splicing wires (Read 417 times)
rustysavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Nova Scotia, Canada
Re: splicing wires
Reply #15 - 07/17/11 at 18:50:59

Here's my 2 cents...... Good quality crimp connections are acceptable so are good quality soldered connection. The big reason they fail is when they are not protected from the elements. Quality double wall heat shrink tubing is your friend. Use the right size crimp connector for wire size, soldered connections require the right amount of heat and solder ( insert practise required here ) too little heat or solder= poor connection too much heat or solder= stiff and brittle joint. More fuel on the fire Smiley

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 07/17/11 at 18:52:02

OHH, & BTW, I forgot to add in the time to light the torch,, add 10 seconds,, it doesnt always play nice.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #17 - 07/17/11 at 19:16:08

How about THIS for a technique:  One of my buds out at the airport who is currently building his 4th or 5th aircraft, crimps all his joints/terminals without the plastic crimp,... just a plain metal terminal.  Then he puts on a light coat of RTV, then heat shrink tubing.  When he heats and shrinks the tubing, the RTV skooshes out each end.  

He explains his method is the securest and most reliable of all because it is easier to crimp plain metal more securely than metal covered in plastic, the RTV glues it all together and provides complete weather/oil/heat resistance, and the heat shrink tubing, which is now glued to the terminal, provides fatigue suppression because of the strain relief where the wire enters the terminal.

All that may be true, but it is slower and kinda messy.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #18 - 07/17/11 at 19:35:59

Gyrobob is right that crimp connectors are preferred in aircaft over soldered connections, because under high vibration the wires are prone to breakage right where they enter the more rigid solder.  Crimped connections tend to withstand more vibration by distributing any deflection over more length of each strand, they're not as strained and fewer of them break.   

Whether this translates to "better for motorcycle connectors" is debatable, because with motorcycles the concern is less with vibration and more with the joint's exposure to the elements. I would guess that joints fully sealed in shrink tube are probably best crimped. This assumes the weatherproofing is perfectly reliable so that exposure to moisture is the same as in an aircraft hull.

And I would also guess that joints that are so fretted over, are going to outlast the rest of the bike, and thus we should go with our favorite, make the connection, and get a life.  Grin

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #19 - 07/17/11 at 19:55:42

Im happy o report Iv had zero failures of either type in so many years I cant remember,, do a good job & fageddabouddit..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #20 - 07/17/11 at 20:58:17

Yeah, I agree, lets get a life !

I got bigger fish to fry,....like a rear tire replace !

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #21 - 07/17/11 at 21:03:47

Routy wrote on 07/17/11 at 20:58:17:

Soooo, you gonna solder it on? err splice it on?

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #22 - 07/18/11 at 03:00:38

If you are letting discussions on crimp vs solder keep you from doing more productive things, then,..... YES,... get a life.

If you just enjoy being here, going round and round with forum friends over various discussionable issues of interest, then, ... YES,.. post away!!!

Ain't life great?!
                              Smiley   Cheesy   Grin   Cool   Roll Eyes   Smiley

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
BobR
YaBB Newbies

Who said retirement
has to be boring??

St. John's, NL
Reply #23 - 07/18/11 at 05:12:23

I think I'll get my retired mechanic buddy to do it LOL. The plan is 2 lights hooked up to the brake light. I assume I just solder the wire to where the brake wire is connected to inside the light if I can. If I have to splice into the wire myself, I think I'll go with crimp, heat shrink and liquid tape.
Routy, now you can replace your rear tire.

1986 Savage 650
1983 Honda V45 Magna (project)
  IP Logged
runrun

Thump thump

Erie, CO
Reply #24 - 07/18/11 at 06:06:25

great alternatives to both solder and crimping are posi-lock connectors.  you can't get an easier tapping method than than a posi-tap.  their only drawback is that they're bulkier than a nice shrink-wrapped crimp or solder joint.

i've had some in use for 5 years and am really happy with them, and  the folks at webbikeworld think highly of them too.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #25 - 07/18/11 at 06:37:38

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/17/11 at 21:03:47:
Routy wrote on 07/17/11 at 20:58:17:

Soooo, you gonna solder it on? err splice it on?

Decisions decisions,.....now I have to give that some thought,......always a curve thrown into everything !
Life is good, yes, but can't it ever be simple ??

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #26 - 07/18/11 at 06:42:59

Put some liquid tape on the tread and you'll get a few extra miles out of that rear tire Smiley

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #27 - 07/18/11 at 08:03:03

Theres another way to go,......thats whats so nice here,.....so many ideas,.....so many ways to go. It can't never simple !

Rich
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #28 - 07/18/11 at 11:19:17

Now gentlemen,

Each of you take your favorite tool in your right hand.   Take the left hand of the person you are disagreeing with and apply your tool to his little finger on his left hand at about the first joint.

The first one to flinch or squeal loses the argument.

=============

Me, I like interlaced or twisted wires, solder it, fold it over and apply two layers of heat shrink tubing well shrunk with a hair dryer.   Winds up just being a little bump in the wire.

Then I take rubberized cloth tape (old school wiring harness covering tape) and extend the wiring harness proper to hide my joints forever.

I also like to lightly crimp on a terminal with a crimper, then I hit the fray end past the crimp with the soldering gun to block off all moisture/air by wicking solder back through the crimp and up the wire a bit.

Grin        Overkill, that's my philosophy ....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #29 - 07/18/11 at 11:28:00

What brand of hair dryer do you use.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4