  I try not to be in that much of a hurry.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
Edgar

Are you a lucky
little lady in the
city of light?

San Diego
Reply #4 - 07/21/11 at 04:35:38

Man by 2 seconds! I think Might of had to pull over and take some deep
Breaths after taking that into account  Shocked

Stay Frosty.
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #5 - 07/21/11 at 04:43:54

prechermike wrote on 07/21/11 at 04:27:31:
arteacher wrote on 07/21/11 at 03:29:37:

That is a good thought.  My 13yo son, when he was younger, thought we were supposed to watch the lights and shoot out like a dragster when the light turned green.  It took a while before he understood there are some folks that will squeeze the orange and sometimes get a little tomatoe juice as well.  I try not to be in that much of a hurry.

My oldest, when he was 15 was stopped at a light, standing beside his bike. Two pickups each decided to run the yellow and collided, one of them spinning around and hitting him, knocking him 30'. He had a major concussion, causing permanent bi-polarity, some memory loss, and a banged up knee. He received a $13,000 settlement.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 07/21/11 at 05:15:24

I was on the clock, driving my own van, wanted to stop & buy a garden tool,, agonized over it a sec,, but pulled in & as I got out of the van, I heard tires squealing & an impact at the the intersection I would have been driving thru had I not stopped,,
I cant even count the times Ive seen someone do something that had I been one or 2 seconds sooner or later, I would have been in it,. close calls have been a mainstay in my life. I wonder how many people come really close & dont even notice it.

Youre NOT paranoid,, idiots are really out there & they WILL take you out,,stay awake, stay alive.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
T2

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Frederick, CO
Reply #7 - 07/21/11 at 07:52:14

My step daughter was fresh out of Driver Education and eager for some seat time.  At the first stop sign she encountered, she stopped correctly, said something under her breath and pulled out right in front of cars approaching from both the left and the right.  After my heart restarted, I asked her what she was thinking.  She said her driver instructor told her to stop, count to two and proceed.  She was upset to find out that waiting for cross traffic was part of the equation.  Shocked

IP Logged
Sunchasers

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks the Rockies!

Northern Colorado
Reply #8 - 07/21/11 at 08:14:25

Wolfman wrote on 07/21/11 at 00:16:51:
....He!!, most people dont even know what right of way means anymore.

Ain't that the truth!!  Always burns my butt when a cager turns in front of pedestrians in the crosswalk or honks at them cuz they start crossing before he can make the turn!  Angry

1987 LS650P, Blue/Purple, stock w/ white spacer mod, 2-1/4 turns, Raptor petcock, seat ht. mod, Verslavy, Routys F.C., 8300 mi
  IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #9 - 07/21/11 at 11:22:40

Four way stop signs are always a joy, especialy when you get about 3 vehicle comeing to a stop at once. Do they even teach that the vehicle to the right of you has the right fo way anymore, hence the name 'Right of Way?'
And those intersections that have two stop signs AND a caution light? Geezzz! I let em Honk.

While we're on the subject i love those nimrods that want to turn onto the road to the left and only look right before turning out. Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #10 - 07/21/11 at 11:31:55

Sunchasers wrote on 07/21/11 at 08:14:25:

Ain't that the truth!!  Always burns my butt when a cager turns in front of pedestrians in the crosswalk or honks at them cuz they start crossing before he can make the turn!  Angry

You should try driving in Manhattan, you get honked at if you let pedestrians cross that way.

IP Logged
Sunchasers

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks the Rockies!

Northern Colorado
Reply #11 - 07/21/11 at 11:53:07

Arnold wrote on 07/21/11 at 11:31:55:
Sunchasers wrote on 07/21/11 at 08:14:25:

You should try driving in Manhattan, you get honked at if you let pedestrians cross that way.

One of many reasons why I have never been to NYC or even care to go!   Grin

1987 LS650P, Blue/Purple, stock w/ white spacer mod, 2-1/4 turns, Raptor petcock, seat ht. mod, Verslavy, Routys F.C., 8300 mi
  IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #12 - 07/21/11 at 11:58:30

Yes I love our rudeness Smiley

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 07/21/11 at 12:30:41

For people who cant imagine what a millisecond is, go to NY & be in front when the lite turns green,, a Millisecond is the amount of time it takes for the person behind you to honk,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #14 - 07/21/11 at 12:38:15

Sometimes you only wait for the other guys light to turn red or the walk signal to say stop. Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 05:17:57

General CategoryThe Cafe › Close call

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.