MaxMayhem
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Waikato, NZ
Front Wheel Bearings
07/10/11 at 21:18:10

Gidday all.

Could someone please give me the low down (pref. with pics) on how to remove and install replacement front wheel bearing?

Any little tips to watch out for while doing it would also be great.

LS650 '2007 - Stock.

The $tealership told me at my last warrant it would need to be replaced before next warrant is due, so I thought I'd best get in now for some info.

Thanks.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Front Wheel Bearings
Reply #1 - 07/10/11 at 21:28:03

Are the wheel bearings cheaper in NZ?
or is the sea air getting to them?

I ask cause I have a '88 and the wheel bearings are fine.  So are the '96s.  And both have over 40k miles.

WWW   IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #2 - 07/11/11 at 01:40:48

I think your dealer is trying to make some easy money off you.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 07/11/11 at 01:54:28

stinger wrote on 07/11/11 at 01:40:48:
I think your dealer is trying to make some easy money off you.

Cha Ching,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #4 - 07/11/11 at 05:06:43

If they need anything at this stage, it would be a good packing with grease.  Remove the front wheel and pack as much bearing grease in the hub as you can.  Putting the front axle back through the hub will push some of the grease out, but plenty stays in.

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #5 - 07/11/11 at 05:25:45

MaxMayhem wrote on 07/10/11 at 21:18:10:
Gidday all.

Could someone please give me the low down (pref. with pics) on how to remove and install replacement front wheel bearing?

Any little tips to watch out for while doing it would also be great.

LS650 '2007 - Stock.

The $tealership told me at my last warrant it would need to be replaced before next warrant is due, so I thought I'd best get in now for some info.

Thanks.

I agree with the responses above.  Make sure your dealer is being truthful.

In five decades of owning/riding dozens of bikes, I have NEVER replaced a front or rear wheel bearing.

As a quick check, elevate the front wheel, and make sure the brake is not dragging.  Do this in a very quiet area.  Give the wheel a spin.  If it is silent, it is okay.  Any ticking or grinding or clicking noises would warrant further investigation, but still wouldn't necessarily require replacement of the bearing.  Also see if you can wiggle the wheel back and forth,... any play at all at the bearing is bad news.

« Last Edit: 07/13/11 at 04:40:42 by Gyrobob »  

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #6 - 07/11/11 at 06:03:13

I guess I am going to put in my opinion.

Like GyroBob says, check it first.  To make sure you eliminate any brake noise, remove the caliper (2 bolts, no big deal).  Listen for noise at the hub, check for play in the bearings.  (somebody holds the fork firmly and you try to wiggle the tire).
Any significant noise or any play means you need to do something.

Unless serenity has a different setup than mine, you can't repack these bearing just by shoving grease in the hub.   There is a spacer inside the hub that keeps you from reaching the ball part of the bearings, even if the bearings don't have seals on the inside.
Take a look at the writing on the rim of the bearing.  If you see 6302 ZZ, then it has shields on both sides.  If it says 6302 2RS then it has seals on both sides.
Once you decide to remove the bearings, you can't repack them anyway as the process of removing the bearings destroys them!

Yes, you can replace them yourself, and you don't need to get the parts from the dealer either.
Go to a local bearing house and get 6302 bearings.  You need to have either sealed or shielded on at least one side.  P/N 6302 Z or ZZ, or RS or 2RS.

To get the old bearing out, have a punch or bolt or something that will reach all the way through the hub.  You need to scooch that spacer off to the side enough to catch the inner race with the punch, then hammer the bearing out.
When that side comes out, so will the spacer, and getting the other side out is a lot easier.

Too put in the new bearings, you will need a socket that is the same size as the outer race of the bearing.  I have one, but can't remember what size it is.  When hammering in the bearing, you only want to be hitting the OUTER race (rim).  If you hit the seal or the inner rim, you just destroyed the bearing.  Put the socket on the bearing outer race, then hit the socket with the hammer.

Put the wheel on a firm but padded surface (carpet).  Put a bearing in place and TAP it to get it started.   Always use that socket, never hit the bearing with the hammer!!  Make sure it is going in straight and started all the way around.  Then you will need to smack it pretty hard to drive it all the way in until it seats.  You will know when, as the sound changes when you hit it.  Flip the wheel over, REMEMBER THE SPACER, and put the other bearing in the same way.  When you are done, the axle should slide easily through both bearings.

Yes, I had a bearing go bad, but it was around 70,000 miles and I also ride in the dirt more than I should.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 07/11/11 at 08:11:22

Nice post Youzguys,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 07/11/11 at 12:19:15

Very nice indeed. I would just add - get 2RS, both sides shielded. Difference in price is cents. And you know you're good for years.

IP Logged
MaxMayhem
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Waikato, NZ
Reply #9 - 07/11/11 at 16:53:03

Thanks guys.

I never take $tealership at face value.

I watched while they did the warrant, and the older mechanic did get the apprentice to hold the forks while he twisted the front wheel, which is the only reason I give them the benefit of the doubt.

They did say to me I could do the job myself, as youzguyz suggests, so I don't think they are trying to rip me off on this one.

I will have a look this weekend myself following your tips and make the call myself.

Thanks again ppl. Smiley

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #10 - 07/11/11 at 20:01:08

Hey down under, under, Be careful to not warp the rotor while removing bearings. And keep your spacers seperated as to order and side. Lay your wheel on some boards to hold it off the ground and tap them out from the back with hammer and brass or hardwood dowel. Tap around slowly moving an inch or so at a time. Good luck.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #11 - 07/12/11 at 01:55:18

MaxMayhem wrote on 07/11/11 at 16:53:03:
I watched while they did the warrant, and the older mechanic did get the apprentice to hold the forks while he twisted the front wheel, which is the only reason I give them the benefit of the doubt.

Sooo.. he felt some play.  When you check it, make sure the play is at the bearing before you suspect the bearing.  Pull the front tire.  Put your finger in the bearing and see if it "wiggles".  You shouldn't feel any wiggle at all.  Check both sides to see if they feel the same.  If one is bad, you will notice it for sure!  If you don't feel any wiggle or any difference between the sides, remount the wheel, tighten everything up, and see where that play is coming from.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #12 - 07/13/11 at 04:44:52

One other trick for analyzing difficult mechanical situations,.. trying to listen for faulty wheel bearings:  If you can't do this in a silent place (your apartment overlooks I-85?), try using a "poor mechanic's stethoscope,"... touch the point of a screwdriver on the axle while the wheel is spinning, place your ear on the end of the screwdriver handle, and plug your other ear with a finger not being used to hold the screwdriver.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 22:16:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Front Wheel Bearings

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.