Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Painting engine (pics) (Read 577 times)
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Painting engine (pics)
07/08/11 at 16:44:41

So I am in the middle of a long drawn out rebuild and painting the engine is one of the project goals. i want to paint the entire engine black except the side covers which will stay polished aluminum. The engine is out of the frame and I am planning on sand blasting the whole thing to prep it for paint, should I sand everything as well? Do I need to completely disassemble the engine to prep and paint it? I hope not. What types of paint do y'all recomend? any tips or recomendations for the process.

I am also planning on doing the head plug fix and adding a verslavy to her while she is out of the frame.

here is a long before pic just for fun.

« Last Edit: 08/27/11 at 14:51:46 by splash07 »  

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Painting engine
Reply #1 - 07/08/11 at 17:12:14

I used "dull black" engine paint from the auto parts store (rattle can) on my cylinder...
It's held up pretty well for several years...
You can also use BBQ grill paint, but I wanted just a bit of gloss... Dull black looks kinda' like the stock black,... just barely any gloss...

If I sandblasted,.. I wouldn't bother with sanding afterward... I didn't sand at all, and it's held fairly well, except for a couple of tiny spots, that probably had grunge I didn't get off...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #2 - 07/08/11 at 18:01:55

No need to sand if you've blasted, unless you want a smoother surface.

What I did with mine -- and it's yet to be seen whether it will hold up -- was clean the engine with engine cleaner (duh) and a few other solvents on some tough spots. I did a test spot on the back of the crankcase to see how my paint would react with the existing paint. There was no bubbling or wrinkling, nothing rubbed off -- generally it seemed to be doing fine. So I sprayed the rest of the crankcase.

I already had cleaned the hell out of the cylinder head, including aircraft stripper. So I shot it with high temp engine primer, then silver high temp engine paint, then my color.

I had Bore-Tech blast and paint the cylinder black when they did the bore job. Their black was too glossy, so I shot some semi-flat high temp engine paint over it. Now the cylinder looks like old school iron cylinders.

We'll see what happens.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
sillydilly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 07/12/11 at 00:25:12

I used high temp BBQ paint on the cylinder, and high temp gloss black + clear on the head.

looks good, but Im gunna redo in powder.

IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #4 - 07/12/11 at 06:32:17

Any reason your redoing in powder?

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #5 - 07/12/11 at 06:43:34

Splash, a good paint job requires prep time, which is my least favorite part. A lot of folks do great painting with rattle can, but after all that prep I would buy a good brand to use. The best thing I ever did was buy one of those plastic clip on deals to hold the can and push the spray button. Less finger cramping and smoother swipes. Also proper masking can let you paint nearly anywhere without taking things apart.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
CalisOsin

Rather die, than
live down on my
knees.

Orange County, Ca
Reply #6 - 07/12/11 at 08:13:31

A question for the do-it-yourself-ers: When you paint the jug, how do you get the edge of the fins back down to bare metal? I love that look but don't want to screw up my paint job trying to achieve it. I just got a media blaster for prep and was planning on using some BBQ high temp paint, can I just take a sander to the edges of the fins once it sets up?

'97, k&n airfilter, bcb pipe, custom leather seat, monoshock, custom bars
  IP Logged
sillydilly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 07/12/11 at 09:25:47

splash07 wrote on 07/12/11 at 06:32:17:
Any reason your redoing in powder?

Durability, and I have my own gun now.

You can see where Ive been mounting/dismounting exhaust in the front, I chipped away some paint.

Yes, you sand fins after paint

IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #8 - 07/12/11 at 15:23:51

Thanks for all the advice evereyone. I will be starting soon once I have fixed a few internals like valve seats, head plug, and verslavy install.  Smiley

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #9 - 07/12/11 at 15:39:36

Having worked at a body shop, I recommend 240 grit or higher on a paint stick. Just wrap it around good and flat and use a flat filing motion with only light pressure for the fins you can get to.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
CalisOsin

Rather die, than
live down on my
knees.

Orange County, Ca
Reply #10 - 07/13/11 at 07:47:58

Boofer wrote on 07/12/11 at 15:39:36:
Having worked at a body shop, I recommend 240 grit or higher on a paint stick. Just wrap it around good and flat and use a flat filing motion with only light pressure for the fins you can get to.

Thanks!

IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #11 - 07/19/11 at 10:53:15

So no one around me rents sandblasters so I had to bite the bullit and buy one. I ordered the one below yesterday and hope that it ups to the task. Has anyone used this model before or have any experience with it?

http://www.harborfreight.com/portable-abrasive-blaster-kit-37025.html

It came this morning...YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAyYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cheesy Cheesy

It's CHRISTMAS!!!!!!
Results coming soon:

« Last Edit: 07/22/11 at 10:07:06 by splash07 »  

IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #12 - 07/26/11 at 12:40:58

I have not done the savage engine yet but here is a test pre-project.

Before

After

and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJ_1D8NgBrc

I used play sand straight from the bag on the first few runs, but it kept getting clogged so I had to strain it and mix it with baking soda. After that it was good to go.

What was clogging up the blaster:

IP Logged
CalisOsin

Rather die, than
live down on my
knees.

Orange County, Ca
Reply #13 - 07/26/11 at 13:54:13

Looks good to me. After your test run, how do you think it will go on the savage?

IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #14 - 07/26/11 at 13:56:12

I think It is going to take a lot of sand and a lot of time. the worst part of the process is that you get sand everywhere. I am contemplating building some sort of blasting cabinet.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 02:32:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Painting engine (pics)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.