Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Poll Poll
Question: How do you set your valve tappet clearance?

Snug on .003"
Easy slip on .003"
Snug on .004"
Easy slip on .004"
Snug on .005"
Easy slip on .005"
I set intakes and exhausts differently
I  put a gage in one side, then adjust the other

« Created by: Oldfeller--FSO on: 07/12/11 at 09:32:02 »

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Valve Adjustment Survey: Loose or Tight? (Read 272 times)
adberns
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valve Adjustment Survey: Loose or Tight?
07/12/11 at 08:06:13

Alright, searched the forum and found a decent number of people that go both ways on valve adjustments - some prefer to do 0.003", some go loose at 0.005", and some in the middle at 0.004".  Planning on doing a valve adjustment this weekend, and thought I'd found out everyone's opinion:

1)  What do you adjust your valves to (both intake and exhaust)?

2)  From your experience, have you noticed your valves getting tighter or looser over time (I know they aren't shim adjusted, but some people have said they still get tighter, so just checking).

IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Re: Valve Adjustment Survey: Loose or Tight?
Reply #1 - 07/12/11 at 08:46:48

Maybe they meant they get tighter as the motor warms up. But then they loosen back up when it cools. I can't imagine how they would get tighter over time. Metal on metal, even with oil, is gonna wear parts. Thus, they would become looser over time. That's why you would need to adjust them. Personally, when I have done it, I set mine right where it says. .004

IP Logged
adberns
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 07/12/11 at 09:05:14

Depends on what's wearing.  If the valve is wearing down the valve seat on the head, the valves will actually get tighter.  If the valve stem itself is wearing, then they will get looser, yes.  I have seen both stories about what the Savage does.

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #3 - 07/12/11 at 09:11:00

I adjusted mine about a month ago. .003 is where I set them. I'm a little concerned they may be too tight since I don't hear the familiar tick, tick I'm used to. I'd hate to burn them up so I may go back and try for .004 but then again, I'm lazy too... Roll Eyes

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 07/12/11 at 09:19:14

Look at it from a different point of view. Experienced and hve a fine touch set it to ,003 newbs set it to .005

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 07/12/11 at 09:29:25

The pointy tip on the adjuster isnt real hard,, & on a new engine, will pound down a bit,loosening the valves up,. eventually work hardening,7 needing adjusted less often, Theyre not gonna tighten up. Just not gonna happen, unless an adjustment changes,, & if that happens, it should loosen, not tighten. I no longer have to adjust valves every 5,000 miles,, cuz they dont open up as easily, since the parts have formed themselves & hardened from all the banging, Set them close & listen to them, then pay attention to the sound,, when it gets noisy, go in & play with it.

IDK if after head work & valve adjustment things may settle & change the valves making them tighter,, I just cant think that clearly right now.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #6 - 07/12/11 at 09:32:02

Note in a post any advanced techniques that you use and why you do it

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #7 - 07/12/11 at 09:38:40

Wickers see wear on tappet follower pads and on the face of the adjustment screws themselves, so we tend to adjust tighter to get the adjustment to last longer between adjustments.

Once you get over 10,000 miles, your valve tulips have seated themselves in the head seat pretty much and you aren't going to see a lot of "tighten" as the wear on tappet followers to cams and the wear of the tip of the valve stem to the screw head is going to be greater than the wear of the valve down into the seat.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #8 - 08/13/11 at 20:16:28

According to my archives (my bike is in my signature):

5600 miles, all clearances measured 0.005", no adjustments done.

10,100 miles, all clearances measured 0.008", all four lashes changed to 0.003".

I did a check at 600 miles but did not record those results.

So, on my bike, at least, the valve clearances appear to open up over the miles.

FWIW, I'll be checking the valve clearances again sometime after I get to 14,100 miles (the bike currently has 11,900 miles on it).

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #9 - 08/15/11 at 06:20:59

As mentioned by the Savage-knowledgeable folks above, there are a few things going on that change clearances as the miles roll by.  For example the valve seat and valve face erode a little; decreasing the clearance as the valve moves closer to the adjuster.  Simultaneously, the valve stem and the adjuster rub against each other and wear a little, hopefully canceling out the valve seat/face wear.

The engineers at Suzuki put a LOT of effort into metallurgy, geometry, etc., to balance out that wear.  

It is safer to go a bit loose to make sure the valves are seating all the way.  Tick tick tick.  Some folks say, "a ticky valve is a happy valve."

The primary danger from too little clearance is burned valves from the valve not being able to fully seat.  

I am fairly new to the LS650, but with most motors, the clearance decreases as the motor warms up.  This is from the valves lengthening from thermal expansion.  Being exposed to combustion heat, they get pretty stinkin' hot.  This is why we set clearances in the first place,... to make sure the valves don't lengthen so much that all the clearance goes away, thereby burning a valve in short order if the valve isn't allowed to seat all the way.

One other interesting effect:  Looser clearances fatten and lower the torque curve, because the valve timing is changed. (more torque at lower rpm)  The valve overlap is lessened, the valve duration is lessened, and the valve lift is very slightly lessened.  This effect is not huge, but it is a factor race tuners keep in mind.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 10:32:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Valve Adjustment Survey: Loose or Tight?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.