ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: splicing wires
Reply #30 - 07/18/11 at 11:31:48

Seriously,

Amp style crimp connectors are perfectly sound when correctly applied and back up with a crimp height measurement, a millivolt drop test and destructive pull test that is done on good sampling plan basis.  

Production crimps are reliable as anything if done correctly.

Having worked in that industry and having set up the quality control crimp height gaging systems, millivolt tests and pull test systems and the SPC controls over each element of each crimped connector -- me, I over-solder my crimps that I do on an ad hoc basis by a simple hand held crimper.   I don't have to be perfect on the crimp, as a matter of fact I tend to crimp a little loose on purpose so as not to crush cut or compression stretch the wires any.

Ever had a crimp "fatigue" the wire in half and fall off the end of the cable for no good reason?

Wink

Bill,

I worked for Black and Decker for 25 years, what brand do you think I have?   Black & Decker bought a good big chunk the of GE Appliance business when I was there and B&D was making GE dryers in Taiwan as part of that business chunk.    They kept the GE brand name on it as the B&D marked same item got complaints from women that it was "too strong" and burned their hair.

Got them mixed up with the B&D paint stripper heat guns?  

Who knows?

Grin

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #31 - 07/18/11 at 12:02:21

By the by, make sure you don't twist the wires before inserting into the terminal for crimping.

You want the least amount of airspace inside the crimp.  The inserted part of the wire should be as straight and compact as possible, with minimum size diff between the ID of the terminal and the OD of the inserted wire.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #32 - 07/18/11 at 12:38:45

Oldfeller, you and I are of the same mind. I also solder crimps and crimp terminals and I mostly use the crimp as a solder reservoir, and to hold the wires together while I solder, so I crimp loosely, for the very reason that crimping too tight damages the wire. If you have crimped it tight enough so as you are not able to pull it apart, you have damaged the wire.
Gyro, it's OK to twist wires together to crimp as long if they are tightly twisted (there is a tool for that).
That being said, proper soldering is time consuming, both in learning how to do it properly (it took me a year at least)  and actually doing it, compared to crimping.
One last point: a hair dryer does not make enough heat to shrink  heat shrink tubing properly.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #33 - 07/18/11 at 13:00:12

Where did you guys do all this soldering  ?
Show me a commercial made anything that has even 1 drop of solder on any terminal, other than any place like a small switch etc where crimping it not possible.
Good God Gerti, we're not talking which is better or worse, we're talking what works !! And crimping only works,...and has for 75 years !
And who that has a life would haggle over whether to twist a wire or not ? Gheeeeeeesch ! Roll Eyes

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #34 - 07/18/11 at 13:01:54

Routy wrote on 07/18/11 at 13:00:12:
Where did you guys do all this soldering  ?
Show me a commercial made anything that has even 1 drop of solder on any terminal, other than any place like a small switch etc where crimping it not possible.
Good God Gerti, we're not talking which is better or worse, we're talking what works !! And crimping only works,...and has for 75 years !
And who that has a life would haggle over whether to twist a wire or not ? Gheeeeeeesch ! Roll Eyes

Soldering is not used commercially very much outside of printed circuit boards because it is too time consuming.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #35 - 07/18/11 at 13:09:37

arteacher wrote on 07/18/11 at 12:38:45:
Oldfeller, you and I are of the same mind. I also solder crimps and crimp terminals and I mostly use the crimp as a solder reservoir, and to hold the wires together while I solder, so I crimp loosely, for the very reason that crimping too tight damages the wire. If you have crimped it tight enough so as you are not able to pull it apart, you have damaged the wire.
Gyro, it's OK to twist wires together to crimp as long if they are tightly twisted (there is a tool for that).
That being said, proper soldering is time consuming, both in learning how to do it properly (it took me a year at least)  and actually doing it, compared to crimping.
One last point: a hair dryer does not make enough heat to shrink  heat shrink tubing properly.

Let's just agree you have a completely different mindset on soldering.  Your mindset differs from the established/recommended procedures used by those upon whose work millions of lives depend.  You think soldering is the cat's meow,... those of us working in aviation know different.

Sure it's okay to twist the wires before crimping.  It's also okay to twist the bare ends of a couple of wires together and wrap a lot of electrical tape around the joint.  90% of the time you'll never know the diff.  It's just better, before crimping, to keep them compact and straight.  The joint holds better and is more resistant to fatigue if they are crimped when straight.

