Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
waving the white flag o' Surrender!!! (Read 364 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: waving the white flag o' Surrender!!!
Reply #15 - 07/09/11 at 23:50:37

Sounds like  nicely done kludge job, Run..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #16 - 07/10/11 at 03:13:30

OK, perk up all you mercantile minded people.

Lancer, Verslagen, Routy

You need to get a local exhaust shop to build up some 7 degree adaptors and sell the silly things along with an extra pipe clamp and a long heat shield as a kit.

=====================

I built up my header to fit the muffler with wound stainless wire and the ungrateful thing wouldn't line up with anything right as it was too tight in the 7 degree bend portion.

I haven't had occasion to take it off since then, but when the wound wire come off (and it it already loose although it was epoxied in place) I will consider the waffled soup can bushing as my next trick, reserving welding for dead last as Dyna mufflers can fail internally and you should be able to replace them as needed.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #17 - 07/10/11 at 05:14:58

verslagen1 wrote on 07/09/11 at 17:12:53:
Have you tried welding it?

This is the only real solution.  No leaks.  No continual maintenance.

The only downside is that you have to remove the whole exhaust system when you want to get at something obstructed by the exhaust system.  Ain't no thang with a Savage, though,... everything is so simple and out in the open, can have the whole thing off in fifteen minutes.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #18 - 07/10/11 at 06:01:20

Dam, that JB Weld is some awesome stuff, isn't it?

IP Logged
jdeluca

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

South of Boston, MA
Reply #19 - 07/10/11 at 06:40:31

Geesh, this whole thread makes me feel better.
I've been fooling with this thing for 2 weeks now, I thought I had my muffler clamped on good and tight, I used some sheet metal shim material from work to make a crush seal and actually put one piece between muffler and header and another piece around the whole shebang between the muffler and the clamp...was avoiding welding it, but woke up this morning and that was all I could think about was walding the darn thing together.  I knew it was wrong to do, but since I've put that exhaust on I've gone from a 47.5 pilot to a 60 and a 145 main to a 157.5...and even though the bike is running good (tremendous power increase...or so it feels anyways) I get the kerpow's on a decel and I know that I have to seal that joint and then rejet to get it back to normal....
Anyways, glad to see it's not my incompetence getting in the way of that exhaust fitting together right!

delucaja   IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #20 - 07/10/11 at 09:59:14

jdeluca wrote on 07/10/11 at 06:40:31:
Anyways, glad to see it's not my incompetence getting in the way of that exhaust fitting together right!

Or if it is - at least you're not the only incompetent one around here!  Grin
Welcome to the club!

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
jdeluca

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

South of Boston, MA
Reply #21 - 07/10/11 at 10:03:33

I'm feeling much better now, Wifey is working so I pulled the exhaust off and welded it all together...Just getting ready to take it for a ride now, but it didn't KERPOW after some pretty heavy rev's...Now the big question....Am I WAY too rich now?  HAHAHA

delucaja   IP Logged
oldskool
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Oregon
Reply #22 - 07/10/11 at 12:53:39

I'm new here and maybe this won't do any good, but there's an asbestos like rope that goes around the doors of wood stoves to seal them.  Stays pliable, comes in a different of sizes and can be flattened out pretty thin.

http://www.gascoals.net/Accessories/RutlandHeatSafe/WoodStoveDoorGasket/tabid...

FWIW

Steve

Steve
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #23 - 07/10/11 at 14:05:37

I dont understand why people seem to be overlooking Drums suggestion, using steel wool loaded with JB weld. I havent tried it, but it sounds reasonable & he ha done it & it works,, unless hes just a blasted LIAR. & Im not believin that..
Sounds quick, cheap & easy AND reversible,,  worth a try,, & If it doesnt work, ya get yer $$$ back,, all Zero $$$s & ZERO Cents of it.. minus freight,, youll owe 3 bucks,, but hey,, its worth it, right?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
TheSnakeLady

Thumpers Rule!!!

