snap-on windshield? (Read 145 times)
J-Snap
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Toronto, Ontario
snap-on windshield?
07/14/11 at 10:46:11

I'm a big fan of the concept of being able to take my windscreen off for city riding, but when I head out on a long freeway run - popping that sucker back on.

I've searched around National Cycle's website but it doesn't look like their "switchblade" lineup has anything designed to fit our beloved Savage.

Has anyone had any luck with a quick on/off solution?

IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Re: snap-on windshield?
Reply #1 - 07/14/11 at 12:17:34

I've got a windshield from National Cycle that has something like Quick-Set hardware.  2 knobs on the handlebar and 2 thumbscrews on the dampers, you can remove it in about 45 seconds, reinstall in a little more time maybe 2 minutes.  It's not as quick and easy as the Switchblade, but very usefull.  Don't know the model name or number right offhand.  And actually I'm not using it currently because I like the smaller one made for the Savage which doesn't remove so easily.

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
scottnj

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

the 'Nati, OH
Reply #2 - 07/14/11 at 13:11:25

I've got a Memphis Shades sportshield with a "quick release" mounting kit made for the s40/savage.  Mounting points attach to the forks, then the windshield attaches to those with four allen screws.  I can install and remove it in about 30 seconds (using an allen wrench).  I ride without it most of the time, but if I'm going on a highway slog or if it looks like rain I put it on.  It came with the bike, so I'm not sure how pricey they are.

2007 S40 (Supertrapp, 6" Ed. L forward controls, K&N, & some other stuff)
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #3 - 07/14/11 at 16:07:53

serenity3743 wrote on 07/14/11 at 12:17:34:
I've got a windshield from National Cycle that has something like Quick-Set hardware.  2 knobs on the handlebar and 2 thumbscrews on the dampers, you can remove it in about 45 seconds, reinstall in a little more time maybe 2 minutes.  It's not as quick and easy as the Switchblade, but very usefull.  Don't know the model name or number right offhand.  And actually I'm not using it currently because I like the smaller one made for the Savage which doesn't remove so easily.

Serenity, That sounds like the Slipstreamer Spitfire I have. The Savage takes the S-06. About $60.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #4 - 07/15/11 at 05:10:27

Boofer wrote on 07/14/11 at 16:07:53:
serenity3743 wrote on 07/14/11 at 12:17:34:

Serenity, That sounds like the Slipstreamer Spitfire I have. The Savage takes the S-06. About $60.

I believe you're right, Boofer!  I forgot to look when I went home yesterday.

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #5 - 07/17/11 at 11:42:36

You can use a late 80s to mid 90 Sportster quick release windshield. Not sure why you would want to pay that much though, you can get the same thing from Rifle, National, Slipstreamer... Look at the selection for Honda VLX600, pretty much the same front end.

Just remember, measure against an example of the other bike before ordering. Specs do change...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Classic650
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NH
Reply #6 - 07/19/11 at 08:41:40

I have the Slip Streamer Spit Fire & it has quick removal features.  I haven't removed it yet.  It's a perfect shield for the little bike.

IP Logged
SuperSavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 07/19/11 at 09:22:06

I bought the spitfire for my S40 and couldn't get a satisfactory fit with the narrow drag bars and risers. Luckily, they are perfect for my Vulcan. It's a decent, lowcost shield. It does tend to shake and vibrate a little due to it's lightweight and attachment location. All in all, not bad for the money.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 02:24:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › snap-on windshield?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.