Any Hunters Here? (Read 202 times)
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Any Hunters Here?
07/20/11 at 00:58:15

Was going through some old addys and came across my old hunting site. Have'nt updated it in awhile. Need to get me another FTP program.
Anyways, got some pics of folks(friends) i used to moderate on a big hunting site. Used to have em send me a pic or two of their successful hunts, some art work ect.
Couple of stories of ladies i guided to their first birds and some fantasy stuff i used to write. Dont have alot of writeing time anymore since dad passed(except for the last two weeks...lol)
Thought some might be interested.

http://www.fidnet.com/~wolfman/index1.html

Im a lil better groomed in this pic then i am now. Hairs longer, whats left of it, half way down my back in a ponytail. Beards more of a goatee now and a lil whiter...lol

Yeah i aint posted a pic of me or the bike on this site yet but theres a couple on my old site(hunting pics).
Im still pretty much the same, 6ft 190lbs with just a lil more gray in the beard. He!! its been 10 years, give me a break...lol

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Any Hunters Here?
Reply #1 - 07/20/11 at 04:04:33

Hows a wild turkey taste compared to a commercially raised bird?
I hear those things are kinda hard to get,, got real good eyes & leave quick.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #2 - 07/20/11 at 05:46:00

Sweet!  Can't wait for this season.  My cabin in the woods is more liveable, been spending alot more time there.  Turkey-hunted for the first time last season, but bow-hunting deer is my favorite.  Actually started building a new treestand this past weekend.  Just an enclosed raised box, but needed a little more wood to finish.  Hopefully get it done this weekend.  Gotta get them used to it being there before the season starts.  

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #3 - 07/20/11 at 07:47:24

I am a big hunter. getting ready for the upcoming season but I dont have my own place to go so I am forced to fight for space on crowded SC public land, but I did get my WMA permit this year and I am pretty excited about that.

IP Logged
VAFarmer
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 07/20/11 at 08:25:40

I hunt all seasons, all game, all types when I have time.

Made my first longbow this year, and should be hunting with it come fall for whitetail.

I shudder to think how much I've spent just on USED traditional bows in the past 2 years, only to find that I can make one that shoots as good for 15 bucks and a few spare hours.

God bless,

Farmer

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 07/20/11 at 09:49:19

"That's a big chicken.",...Woody Allen - Sleeper
Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #6 - 07/20/11 at 11:05:57

The meats a lil darker and their a lil drier then tame farm raised turkeys justin. But thats about true for any wild game. Taste pretty much the same.
Their considered to be one of the hardest quarries to take with Fall Mature birds being the hardest thing to take.
Unlike Deer ect turkeys have NO curosity at all. To them everything is trying to eat them from the time they crack the egg till they die. Which is pretty much true...lol
Different seasons call for differant tactics and calls as well as calling style.
Their eyesight is unbelieveable. They have a vision acuity of around 320 degrees, excellent periphial vison and very movement oriented. You move they see you. Their hearing rivals their eyesight. Their sense of smell pretty well sucks but that dont help a lot...lol
And for such a big bird they can be VERY quiet when they want to be.
They can sneak in on you to within 10-15 yards easily even in the driest leaves.
Like a bumblebee they shouldnt be able to fly but they Fake it REAL WELL! Running, you might catch one if your on horseback...lol Their fast.
Ive been playing with them since 1972, got a lil bit of a rep hunting them. Did a lil field testing on calls n such for a couple of the big companies for a few years. Mainly just love to pit my wits against theirs.
Their a 'dumb bird' with a brain less then the size of a golf ball. But they can and WILL make you feel and look pretty stupid if you dont take care. Frustrateing and maddening is a good example...lol

Bow hunting for them BBH is a lot of fun, especialy the poults in the fall. KIll zones only about the size of a small orange though and you got to pick your shots carefully. Back, side and rear shots the best. Frontal shots the breast and breastbone make em a bit of a hard kill.
They see or hear the shot they will easily jump the arrow to.
Want to use a large head for them as well cause you want to do maximum damge and keep em from flying. Otherwise you stand a greater chance of loseing one or spending the day looking for them if they fly.

