Send Topic Print
Valves (Read 281 times)
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Valves
07/16/11 at 14:02:56

My bike is a 2005 s40 with 4k mi on it . It runs good ,but when it gets hot the valves make noise . What exactly is happening to cause it to tic rather loudly and is it normal ? I have filled the oil to the sight glass bottom on the side stand. I can't fix it myself , do you think I should bring it in ? It's not that loud but definately noticable.I don't want to damage anything . Thanks.

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Re: Valves
Reply #1 - 07/16/11 at 14:17:05

Valves are going to make more noise when the oil's hot (and thin) no matter what you do.  You can mitigate that problem by adjusting them (to what, 0.004"?) and running fresh 20W-50 when the weather's hot.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 07/16/11 at 14:26:44

I think the book calls for valve adj at 5,000 miles. & Yes, you can do it,, If you dont do your own basic maintenance, youll spend so much on mechanics the bike will stop being an inexpensive ride, the $$$ you spend on tools will be saved on the first job  & then some, & yea, if youre hearing it get louder, its probably time,, after a while, they dont need adjusted so oftenb, once the adjuster tips get flattened out some & they work harden,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #3 - 07/16/11 at 15:21:14

what will happen if I just let them tic?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #4 - 07/16/11 at 15:41:25

For a while, nothin,, theyre always gonna tic,, if you make them stop ticking, then youve got big troubles,, eventually, unless they get adjusted, the parts that come together to open them will beat themselves up & mushroom the tips ( Which is gonna happen over time , but you dont want this kind of SLAP going on), youll lose some power, because the valves wont be opening as far as theyre supposed to,, Ive heard it can cause some wear on the cam, & tappets, because they slap the same as the end that opens the valve,, & ,, others have come in here, never messed with valves & survived, because the people her can talk you thru it,, I know,, I couldnt do it when I got here,.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 07/16/11 at 15:42:05

rl153 wrote on 07/16/11 at 15:21:14:
what will happen if I just let them tic?

they're supposed to tic like a swiss watch.
when they start ticking like a guy playing the spoons, it is time to adjust.

WWW   IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #6 - 07/17/11 at 11:32:32

I think mine falls in the spoon categorey. How much should a reasonable valve adjustment cost?

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #7 - 07/17/11 at 11:43:03

If I was a bike mechanic I'd only charge an hour to do it. It's pretty easy, probably $100 or less in mechanic time, and no disposables required --BUT-- the engine has to be cold to get a good reading.  So figure on leaving your bike in the shop overnight.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #8 - 07/17/11 at 14:14:36

thanks alot ,thats not too bad

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 07/17/11 at 16:19:21

FWIW, I took mine to a shop the 1st time.. the guy was nice enough to let me watch, I figured I could do it after that,

IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #10 - 07/17/11 at 16:23:21

Whats the name of the cover you have to take off to get at them? Does it leak if they don't put it back on right? The mechanic listened to it once and told me not to worry about it ,but it definately seems too loud to me.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 07/17/11 at 16:34:00

The big worry is a hamfisted loon twisting the bolts off,, theyre soft,, better that it leak & then you tighten it a bit more than someone "Makin sure it doesnt leak" by twisting one off,.,. & theres an odd shaped Oring under the caps over the valves,, Snug is plenty good.
& theyre sposed to be adjusted cold, so the valve stems are short, adjust them hot & it'll be loose, doesnt have to be exactly room temp, but far below operating temp is the idea. Besides, working in there is tight,, a hot engine would be a real bummer to try to work on the valves.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #12 - 07/18/11 at 07:59:13

rl153 wrote on 07/17/11 at 16:23:21:
The mechanic listened to it once and told me not to worry about it ,but it definately seems too loud to me.

Does this tell you something ?

Have you heard other air cooled engines running in hot weather to have something to compare to ?

Do you hear it while riding, or just idling ?

Do you have a windshield,....or possibly just added one ?

All these things make a difference.

You may not have any abnormal noise at all.
When idling hot, mine is noisy at best !
And its a lot nosier while riding after a windshield install.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
adberns
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 07/18/11 at 09:03:05

RL153, where are you located?  Assuming I did the valves this weekend correctly on the 1998 Savage (see my other thread about tight valves), it wasn't too difficult.  May be able to help out.

If you'd rather, you can PM with your state/region.

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #14 - 07/18/11 at 10:45:30

When the motor on mine is cold, it sounds nice and smooth. The valves have a real light tick, you have to listen real close to hear it. When the motor is hot, especially in this hot weather  and when coming off the highway, it makes quiet some racket at idle. Almost sound like a loose tensioner. But i have the extended plunger in there already, so it can't be that. Turn it off for 10 minutes, and start it back up again, and the racket is gone.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 21:06:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Valves

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.