Carb (Read 284 times)
village idiot
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Owensville Mo.
Carb
07/10/11 at 09:56:11

I have an 86 Savage that I had to replace the air box and cleaner and rebuild the carb. I start the adjust ment at 1 1/2 turns out. I go in 1/4 turn increments and cannot find the right adjustment. It idles ok and even runs ok at very low rpm. No matter what I do, I can't get it to run correctly. Any ideas? I'm about ready to sell this thing.

IP Logged
jdeluca

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

South of Boston, MA
Re: Carb
Reply #1 - 07/10/11 at 10:02:04

Define the following:

Quote:
No matter what I do, I can't get it to run correctly

How is it not running correctly?

delucaja   IP Logged
village idiot
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Owensville Mo.
Reply #2 - 07/10/11 at 10:05:26

I have turned the adjustment screw all the way in then backed out 1/4 turn at a time. When I road test, it spits and sputters upon acceleration. Each adjustment changes a little, but I cannot get the thing to accelerate smoothly.

IP Logged
jdeluca

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

South of Boston, MA
Reply #3 - 07/10/11 at 10:28:14

Clogged passage in your carb somewhere....double check your needle valve.  I'd try putting a couple ounces (NOT a whole bottle) in a tank of gas and try running it at an idle for a few minutes and then giving it a slow acceleration in neutral just to get the seafoam moving.  Alternatively, pull the carb off again and boil it after stripping it down to just metal parts...boil in water with some lemon juice.  Will get the carb sparkling inside and out!

delucaja   IP Logged
jdeluca

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

South of Boston, MA
Reply #4 - 07/10/11 at 10:28:45

As an addendum, that screw won't affect acceleration, it's an idle mixture screw...

delucaja   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 07/10/11 at 10:29:13

Then maybe it ain't the idle adjustment... the idle is doing very little when you're accelerating...

What jets do you have?... What mods?...
What elevation are you?... Have you tested your petcock?...
Sounds like you may need a smaller pilot jet...

PS ... don't set your idle speed too low,... you'll cook your cam bearings...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 07/10/11 at 11:09:34

village idiot wrote on 07/10/11 at 09:56:11:
I have an 86 Savage that I had to replace the air box and cleaner and rebuild the carb. I start the adjust ment at 1 1/2 turns out. I go in 1/4 turn increments and cannot find the right adjustment. It idles ok and even runs ok at very low rpm.

Up until this point, I think you're ok, but being able to turn the idle mixture screw in all the way either says you have too large of a idle jet or your idle speed is too high.
Quote:
No matter what I do, I can't get it to run correctly. Any ideas? I'm about ready to sell this thing.
now you've lost me.

Quote:
I have turned the adjustment screw all the way in then backed out 1/4 turn at a time.

a little too rough of an adjustment for fine tuning use 1/8 turns

Quote:
When I road test, it spits and sputters upon acceleration. Each adjustment changes a little, but I cannot get the thing to accelerate smoothly.
accel would be the white spacer mod, but tell me about the air box, what was there before and what's there now?

WWW   IP Logged
village idiot
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Owensville Mo.
Reply #7 - 07/10/11 at 14:24:33

I removed the white spacer and installed 2 washers about 1/2 as thick. The airbox when I bought it was an automotive radiator hose with a K&N type filter attached. I replaced with an OEM airbox and filter. It supposedly had been jetted so I rebuilt the carb with an oem kit. I can get the jet #s if needed. So if I am reading this correctly, I have been chasing my tail and may need to replace the white spacer. agressively clean the carb body and possibly replace some jets...again. Also, I'm at roughly 1000 feet elevation. Can anyone tell me what jets I need? I can compare to what I was sent in the kit.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #8 - 07/10/11 at 15:51:23

village idiot wrote on 07/10/11 at 14:24:33:
I removed the white spacer and installed 2 washers about 1/2 as thick. The airbox when I bought it was an automotive radiator hose with a K&N type filter attached. I replaced with an OEM airbox and filter. It supposedly had been jetted so I rebuilt the carb with an oem kit. I can get the jet #s if needed. So if I am reading this correctly, I have been chasing my tail and may need to replace the white spacer. agressively clean the carb body and possibly replace some jets...again. Also, I'm at roughly 1000 feet elevation. Can anyone tell me what jets I need? I can compare to what I was sent in the kit.

Have you verified the transient enrichment valve is working properly?

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 07/10/11 at 16:00:51

village idiot wrote on 07/10/11 at 14:24:33:

If you have the stock muffler, a 150 would be a good starting point and a stock pilot jet for your year is a 47.5

You got a OEM kit?  don't know that they made one.

WWW   IP Logged
village idiot
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Owensville Mo.
Reply #10 - 07/10/11 at 16:32:29

First off, I want to thank everyone helping out here. You don't know how much that means. Now, I mis-spoak. I should have said an OEM spec kit. It's a keyster brand carb kit.came with #130 main jet and #47.5 pilot jet. Can the needle jet cause my problem? The new one we had to all but press it in. the old one slides in with minimal pressure. Should I just use the old one? Also, how do you test the Transient enrichment valve.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 07/10/11 at 16:45:50

I think the keyster kit's use mikuni sizes, so 130 is way too small, unless you're in europe.   Cool

I'd use the old needle jet.

haven't got a clue.  (gyrobob you're up, the world awaits your answer)

WWW   IP Logged
village idiot
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Owensville Mo.
Reply #12 - 07/10/11 at 16:57:10

I will give all this advice a try and hopefully all will turn out great. Thanks so much.

IP Logged
jdeluca

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

South of Boston, MA
Reply #13 - 07/10/11 at 19:45:03

The needle jet should have a number stamped on the side of it.  Stock main jet is much much bigger than a 130...
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1098869040
That link above is to the stock specs for the Mikuni carbs, the stock carbs on our Thumpers.
The TEV (Transient Enrichment Valve) is the little cover on the side held on with 3 tough screws to get out if they haven't been removed yet.  There's a spring and a rubber diaphragm in there, that spring likes to escape when pulling the cover off, so use caution... Smiley
Pull that cover off and verify that it's clean and there's no tears in the diaphragm.  But after hearing you have a 130 Main Jet, I bet that if you go up to a 145 or a 150 you'll notice an appreciable difference...

delucaja   IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #14 - 07/10/11 at 21:15:59

I can't believe all the carbs that are cleaned here, that never solves the problem.

Does anyone ever use compressed air to blow out a carb when cleaning it ? I never see it mentioned. If you are attempting to clean
a carb w/o access to compressed air, its like.....peeing upwind ! It will come back and get you !

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 10:15:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Carb

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.