Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Riding in the 100+ degrees (Read 344 times)
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Re: Riding in the 100+ degrees
Reply #15 - 07/15/11 at 12:53:53

Arnold wrote on 07/14/11 at 08:00:29:
I had a shi77y car with shi77y cooling long ago and whenever I would go under 30mph it would slowly start to overheat, over 30mph it would cool off again. So wind speed has to be an even bigger factor with exposed air cooled engine. Run the Savage idle long enough and it will cease. In hot summer weather I raise the idle a tiny bit.

Why idle faster in hot weather ? Faster is more fire, more fire is hotter,.......it ain't like we got a fan/blower making more wind at higher idle speeds.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
txsizzler
YaBB Newbies

Its a real THUMP in
the pants!

Portland/Corpus Christi, TX.
Reply #16 - 07/15/11 at 14:19:09

I, too live in Texas. Made a trip from Wichita Falls, TX. to near Corpus Christi, TX. in just one day (a hellish trip on thy arse, which I won't repeat again!!). Well over 100 degrees through a large portion of the trip.

Only had one incident I believe of slight overheating on the bike during that trip. After I had been riding around 65 mph for about 45 minutes straight, was climbing a fairly long hill when I felt the bike completely lose power for a few seconds, then it just restarted. I pulled over to the side of the road, and sat for about 15 minutes, and then got going again. No more problems. The bike was viciously hot though when I had pulled over.

Anyhow, today I put my saddlebags on. Moved the rectifier to the toolbox and mounted it in there using wire. My only concern with it being in there is that I have the tool lid cover on, and I am concerned it will get too hot. I had considered just leaving the tool lid off. Any thoughts on this?

Ian (2003 Savage)

"Life is like a bath; the longer you stay in it, the more wrinkled you get!" -Garfield
  IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #17 - 07/15/11 at 15:12:57

txsizzler, I'd be willing to bet your bike got hot & lost power due to fuel starvation from lack of vacuum to the petcock. If it does it again, switch the petcock to the 'prime' position & see if it doesn't pick back up. Cool

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
txsizzler
YaBB Newbies

Its a real THUMP in
the pants!

Portland/Corpus Christi, TX.
Reply #18 - 07/15/11 at 15:50:11

RidgeRunner13 wrote on 07/15/11 at 15:12:57:
txsizzler, I'd be willing to bet your bike got hot & lost power due to fuel starvation from lack of vacuum to the petcock. If it does it again, switch the petcock to the 'prime' position & see if it doesn't pick back up. Cool

Hey neighbor! You are just around the block from me! Anyhow, I will try that next time it happens. I initially thought that I had low gas, and was attempting to switch to the Reserve when the bike came back "alive". I hadn't thought about the vacuum issue with the heat.

Ian

"Life is like a bath; the longer you stay in it, the more wrinkled you get!" -Garfield
  IP Logged
adberns
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 07/15/11 at 18:47:24

My bike is a CB700SC - an inline-4 Honda that is air-cooled.  On one of the forums, a guy was asking about his bike.  He took it out of storage, started it up, and then went to mow lawn.  For about an hour.  Got back and the bike wouldn't start.  Let it sit overnight, and it started again.  Apparently, when that bike overheats, the piston expands and stops spinning.  Once it cools, it moves again.  Or so I heard.

Why do I mention this?  I assume the Savage, like the CB700SC, can take some abuse.  I have heard you will notice rough running before any damage is done.  Would I idle an air-cooled bike for 10+ minutes in any temperature?  No.  Would I ride in any temperature in my air-cooled Honda?  Yes.

My 2 cents, for whatever it's worth.  Mostly worth a funny story.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #20 - 07/16/11 at 09:21:23

I won't believe any engine will seize a piston while idling in any weather.
But I was wrong one other time Shocked

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 21:09:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Riding in the 100+ degrees

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.