Please help (Read 174 times)
Raider
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Please help
07/15/11 at 14:18:50

Ok  I have read on here a bunch about makeing my 2000 savage louder
I have friends want me to drill holes in muffler.  I am torn cause some say I will have to do caeb work if I do.   Im kinda broke so buy ing a dyna muffler and having it welded if gona be a while befoe I can do that...but it has a funny wistel and its so low  I really want my bike louder.  

Will drilling holes hurt the bike?

IP Logged
Spiff
2005 No Login

Your favorite band
sucks!

In the Spiff Bunker
Re: Please help
Reply #1 - 07/15/11 at 14:45:33

The loud pipes will hurt your ears and piss your neighbors off.

Don't do it.

"Ridicule is the only weapon that can be used against unintelligible propositions. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them."
WWW   IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #2 - 07/15/11 at 14:55:03

Spiff wrote on 07/15/11 at 14:45:33:
The loud pipes will hurt your ears and piss your neighbors off.

Don't do it.

Spiff knows what he's talkin' about.

« Last Edit: 07/16/11 at 05:11:52 by Gyrobob »  

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
adberns
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 07/15/11 at 15:03:21

Usually any change in the exhaust system (or intake as well) should be followed up with a carb tune/rejet.  One of the great things about this website is that some people have posted their exhaust setups and the jets they've found to work best - this is valuable information!

I too would recommend against drilling into your current exhaust, especially if you aren't ready to mess with any potential tuning that needs done.  I'd say ignore your friends advice and enjoy the fine machine that is the Savage.  To modify an old cliche, it's not how loud you ride, it's that you ride.

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #4 - 07/15/11 at 15:24:46

Raider, You can drill a couple of 1/4" or 3/8" holes in the end plate if you like. Then try four holes, etc. Eventually you will lose low end power to the point you won't like it. Adjusting the carb will help some. You can then fill the holes back up with screws as needed. If you want loud, get a different muffler and be prepared to open up everything else accordingly. BTW I don't like loud dogs, children (inside), mufflers, etc. Good luck.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #5 - 07/15/11 at 20:05:52

Raider, one other comment,..... It would help the rest of us, and it would get more responses to your need for info if you'd use a more descriptive title for your thread.

"please help" doesn't say much.  We all need help, I'll bet.  If you really do want help, you'd probably get more responses from folks who know about your particular issue if you use some verbiage that tickles their fancy.

Might I suggest something like, "Want louder Savage, drill holes?"  
or
"Bike too quiet, what's easiest/cheapest way for loud?"
or
"Friend says drill muffler for more noise"

These are just off the top of my head.     Tongue     You can probably think of something that suits you better.

Anyway, it'll help you, and it'll help us help you if you'll put a little more info in the title of the thread.
    (BTW, it's not too late to improve the title)

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #6 - 07/15/11 at 22:05:51

Looks good, sounds good, a little louder but not loud, and doesn't need no rejet

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
txsizzler
YaBB Newbies

Its a real THUMP in
the pants!

Portland/Corpus Christi, TX.
Reply #7 - 07/15/11 at 22:23:39

Routy wrote on 07/15/11 at 22:05:51:
Looks good, sounds good, a little louder but not loud, and doesn't need no rejet

Curious... typically, at what point would a rejet be necessary? I see several holes drilled, but you say no rejet is needed. Is there really THAT much difference in the sounds over stock? Any thing else suffering, like low end torque, mpg, etc?

Ian

"Life is like a bath; the longer you stay in it, the more wrinkled you get!" -Garfield
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #8 - 07/15/11 at 22:40:57

I didn't notice any difference in performance, lo end or hi end.
Yes it is louder than stock,......to me, its just right,....I don't like loud.
And I don't believe in rejetting just because I did a mod, and someone said I should. I believe in rejetting only if it needs it, and mine didn't need it,......still running a 145 main.

Others here have done this mod,......maybe they will give their idea or opinions.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #9 - 07/16/11 at 08:36:49

TX and Raider, you are asking for a guarantee that we can't give you. Just drill the holes. It is a reversible process. "Loud" is a subjective term. We are running a 40 ci "Half Twin" that will never sound like a Vee.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Raider91606
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 07/16/11 at 15:39:04

Thanks all!   this sounds like what might be for me   i want a lil louder  and not have mess with it...cause i dont know anything about it lol   i just dont like having use my horn when i pull past some one for them to know im there!  my bike is so quit  ..really i can talk soft while ridding and people can hera what i am saying  my wifes MP3 players built in speaker over powers my bike lol

so these holes would not hurt anything

Routy wrote on 07/15/11 at 22:05:51:
Looks good, sounds good, a little louder but not loud, and doesn't need no rejet http://p1.bikepics.com/pics/2010/03/14/bikepics-1926789-full.jpg

IP Logged
Wake51

Murphy's Law

St. Louis
Reply #11 - 07/16/11 at 16:56:18

I did the above mentioned mod with the drilled holes on my stock muffler before i replaced it with a dyna. It's quick, easy, doesn't hurt your bike, doesn't require rejet, and turns up the volume a bit.

The best way to describe it is it doesn't really change the sound a whole lot, just amplifies the volume by a click or two. I noticed no physical performance change either in power or the need to rejet.

It's a great stop gap until you get the funds/time/desire/jets to alter the muffler or exhaust system.

IP Logged
papi_ocho

super stock thumper

Oceanside, CA
Reply #12 - 07/16/11 at 18:20:26

I love the sound of my dyna. It demands attention without being annoying

Wouldn't want anything louder, couldn't keep the sewing machine humm.

If only I had a jet set from somewhere, anywhere to safely mount my NEW uni filter and tune the carb.... IF ONLY!

sarcasm will get me no where  Angry I know!

06 S-40 ss carbbowl screws, ss valve cover bolts, turn signals lightup w/ brake light(removed for trouble shooting)
06 GS500F gstwins.com
06 Hayabusa.org
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 21:14:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Please help

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.