Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
RYCA wiring difficulties (Read 304 times)
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
RYCA wiring difficulties
07/13/11 at 05:11:24

We haven't started on the wiring mods yet, but I've seen several comments out there (here, RYCA, Facebook, etc.) about changing around the mods as specified by RYCA, or about having to sort out wiring problems when the bike is all put together.

What suggestions might any of you have about pitfalls, improvements, RYCA misguidance, etc.?

I can do wiring, but I HATE having problems with wiring.  While some may find the challenges entertaining, I don't.  Wiring problems for me are about as entertaining as a visit to the dentist,...

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
zoeman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Oxford, PA
Re: RYCA wiring difficulties
Reply #1 - 07/13/11 at 20:55:58

My issue with the solenoid only clicking and an intermittent neutral light were probably self induced.  I painted the frame, brackets, bolts, etc.  Seems the engine may not have been grounded after the engine was put back in the frame.  Running a grounding strap from the engine to the relocated ground solved my problems with the neutral light and the solenoid (appears the starter wasn't grounded).

IP Logged
runrun

Thump thump

Erie, CO
Reply #2 - 07/15/11 at 02:32:29

gyrobob, you may or may not run into this problem that i had, but here's something to keep in mind.  thanks to papi_ocho for this tip.

once you've made the ryca mods and have everything hooked up, if you start blowing fuses when you turn the ignition key to "on", the problem may be the way that your regulator/rectifier is mounted.  if yours is bolted to the battery box in the standard ryca way, unbolt it.  replace any blown fuses and just hold the r/r in your hand while you try the ignition switch again.

if fuses don't blow, you've identified a problem with the way that the r/r was mounted.  if they are still blowing...good luck, i'm out of ideas.

seems that the r/r is pretty easy to ground accidentally.  in it's stock location on the rear fender there are grommets to keep it isolated from the metal fender.  i'm planning to remount mine on the battery box using super velcro instead of bolts.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #3 - 07/15/11 at 04:54:26

runrun wrote on 07/15/11 at 02:32:29:
gyrobob, you may or may not run into this problem that i had, but here's something to keep in mind.  thanks to papi_ocho for this tip.

once you've made the ryca mods and have everything hooked up, if you start blowing fuses when you turn the ignition key to "on", the problem may be the way that your regulator/rectifier is mounted.  if yours is bolted to the battery box in the standard ryca way, unbolt it.  replace any blown fuses and just hold the r/r in your hand while you try the ignition switch again.

if fuses don't blow, you've identified a problem with the way that the r/r was mounted.  if they are still blowing...good luck, i'm out of ideas.

seems that the r/r is pretty easy to ground accidentally.  in it's stock location on the rear fender there are grommets to keep it isolated from the metal fender.  i'm planning to remount mine on the battery box using super velcro instead of bolts.

Thanks a zillion.  This is exactly the kind of thing I was wanting to know!

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #4 - 07/15/11 at 05:02:00

zoeman wrote on 07/13/11 at 20:55:58:
My issue with the solenoid only clicking and an intermittent neutral light were probably self induced.  I painted the frame, brackets, bolts, etc.  Seems the engine may not have been grounded after the engine was put back in the frame.  Running a grounding strap from the engine to the relocated ground solved my problems with the neutral light and the solenoid (appears the starter wasn't grounded).

Thanks much.  I'll make sure the engine and frame are one,.. electrically speaking.

IP Logged
papi_ocho

super stock thumper

Oceanside, CA
Reply #5 - 07/15/11 at 09:59:13

Lol.. I'm a tipper...

And I love the dentist like I love wiring

06 S-40 ss carbbowl screws, ss valve cover bolts, turn signals lightup w/ brake light(removed for trouble shooting)
06 GS500F gstwins.com
06 Hayabusa.org
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #6 - 08/05/11 at 16:34:22

runrun wrote on 07/15/11 at 02:32:29:

I'm about to install the battery boxes.  There are a lot of wrapped up wires in that area.  How do all those wires get routed in/around/above/below/beside the battery box?

Also, the angled part of the battery box seems too wide to fit in the frame.  Did you have to trim it some so the battery box would slide into place?

Thanks for any help (anyone)

IP Logged
zoeman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Oxford, PA
Reply #7 - 08/05/11 at 18:38:17

Gyrobob - I sent some photos of my wiring to your email address.  My bike didn't require trimming the battery box ... Good luck!

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #8 - 08/05/11 at 20:49:30

zoeman wrote on 08/05/11 at 18:38:17:
Gyrobob - I sent some photos of my wiring to your email address.  My bike didn't require trimming the battery box ... Good luck!

Thanks much for the pics!  That certainly is a tidy job of organizing the wiring.  It appears to be airworthy, even.

Do you have pics of your RYCA build posted somewhere.  A lot of us would get quite a kick out of seeing more of your red-powder-coat frame, black wiring looms, etc.

IP Logged
RpNSht
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 08/06/11 at 00:52:22

zoeman wrote on 08/05/11 at 18:38:17:

hey zoeman what fender did you use for your build? im currently trimming down the stock fender and wondering if you did the same thing. awesome!

IP Logged
zoeman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Oxford, PA
Reply #10 - 08/06/11 at 03:54:11

I did the same thing you are doing ... just trimmed the stock fender.  Also lowered it about 3/8".  Thanks for the compliment!

IP Logged
zoeman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Oxford, PA
Reply #11 - 08/06/11 at 04:58:33

Gyrobob (or anyone else that is interested), just posted all my assembly photos on my Flickr account.  Thanks for the compliment - presume you have an aviation background?   Address is:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zoeman52/

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #12 - 08/06/11 at 05:42:31

zoeman wrote on 08/06/11 at 04:58:33:
Gyrobob (or anyone else that is interested), just posted all my assembly photos on my Flickr account.  Thanks for the compliment - presume you have an aviation background?   Address is:

Wow!  Zowie!  Holy Savages, Batman!  What a collection of pics!  That is one OUTSTANDING CS-1.  Have you sent these pics to RYCA?

Yes, an aviation background.  2 AE degrees, CFI/II/MEI/AGI, A&P, 20 yrs USAF, F-4C/D/E IWSO, mostly retired now, instructor at Delta doing some contract sim instruction for other airlines in their schoolhouse (perfect retired gig!), build and fly gyrocopters.

How do you like Flickr as compared to Photobucket?

IP Logged
sbaugz
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 08/06/11 at 06:34:09

zoeman wrote on 08/06/11 at 04:58:33:

Nice set of build pictures. I actually think the bike looks pretty cool in the mockup pictures with the white primer tank and tail section mounted. The white is a nice contrast with the red frame.  Good job on the finished product. Too bad those pics weren't around when I was hiding my wires for my own build. You did a nice, clean job on tying those up and tucking them away. I am sure others doing this build will appreciate the help they will likely provide.

IP Logged
sbaugz
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 08/06/11 at 06:36:54

zoeman wrote on 08/06/11 at 03:54:11:
I did the same thing you are doing ... just trimmed the stock fender.  Also lowered it about 3/8".  Thanks for the compliment!

Likewise, I did the same thing with my stock fender. Got out the 4 1/2" grinder and hacked it away.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 14:27:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › RYCA wiring difficulties

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.