Know what you mean slpash, used to have a few thousand acres of family land to hunt down around the lake. Uncles all got old or died and pretty much all of its been sold off now.
One guy bought up about 2000 acres of the best of it and fenced it in and turned it into a game ranch. Makes me sick everytime i drive by the place now. Was my favorite haunts for deer, turkeys and fishing. My getaway spot. Brings in Buffalo n elk to go along with the native deer n turkey that was already there. I HATE fenced in game ranchs. No freedom to roam or escape for the critters. Im big on fair chase.

Farmer, id always hunted with recurves up untill i messed my back up several years back. Still dont cotton to compounds to much and shoot my recurves when i can. Not had a lot of time for either the last 3 or 4 years though. I hunted deer n turkeys but i also hunted rabbits in front of a beagle and squirrels n Fish as well. LOVE carp n Gar shooting...lol

Big chicken bot?...lol
They will flop n flog you like a chicken but they will also knock you out!
Got to watch em even when their dead n flopping. They crack you upside the head with one of them big wing knuckles they can actualy knock you cold. Hurts like the devil even if they dont.
Them spurs get to be 2+ inchs long on a really big bird and can be needle sharp. Make some real nice holes n wounds...lol
I used to have a couple of half wild birds id fight with on the farm. Dad said i made em mean. Even the yard guard dogs were afraid of them...lol

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 07/20/11 at 18:57:20

Well, If I cant shoot the one on foot & wing I CAN "shoot" the Other "Wild Turkey" one shot at a time.. Id heard they were a real tough quarry to take,, thanks for your run down of what theyre like to hunt,, sounds frustrating, fun & (possibly) rewarding..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #8 - 07/20/11 at 19:22:35

Big squirrel hunter now, mainly to protect the pecan and walnut crops. Haven't seen how many deer I'll be allowed this year, when I lived here before we were allowed 12, each, as long as we were on the farm. And the tags were free.

Used to have turkeys and hogs here, but I think the local poachers must have gotten them. Pretty sure somebody sniped the 8x9 herd buck out of the bean field, haven't seen him in a couple weeks.

Rabbit population is up right now, have had to pull a couple kits out of the swimming pool.

And I love to go after water mocassins and snapping turtles.

Justin, "gobble juice" is like Jim Beam, too sweet. Try some Glenmorrangie, at least 12 year old.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Classic650
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NH
Reply #9 - 07/27/11 at 06:49:43

Yeah, by last name only.     Cheesy

IP Logged
CBH
YaBB Newbies

Mid Ohio Valley
Reply #10 - 07/27/11 at 07:25:27

1986 Suzuki Savage LS650
1993 GoldWing GL1500 Interstate
1984 Honda Shadow VT700
  IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #11 - 08/09/11 at 23:52:28

[quote author=4152160 link=1311148695/0#8 date=1311214955]Big squirrel hunter now, mainly to protect the pecan and walnut crops.

Rabbit population is up right now, have had to pull a couple kits out of the swimming pool.
quote]

Sounds like you need my whippets there for a few weeks. Guaranteed to reduce that squirrel and rabbit problem pronto - all of my whippets are keen hunters and they DO take down any game that wanders into my yard (including Toby killing a racoon - THAT scared me  Shocked !)

I've only used regular bows, not compound. Would love to get back into that...in between all the other projects!  Grin

CBH - NICE work with that bow on the buck!

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #12 - 08/11/11 at 03:47:31

Well well well...  Bring the pups, one of our beagles is a squirrel dog, the other a rabbit, squirrel whatever other little critter it finds dog. And I've got a couple perfectly straight bois d'arc (osage orange, bodock, hedge apple) trees to cut bow staves out of. I need another long bow, my stepson has my cherry/ash/hickory 50# English type out in Washington. Lisa got rid of her bows but kept her sheepskin covered quiver.

Lisa thought my hunting blind had been cut up and hauled off for scrap. Nope, it is still there, 1930s semi trailer behind some brush and small trees at the edge of the wheat/soybean field... I'll have to find the cam and get a pic or two before the thing totally disintegrates, hasn't moved since WW2. Ought to rebuild it enough to move and turn into the barn for the mini horse...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 12:29:02

General CategoryThe Cafe › Any Hunters Here?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.