Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Still going (Read 410 times)
ebonysresearch

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Still going
07/20/11 at 04:51:42

I'm riding my 87 ls 650 between 3 1/2 to 4 hours a day.  I finally found a starter on ebay, thank the lord.  I still have a horible tick in my top end. I live in Lancaster ohio but i'm working in williamstown WV..So day in and day out its an hour and a half minimum to home and then the same back.  So I am holding this engine almost wide open that whole time.  Yet she keeps going.  I have had my share of adventures..you know those moments where you are on the side of the highway wondering "how am I going to get this going...?"  The worst was in Febuary when I rode through a sleet and rain and snow mix and shorted my electrical twice, fried the sloenoid and had to start her with my pocket knife,  I'm burning though about a half a quart of oil per round trip...dont know if thats from an extended period of time at the RPM?  Just wanted to post that life is good and these bikes are tanks.  I have given this bike a bad beating and she just keeps going.  well ok you have to poke and prod and encourage her every once and a while but hey...she gets me there.  I know the harleys I work on every day cant be riden like this without some expensive mods  and constant maintenence.

IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Re: Still going
Reply #1 - 07/20/11 at 04:54:51

I agree, these are tough little bikes.  I STILL haven't found a different bike that I would trade my Savage for.

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #2 - 07/20/11 at 08:07:49

Geez, reminds me of my commute when I was a kid back in Europe on my shi77y bike. You're a real trooper.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 07/20/11 at 11:36:12

1/2 qt a day? probably time for rings, check the top of your piston for deposits.

horrible tick, probably piston slap.

WWW   IP Logged
adberns
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 07/20/11 at 11:59:07

Nice work on the longevity.  Engines, especially this one, are probably tougher than I give them credit for.  That being said, I still baby my stuff, just so I don't end up finding out their limits Smiley

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #5 - 07/20/11 at 15:04:37

Quote:
..So day in and day out its an hour and a half minimum to home and then the same back.  So I am holding this engine almost wide open that whole time.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Why would you be holding it almost wire open. Is it that sick on hp, or  are you just trying to ruin it ? If you are, you will succeed. You make think it indestructable, but it isn't.
It has been said, that any gasoline engine that is run wide open for much length of time,.....that the valves are slowly going out the exhaust pipe !

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 07/20/11 at 16:29:18

Generally, Running an engine at more than 80% of its maximum capacity will shorten its life dramatically.. Give or take a few %age points,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 07/20/11 at 16:53:08

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/20/11 at 16:29:18:
Generally, Running an engine at more than 80% of its maximum capacity will shorten its life dramatically.. Give or take a few %age points,,

maximum capacity is so much more, if it were healthy.

add one more possibility... worn out cam.

WWW   IP Logged
adberns
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 07/20/11 at 17:55:14

Could the valves just need adjusting?  It's not a Harley Smiley

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 07/20/11 at 18:08:24

I lived in that area many years ago and my only transportation was a British twin at the time.  I've run back and forth on 33, 50, 550, 7 and so on. And I visited the area recently for the fun of it, the roads have been improved but there is no way I could make that run close to full throttle due to some sections of unfinished freeway, towns like Nelsonville, the student traffic for OU, and in the case of 550, if you use that route, a very twisty road.  I think you must be losing power for some reason.

You live in a nice area, lots of good roads for bikes.  I hope to go back there again some day.  Hope you find the problem with the bike.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
ebonysresearch

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 07/21/11 at 16:42:56

verslagen yes 1/2 a quart a day...redid the rings last summer and have been burning oil since.  I was for sure that they were all facing the correct way but, I either strongly suspect I may have either installed my scraper up side down or that one of my valve seals is Not sealing.  Piston slap...i dont think so since I put my stethoscope on and its def loudest in the rocker.  some one a while back said something about the cam journals being worn or the rocker bolts being loose so I retourqued the rocker cover bolts and the sound became louder...

And yes I have adjusted my valves...I have several suspicions but wont find out till she breaks and I tear her down and rebuild it again.  hopefully next winter.  

IP Logged
ebonysresearch

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 07/21/11 at 16:46:40

right on the head.  50 to 33 and then up through nelsonville.  thats the only spot where I have to slow down.  it is a nice ride especially North of nelsonville.  So when I'm on the highway Im on it and when I get to nelsonville I have to stop for the lights.  Usually just putt through town.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #12 - 07/22/11 at 03:53:57

ebonysresearch wrote on 07/21/11 at 16:42:56:
verslagen yes 1/2 a quart a day...redid the rings last summer and have been burning oil since.  I was for sure that they were all facing the correct way but, I either strongly suspect I may have either installed my scraper up side down or that one of my valve seals is Not sealing.  Piston slap...i dont think so since I put my stethoscope on and its def loudest in the rocker.  some one a while back said something about the cam journals being worn or the rocker bolts being loose so I retourqued the rocker cover bolts and the sound became louder...

And yes I have adjusted my valves...I have several suspicions but wont find out till she breaks and I tear her down and rebuild it again.  hopefully next winter.  

Take that thing apart and rebuild it before you have a disastrous schrapnel session at speed.  If the motor disintegrates, it will most likely happen at high rpm, which could put you in danger,... no power in traffic all of a sudden,....  or engine pieces and oil all over everything when leaned into a turn,....  or the engine locking up while at speed.

Another factor: it'll be more expensive to fix if it explodes than if you just take it apart and rebuild it in a relaxed manner.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
adberns
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 07/22/11 at 07:06:28

Yeah, I had figured you knew to check the valves, being as you said you worked on bikes.  I was more commenting on Harleys mostly (all?) having hydraulic valves.  I've always been jealous of that! Smiley  My CB700SC also has hydraulic valves, and still revs to 10k.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #14 - 07/23/11 at 06:51:22

adberns wrote on 07/22/11 at 07:06:28:

Yeah, I had figured you knew to check the valves, being as you said you worked on bikes.  I was more commenting on Harleys mostly (all?) having hydraulic valves.  I've always been jealous of that! Smiley  My CB700SC also has hydraulic valves, and still revs to 10k.

Gold Wings since 1984 have had hydraulic valves, as well.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 23:26:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Still going

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.