Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Serial Numbers and MSRP vs Year of Mfg (Read 127 times)
mojo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW MO
Serial Numbers and MSRP vs Year of Mfg
07/20/11 at 19:01:11

I tried searching for these in the tech ref section and the rubber side down section but got 0 results.  Would appreciate someone directing me to them either on this site or elsewhere.

I'm seeing what I think are some really high prices for bikes on Craigslist based on year of mfg.  I'm starting to get serious about buying one.  Everyone says wait until cold weather.  Do prices drop that much?

tks.......mojo

"Never Say Never"
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Re: Serial Numbers and MSRP vs Year of Mfg
Reply #1 - 07/20/11 at 19:25:28

www.totalmotorcycle.com gives specs by year and MSRP.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
mojo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW MO
Reply #2 - 07/20/11 at 20:47:31

Tks Boofer.  I added it to my bookmarks.  Will spend some time there checking things out.

"Never Say Never"
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 07/21/11 at 06:26:26

NOt much demand right now for Christmas trees or snow skis,, according to typical market theory, now is the best time to buy, when theres less competition from other buyers. If you were at an auction & winter sporting gear came across, would you expect to see lots of bidders? Right now, nobody is really thinking about p[laying in the snow,,
Buy your boats & bikes in the fall & skis in the spring. Or so Ive heard, & af all the things Ive heard, at least this one makes sense/

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Sunchasers

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks the Rockies!

Northern Colorado
Reply #4 - 07/21/11 at 08:28:44

Simple supply and demand.  I noticed that in addition to JOG's comment, that the price of gas dramatically affects the price of used bikes in our area, especially in the private sale market.  When gas was getting to over $4 a gallon, decent used bikes were downright hard to find and selling at a premium!

1987 LS650P, Blue/Purple, stock w/ white spacer mod, 2-1/4 turns, Raptor petcock, seat ht. mod, Verslavy, Routys F.C., 8300 mi
  IP Logged
mojo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW MO
Reply #5 - 07/21/11 at 14:54:23

JOG & Sun: What you guys say makes sense.  I'm just gonna keep researching prices, what to look at when buying used, etc.  Not going to seriously look until after labor day.  When I find that "deal", I'll be prepared to pounce on it!

Tks for the replies.  Smiley

"Never Say Never"
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 07/26/11 at 09:48:31

Yes the prices people are asking on Craigslist are high this summer.  Some people are asking 50% more than they did last fall or even early this spring.  I think the price of gas has driven the market price up some.  But I have noticed that the overpriced bikes are not being sold; it is already too far into the season but the sellers are holding out for high prices.  They will drop sharply in October, at least in the northern states.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #7 - 07/26/11 at 17:48:56

One problem with CL is they show the ASKING price not the selling price. I bought my Savage for about 400 less than the asking price in a small, free, sales paper. I kept noticing it for three weeks and realized they were probably not getting many nibbles. I researched it and called the guy and said I would get it Saturday if he would give me his best price and it rode out. No extra talk. Just a real buyer who wanted it. It gave me the power to bargain and took it away from him. He gave me a low price and I agreed it was good if the bike was. Made a new friend and we still email two years later. He even drove up once and asked if I was ready to sell it back. I wasn't.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
OE

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Panama City, FL
Reply #8 - 07/28/11 at 10:31:43

Here's a link to Kelly's Blue book.  It gives a ballpark figure but it still boils down to whatever the traffic will bear.  It'll give you a starting point anyway.

http://www.kbb.com/motorcycle/retail/

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 12:25:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Serial Numbers and MSRP vs Year of Mfg

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.