Re: Oil Change time (Read 142 times)
Byrd0264
YaBB Newbies

Cruisin' ON my
Boulevard

Re: Oil Change time
07/13/11 at 08:25:43

Hey there!

So my bike was idling kind of rough and was puffing out some black smoke when I had the choke pulled trying to warm it up. Seemed to do alright once I got her going but still didn't seem right so I stopped at a gas station.

I had somebody hold the bike up for me while I checked the oil and I was pretty low.

So I have a couple of questions in relation to this....

1. Was the low oil related to the rough slow idle and puffing?

2. I didn't have a manual on me so I guessed at an oil and used 10w30. It seems this is too "light" for bikes from what I'm reading. Will any harm be caused by riding with this oil until I can do an oil change?

3. I didn't have anyone around to help me check after I put the oil in, just put in the whole bottle. But from what I could tell by (carefully) tilting the bike while sitting on the ground, it looked overfilled... is this a big no no?

4. Does the 2008 suzuki tend to burn oil? I checked my oil before my long trip and it was fine, we traveled probably about 1,200 miles since then between the long trip and my few commutes to work since the trip.

Thanks!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #1 - 07/13/11 at 09:53:48

Low oil is probably not related to smoke issue...

It only holds 2qts,... so adding a full quart is likely too much...
10w-30 is pretty thin...
In light  of both of these facts, I recommend that you drain and change the oil...

Extended 75mph + speeds often does cause some oil use...

Change oil, then get back to us about the black smoke issue...
See tech section for instructions on oil change...
Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #2 - 07/13/11 at 18:55:55

Byrd, We have a saying, or I do anyway, that any oil is good oil. Not true, but better than burning up the engine. Be careful of putting oil with the Energy Star stamp. It can cause your clutch to slip. And I agree with Serowbot. ihth

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #3 - 07/14/11 at 05:44:56

Quote:
But from what I could tell by (carefully) tilting the bike while sitting on the ground, it looked overfilled... is this a big no no?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A poll here has shown that there is no ill effects from over filling to the point of barely seeing the oil level in the window when setting on the side stand.

I for one, will NEVER hold my bike vertical while checking the oil. I have proved that is a good way  ruin the looks of a nice bike,.....if not getting hurt at the same time.
I always run the oil level lever between the lines w/ the bike on the side stand. I know several others that do the same w/o ever a problem.
If however you are burning oil, I would think that overfilling would not help that situation Wink

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Howitzer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Boston, MA
Reply #4 - 07/14/11 at 09:05:22

I just pull on the bike with one hand while crouching near the oil level window.  Seems to work fine.  I just eyeball the oil level, knowing that I tend to overfill.  Anyone else do this?

Also, if you just stopped by in a gas station, some of your oil will still be stuck in the cylinder or other inner parts of your engine/transmission.  You will get a low reading because of that.

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #5 - 07/14/11 at 16:23:37

Howitzer, Since I was a little boy my dad taught me to fill up the car before checking the oil. A few minutes is all it takes for the oil to run back into the pan and show a safe reading. And don't hold the dipstick with the sharp end up. Oil runs back to the safe level by the time you get your eyes focused on it.

I can no longer crouch because of my knees, but I don't know why more people don't use the telescoping mirror. Stand against the mc on the right side, kickstand down, bars turned to the extreme left, in 1st gear. Grab the left bar end and pull as you look down at the mirror. The mc balances very quickly. Kickstand won't drop it offside and it touches your leg/thigh on your side. About 5 seconds to get a good visual. When I'm out away from my mirror I sonetimes get on one knee and do a similar check like Howie does.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #6 - 07/14/11 at 17:21:08

I like the sight glass for seeing the oil,I've had a lot of bikes with it.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Sunchasers

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks the Rockies!

Northern Colorado
Reply #7 - 07/14/11 at 20:56:27

Boofer wrote on 07/14/11 at 16:23:37:
I can no longer crouch because of my knees, but I don't know why more people don't use the telescoping mirror.

+1   I keep one handy in my sissy bar bag along with other essentials like tire pressure gauge, mini-mag light, etc.  Check the oil while setting on the bike balanced upright.  Smiley

1987 LS650P, Blue/Purple, stock w/ white spacer mod, 2-1/4 turns, Raptor petcock, seat ht. mod, Verslavy, Routys F.C., 8300 mi
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 16:14:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Re: Oil Change time

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.