I wonder where you come up with THESE kinds of statements: "If you have crimped it tight enough so as you are not able to pull it apart, you have damaged the wire."  This is food processed by male cattle.  Think about it.  If this were true the entire aircraft industry would either have damaged wires or wires pulling out of terminals.

That said, who really cares all that much?  A good crimp will hold for a long long time.  A good solder joint will hold for a long time.  Both will probably hold well past the point where the cam chain tensioner lets go, trashes the motor and we junk the bike,.. completely oblivious to its ratio of crimped vs soldered joints.

I suppose you feel swaging should be abandoned as a procedure as well, eh?

(Lest we interpret a "tone" that is not there, let me remind everyone about the twinkle in the eye.) Wink

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #36 - 07/18/11 at 13:15:07

Quote:
"If you have crimped it tight enough so as you are not able to pull it apart, you have damaged the wire."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have to agree,.....a statement like that has to be the winner. This thread should close on that one !

Nuff said ????

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #37 - 07/18/11 at 13:17:11

Routy wrote on 07/18/11 at 13:15:07:
Quote:
"If you have crimped it tight enough so as you are not able to pull it apart, you have damaged the wire."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have to agree,.....a statement like that has to be the winner. This thread should close on that one !

Nuff said ????

You are remarking about the humor in his statement, right?

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #38 - 07/18/11 at 13:18:19

Gyro- please explain "food processed by male cattle"- I don't understand what being male has to do with it. Wink

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #39 - 07/18/11 at 13:19:54

arteacher wrote on 07/18/11 at 13:18:19:
Gyro- please explain "food processed by male cattle"- I don't understand what being male has to do with it. Wink

What is the typical term for male cattle?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #40 - 07/18/11 at 13:23:30

From a fertilizer point of view, Id say theres no difference in male or female bovine feacal material, but, colloquially, Bull Sh1t just carries more "Punch" that Cow Crap.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #41 - 07/18/11 at 13:26:50

Gyrobob wrote on 07/18/11 at 13:19:54:

Neutered or not? Wink

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #42 - 07/18/11 at 15:40:11

arteacher wrote on 07/18/11 at 13:26:50:
Gyrobob wrote on 07/18/11 at 13:19:54:

Neutered or not? Wink

Ah,... yes,.. it does matter.  Not neutered.  The term "steerpoop" just doesn't have the same impact, does it!!?

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #43 - 07/18/11 at 16:40:07

Routy and Arty are correct that production light amperage crimp jobs using Amp applicators in an Amp crimping machine backed up by all the appropriate statistical controls used by the automotive and aerospace industry (including a full level 3 PPAP with all capability studies and all 17 sections of dedicated process information) are as rugged and reliable as can be.   This is most of your electrical connections.

Amp termination equipment used properly makes a darn fine electrical connection.   'sa fact !!

BTW, Amp sez don't twist the wire before putting it in a crimp -- wires get thinned where they cross over each other and get mashed into each other creating deformation zones.  

Crimped wires should lay parallel to each other for max integrity and greatest conductive contact after correct crimping height is applied.  Where the rolled over crimp edges roll back into the wire mass tends to cut into the twisted crossed over wires the most creating the worst problems.

===========

What you sometimes might do with a hand crimper to your personally edjumacated eyeball/grip judgment is something else.  Most hand crimp jobs tend to be a bit too tight and do both squeeze them little wires down a bit and can slightly pinch the wires at the entry end of the crimp.

===========

Yes, solder isn't a production level process much any more except in automotive starter brushes which have to withstand hell for high current loads and resistive heating.  Then the old fashioned crimp and solder is standard, not optional.   It is the most rugged, least resistance, most heat resistant and generally all round best connection between wire and screwed down termination that exists.

Grin    Grin    Grin    Grin    Grin

Now, do you strip and bend a hook then use the side screws on your electrical wall socket and light switch connections, or do you strip and jam it in straight under the screw head or do you strip and poke into the little one way grippy holes?

Don't ferget to tell us why you have that preference .....

And please don't tell us what the pros do, that's why we are having to go back and replace all them electrical fixtures in the first durn place.

Grin    Grin    Grin    Grin    Grin

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #44 - 07/18/11 at 18:49:40

Strip and bend to a hook and install with the hook turning the same way as the screw tightens so it will not be forced open.
Do I pass?
And what you say about twisting makes sense- I stand corrected.
And don't forget that rectifier diodes are soldered as well, for the same reason as the starter brushes.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 21:17:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › splicing wires

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.