Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Poll Poll
Question: Do you warn people about speed traps?

Yes  
  23 (85.1%)
No  
  4 (14.8%)

Total votes: 27
« Created by: HalfPint on: 07/17/11 at 08:21:55 »

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Speed Traps (Read 204 times)
HalfPint

Cumming, GA
Speed Traps
07/17/11 at 08:21:55

I never really thought about it till a day or so ago a car was flashing their high beams at me. Slowed down, and sure enough it was a speed trap.

If you do warn people how do you while riding? I've heard of people patting their helmets, but doesn't that mean their front lamp is out? If you do this to other riders.

1987 Pearl Savage ^_-
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Speed Traps
Reply #1 - 07/17/11 at 08:34:26

I always jest flashed my high beams at them.  

I run a Silvana silver star bulb so they can tell there's a difference -- might not be a standard cop signal but it alerts them that "something's up" and they are thinking about it when they hit the speed trap.

"Oh, that's what he meant."

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #2 - 07/17/11 at 08:41:40

Sure.  It greatly expands the cop's zone of influence and reminds a lot of people to drive close to the speed limit, without getting popped for $150-200. Warning others does both the motorists and general public a service, and police who are actually interested in safety should be all for it.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 07/17/11 at 09:02:21

Boule’tard wrote on 07/17/11 at 08:41:40:
Sure.  It greatly expands the cop's zone of influence and reminds a lot of people to drive close to the speed limit, without getting popped for $150-200. Warning others does both the motorists and general public a service, and police who are actually interested in safety should be all for it.

But, if they catch ya doin it, they hit ya with "Obstructing Justice".. which I dont agree with,, all youre doing is trying to get people to obey the law, which is hardly obstructing justice. If I ever got caught at it, Id just say I flash my lites at anyone I think is speeding, all the time.. to try to get them to dive safe,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 07/17/11 at 09:42:53

Around here,... the signal is a flat palm, pumping motion, as if you were pressing the brake pedal with your left hand...

I warn everyone when I'm on the highways and byways... in town I signal to bikers only, so's not to cause signal confusion..

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #5 - 07/17/11 at 10:09:53

I voted no because no one knows what it means anymore up here. The guy in front of you thinks you want to pass and slows down. Besides I don't want to distract them anymore than they already are talking on their cell phones, or yelling at their kids, or eating their burgers, or checking their makeup, or............. Grin

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #6 - 07/17/11 at 11:50:18

Nope. If they are dumb enough to get popped for it, oh well. I know where the speed traps are out here in the sticks. I know where I can speed, go the limit anyway.

In my semi I drive at or just under the limit and make better time than I would speeding, with a lot less wear on "consumable" items, like tires, brakes, clutch... Changing a big rig clutch sucks. Have to pull a 400# transmission to get at it.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Z

Ride Baby Ride!!!

Northwestern PA
Reply #7 - 07/17/11 at 17:31:09

Yes I warn people. I have been saved from a ticket more than once by someone warning me so I figure the least I can do is pass it on.  Smiley It's good Karma.

Sanity runs from my family!
  IP Logged
Silly Ogre

Former S40 Owner

Stuarts Draft VA
Reply #8 - 07/17/11 at 17:51:59

Law Enforement Officers with experience would rather people warn others...The ones that slow down probably do not deserve a ticket...The ones that ignore the warning well they are free game...

2009 V-Star Classic 650...Silly Ogre is what one of my twin daughters call me...Guess I remind her of Shrek LOL...
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #9 - 07/18/11 at 12:46:19

Z wrote on 07/17/11 at 17:31:09:
Yes I warn people. I have been saved from a ticket more than once by someone warning me so I figure the least I can do is pass it on.  Smiley It's good Karma.

+1

There's a section of road between my house and work where a cop likes to sit.  But they don't sit there all the time.  Hard to predict when he's gonna be there.  About the time you get comfortable and push the limit, he shows up again.  Around here, we seem to use headlights on and off, not just low to high beam flashes.  Since that ain't possible on the bike, I have flashed high/low beam.  

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Southpaw
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

This ol' dog ain't
staying on the
porch!

Missouri
Reply #10 - 07/18/11 at 20:56:24

I usually warn people. I'll tap the top of my helmet with my palm twice to bikers. I was taught that's a group ride sign for "slow - hazard or LEO ahead." Cars, I'll flash lights at, but there are enough modulated bikes out here I doubt people pay attention to it anymore.

2004 Savage. Happiness isn't around the corner, its IN the corners!....I gotta question the integrity of any organization that would have the likes of me as a member...Groucho Marx
  IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #11 - 07/18/11 at 21:03:04

Another bike i might warn. Cages enter at their on risk. Around here the cops, especialy the locals, will right you up if they see you just for the fun of it.
Doubt ive ever seen a cager signal a bike of a speedtrap.

Shoot, i was sitting in front of DQ tonight eatting an ice cream cone when one of the city cops comes by. Pulls up and looks me over then looks my bike over and goes over and sits in the parking lot for 15 minutes. Dont know what his problem was. Maybe down on his quotas.
Sure wish they would show up out around the overpass during rush hour. Short of a murder you wont see one out there except on their lunch break. Then its half a dozen cars at Taco Bell...lol

IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #12 - 07/19/11 at 07:47:46

Sic em pigs ...

IP Logged
weracerc
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greensboro, NC
Reply #13 - 07/19/11 at 10:50:57

i usually do the headlight flash if i am in the car (pull back on the high beam instant-on a few times).....on the cycle i would flash hi/low a few times....i hi/lowed a trucker yesterday on the interstate and he flashed his tail lights back once he made the lane change.....i suppose most drivers/riders know something is up with you flash your lights - i.e. pay attention doofus!

"GOD Was Busy, He Sent The Marines"
</div
  IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #14 - 07/19/11 at 11:09:52

I do if I meet a bike.. Cagers depends on where
they are. If near my neighborhood, I want them
stopped and ticketed..
May be bad of me, yet I get tired of cagers using
the 20 and 35 mph speed zones like their 50 mph..
If I do warn them, I flash my lights.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 00:33:50

General CategoryThe Cafe › Speed Traps

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.