Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Checked Cam Chain Tensioner (Read 118 times)
Howitzer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Boston, MA
Checked Cam Chain Tensioner
07/13/11 at 16:04:58

Checked my cam chain tensioner this week, and found it to be out 17.7mm.  I had only 6462 miles on it at the time  Undecided.  It seems low mileage for the tensioner to be out this much already, but I do ride in the city.  Lots of accelerating from stop, and I might rev on the high side.  Anyway, here are some pictures.  It was a good experience taking apart the clutch cover.

This is a shot of my bike.  You can see my skates tucked into the side bags    Cheesy

Closer up of the crankcase (?)

Cam chain tensioner...At least the piston hasn't come far enough that it's crooked.  I just noticed the brown spots in the picture look like rust.  I don't recall seeing any rust though, so the brown might just motor oil.

Measured: 17.70mm

The clutch cover gasket was fully intact, so I didn't have to replace it when I reattached the cover.  However, I sheared off one of the bolts when I was tightening them.  Freaked me out for a bit, thought I'd have a huge pain getting it out.  I was tightening and heard a crack.  Luckily, the entire bolt came out when I reversed and backed it out.  I think I overtorqued the thing, maybe because the bolt was lubricated by motor oil.  Should have wiped it down before tightening.

Questions: Do I need to apply anti-seize to the header bolts at the exhaust header?  Also, do people use a small torque wrench (<10ft-lb)?

Thanks to everyone on this forum that has contributed to the technical knowledge base.  It's been a great help to someone who's new at wrenching and riding.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Checked Cam Chain Tensioner
Reply #1 - 07/13/11 at 17:32:23

yes anti seize to the header bolts
about 20 ft lbs too
i can send you a spare for a $1 to cover postage.

and yeah, that's pretty low miles... a lotta short trips?

WWW   IP Logged
Howitzer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Boston, MA
Reply #2 - 07/13/11 at 18:25:40

Yeah, 2x 2.5mile trips everyday through city traffic.  Occasional joy rides of only 10-20miles.

Thanks for the offer of anti-seize.  Can you PM me your email?

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #3 - 07/13/11 at 19:07:16

Look at the two ring marks on the plunger next to the housing on the 2nd picture from the bottom. Looks like it ratcheted out only two times. That would mean it once started out at around 12mm out. It might me just my imagination.
Nevertheless, I still wonder what the the plunger extension is factory new. There is no way, that is starts out being all the way in, when it leaves the factory.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 07/13/11 at 19:09:56

+1... ralfyguy...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Howitzer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Boston, MA
Reply #5 - 07/13/11 at 19:12:19

ralfyguy wrote on 07/13/11 at 19:07:16:
Look at the two ring marks on the plunger next to the housing on the 2nd picture from the bottom. Looks like it ratcheted out only two times. That would mean it once started out at around 12mm out. It might me just my imagination.
Nevertheless, I still wonder what the the plunger extension is factory new. There is no way, that is starts out being all the way in, when it leaves the factory.

Does that mean I still have time before needing a verslavy?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 07/13/11 at 19:32:29

Howitzer wrote on 07/13/11 at 18:25:40:
Yeah, 2x 2.5mile trips everyday through city traffic.  Occasional joy rides of only 10-20miles.

Thanks for the offer of anti-seize.  Can you PM me your email?  

pm'd you

short trips will do it.  I got a strong suspicion that it's heating cooling cycles, not miles.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 07/13/11 at 19:37:33

ralfyguy wrote on 07/13/11 at 19:07:16:

I bet ya those are like growth rings... winters with too much water in the oil.   Shocked

WWW   IP Logged
Howitzer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Boston, MA
Reply #8 - 07/13/11 at 21:49:04

Quote:
I bet ya those are like growth rings... winters with too much water in the oil.   Shocked

Ya know, the previous owner left this bike outside (bike cover) over two winters.  This is in Boston.  Maybe you're on to something here.  I'll check and see how easy it is to wipe those rings off when I open up the case again.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 08:22:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Checked Cam Chain Tensioner

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.