Central New York
Reply #24 - 07/10/11 at 14:54:59

cornfuzed wrote on 07/09/11 at 17:31:13:
Snakelady, what exhaust gasket you squakin about from suzuki? Is it the stock gasket for the stock exhaust? maybe thats what im missin? is the jardine TINNEY sounding or a rumble sound? I like RUMBLE and when im on the freeway i like to make ol purple haired ladys pee their shorty shorts when i go by... Im tired of them not looking ... Like they barely can see over the steering wheel!! @#$!$#!$! dammiet!! when they !#!@#!%$$! come into my !#!#!R$%$!@#!@#! arrrugh lane!!! dammet!

i think i need another cold one...

Yes, the stock gasket.  However, the harley mufflers tend to be a tighter fit so you probably won't be able to use it.  It does fit (tightly) with the jardine tho.  I'm thinking it's the jardine that your looking for, it's got quite a roar!  It doesn't seem to be tinney to me, tho you could ask Z what she thinks.  I'll post a vid of the jardine sound but I can't seem to capture the depth of the sound on video.

Hope this helps!  Wink

My ride is a 2005 LS650, customized with ISO grips, cone air filter, stage 1 jets, Jardine exhaust, solo seat, AM turn sigs, and a catseye tail light. Next year, custom paint job (hopefully)!
  IP Logged
SoE

Rollin' the dice on
fire...

East TN
Reply #25 - 07/11/11 at 18:26:59

Welded mine tonight. Glad to be done with it.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #26 - 07/12/11 at 05:35:03

True, I haven't done a Dana conversion, but I've read enough about it to make me ill ! When I made the statement a year ago (to help a nubie) about how the conv was NOT a direct fit, I had about 5 guys climb all over me about how it WAS a "direct fit",........about how I had a big mouth for someone that had never done it ! Well, after reading this thread,......and a zillion others,.....common sense people can decide for themselves ! Enough said !!!!
If and when I do do the conversion, (probably won't,....because I like my "drilled stocker") I think I would start w/ getting a short pc of the right size pipe to fit the ID of the muffler,......does that make sense ?
Then I would weld that onto the end of the header pipe,.....at the proper length, and at the proper angle. Now,.......we may be talking very close to it being a "direct fit"
But wait a minute,.....something must be wrong w/ that picture,....because NOTHING is that simple on "THE SAVAGE FORUM" Grin

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #27 - 07/12/11 at 05:44:57

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/10/11 at 14:05:37:
I dont understand why people seem to be overlooking Drums suggestion, using steel wool loaded with JB weld. I havent tried it, but it sounds reasonable & he ha done it & it works,, unless hes just a blasted LIAR. & Im not believin that..
Sounds quick, cheap & easy AND reversible,,  worth a try,, & If it doesnt work, ya get yer $$$ back,, all Zero $$$s & ZERO Cents of it.. minus freight,, youll owe 3 bucks,, but hey,, its worth it, right?

JB weld doesn't handle temps over about 150 degrees very well.

IP Logged
jdeluca

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

South of Boston, MA
Reply #28 - 07/12/11 at 08:58:01

Per their website, http://jbweld.net/products/jbweld.php, JBWeld is heat resistant up to 500 degrees F......AND they do say on that same page that JBWeld is not recommended for this application:  
Quote:
Not recommended for use on manifolds, exhaust systems, and other engine components which normally operate at temperatures above 500° F.

delucaja   IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #29 - 07/15/11 at 08:19:12

jdeluca wrote on 07/12/11 at 08:58:01:
Per their website, http://jbweld.net/products/jbweld.php, JBWeld is heat resistant up to 500 degrees F......AND they do say on that same page that JBWeld is not recommended for this application:  
Quote:
Not recommended for use on manifolds, exhaust systems, and other engine components which normally operate at temperatures above 500° F.

Note they say heat "resistant" not heatproof.  Anything is heat resistant.  I'm heat resistant.  JBweld is just epoxy, and not a high heat epoxy.

There are some high heat adhesives available, some of them are epoxies.  http://www.cotronics.com/vo/cotr/ea_ultratemp.htm , for example.  Most of those are priced preciously.

I still doubt, though, that any epoxies exist that will hold on exhaust pipes on bikes like ours.  I would guestimate that on an S40 going uphill at 75mph on a hot day (IOW, sustained full throttle), the joint at the exhaust header and the muffler would reach several hundred degrees.  If you did this at night, you'd see several inches of the exhaust header close to the cylinder head glowing.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 08:13:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › waving the white flag o' Surrender!!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.