Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Worse situtation you have gotten into.. (Read 209 times)
PR_Chicano
YaBB Newbies

So whats nu?...
"Lambda over
c"

Chicago
Worse situtation you have gotten into..
07/08/11 at 14:22:27

What is the worst situation that you have gotten into on your bike(stranded, without gas and broke, etc..)?  What did you do about it? Undecided

IP Logged
MagickNinja

Dont sweat the petty
things, Pet the
sweaty things

Boise, ID
Re: Worse situtation you have gotten into..
Reply #1 - 07/08/11 at 15:57:22

Well, one time comes to mind and it's not like you described but it was a BAD situation.

I use to have a Suzuki GSF400. Watercooled inline 4, 6 speed, speedo went to 180mph. Tach redline started at 18,000rpm and ended at 20,000rpm. It had a 4 into 1 header with a DnD muffler, Stage 1 jets and Pirelli Demon Sport tires. For being a 400, this bike was FAST. After the exhaust it was rated around 67hp and could do the 1/4 mile in around 10-11secs according to the service manual.

I used to live in Ohio. I was driving down Dresden Ave doing about 45. I was approaching a bend and I knew the speed changed to 55 right after this bend so I opened her up to hit the bend hard.

As I leaned into the start of the bend I saw a small pile of gravel had accumulated in the center of the road. There was a side street turn out right there and it was a gravel road, I guess from traffic it slowly caused a small pile in the middle of the main road.

It all happened in like 2 seconds. I saw it but it was too late to do anything and I remembered my dad telling me in those situations to just hang on and push through. Suddenly braking, dropping throttle or trying to change directions that quickly will almost always result in a crash.

I hit the gravel and my rear end slide out to the right, caught traction, fish tailed and was back to normal all in a quick moment. I just remember my hands and head staying straight but my body sliding, then a sudden wobble and then everything was fine so quickly it was like it never happened.

I ain't gonna be macho and sit here and tell you I cruised on down the road like it was nothing. I pulled over, checked my pants, thanked God to be alive and waited for my heart rate and breathing to stabalize. It was one of the scariest 2 seconds I've ever experienced and I've never went flying into a corner ever since, even if I think I know the road well.

IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #2 - 07/08/11 at 15:59:59

Just recently, when I ran over the melon-sized rock, and bashed a hole in the bottom of the motor casing, and dented the frame in. I was unaware of the extent of the damage, so I kept riding. When I got home, I looked underneath and WHOA !!! So I cleaned it all up and got out the JB Weld and went to town. I have sealed up the hole--no leaks yet, but the frame is still bent in and now I'm beginning to wonder if things got out of whack inside. It makes noises now that it didn't make before. Whining whenever giving it throttle, especially in 3rd and 4th gear. And almost sounds like a knocking in the lower end. Oh, and I think I screwed up my brand new front tire too. Not to mention, I'm afraid to go anywhere out of town now. So much for any road trips this year.

Angry

IP Logged
MagickNinja

Dont sweat the petty
things, Pet the
sweaty things

Boise, ID
Reply #3 - 07/08/11 at 16:08:07

drums1 wrote on 07/08/11 at 15:59:59:
Just recently, when I ran over the melon-sized rock, and bashed a hole in the bottom of the motor casing, and dented the frame in. I was unaware of the extent of the damage, so I kept riding. When I got home, I looked underneath and WHOA !!! So I cleaned it all up and got out the JB Weld and went to town. I have sealed up the hole--no leaks yet, but the frame is still bent in and now I'm beginning to wonder if things got out of whack inside. It makes noises now that it didn't make before. Whining whenever giving it throttle, especially in 3rd and 4th gear. And almost sounds like a knocking in the lower end. Oh, and I think I screwed up my brand new front tire too. Not to mention, I'm afraid to go anywhere out of town now. So much for any road trips this year.

Angry

I worry about that here. In Idaho it seems every highway outside of town cuts through the mountains. Coming around a corner in the truck it's not uncommon to see softball size rocks in the road that fell off the mountain. It's even worse the further away from civilization you go.

Highway 55 runs from Boise, through Horsehoe Bend, Garden Valley and then a long twisty ride to Lowman, a population of like 200 town. I never go passed Garden Valley. Even though the road from there to Lowman would be an amazing ride, there is ALWAYS rocks in the road.

Just not safe enough so I don't go there.

IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #4 - 07/08/11 at 16:14:13

Ya, mine was a random, honeydew melon-sized rock from some construction dumptruck--overloaded, of course. Otherwise, our roads here are usually pretty clean.

IP Logged
MagickNinja

Dont sweat the petty
things, Pet the
sweaty things

Boise, ID
Reply #5 - 07/08/11 at 16:21:53

drums1 wrote on 07/08/11 at 16:14:13:
Ya, mine was a random, honeydew melon-sized rock from some construction dumptruck--overloaded, of course. Otherwise, our roads here are usually pretty clean.

They keep chip n sealing our roads! It's driving me nuts! Main highways and city roads. Right now if you go into Boise and jump on State St, which is one of the main roads through town, the speed limit is down to 45 and the roads are covered with gravel. The windshield in my Dodge is pissed!

And they just have a sign saying "Motorcycle Use Caution" and "Avoid Windshield Damage"....How the hell am I suppose to use caution?! I'm being pelted with rocks! If I slow down I get passed by everyone, more rocks! How the hell do you avoid windshield damage? Gravel is flying EVERYWHERE.

The speed drop from 55 to 45 is a joke, people drive 50 anyway. They should've made it like 25 or maybe 35 at most. Or if you ask me, they shouldn't be doing it at all!!!!

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #6 - 07/08/11 at 16:39:36

Ran completely out of gas in the country. Fortunately there was a farmer cutting his grass and he gave me a gallon of gas to get me to a gas station.
Since then I have joined CAA and carry a cell phone. Grin

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
MagickNinja

Dont sweat the petty
things, Pet the
sweaty things

Boise, ID
Reply #7 - 07/08/11 at 18:01:05

arteacher wrote on 07/08/11 at 16:39:36:
Ran completely out of gas in the country. Fortunately there was a farmer cutting his grass and he gave me a gallon of gas to get me to a gas station.
Since then I have joined CAA and carry a cell phone. Grin

ha..hahahahahaha just you try and use that cell phone up here. Your better off walking and sticking out your thumb!  Grin

There is a lot of farms and even Firebird Raceway so you'd probably have no trouble getting some help but between the town I live in and Boise my cell phone is nothing but an expensive clock.

IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #8 - 07/08/11 at 18:36:25

Rode my Savage from Portland OR to Illinois. Was heading further east to tour some civil war battlefields. I was sitting in a small rest area with another biker touring also, waiting out a crappy rain storm under a covered picnic area. We were the only ones there and then this old primered car pulled in sideways so we could not read their plates. I knew we were in for it when these 3 guys wearing no shirts and tatoos all over them got out and approached us. Make a long story short we were robbed. I lost my coat, helmet, camera wallet with $400 in cash and my credit cards. I lost a tooth and had a eye swollen shut. The other rider went to the hospital. I declined. While sitting there on the picnic bench I was stung in the adams apple by a bee!  The police gave me a coat and a old crappy helmet with no visor. I had to ride home with a closed left eye, a swollen neck and every time I opened my mouth  the air passing over my broken tooth would make me scream!  Not much worse of a story than like 3 days later I ran out of gas in the middle of the Badlands in South Dakota on a 100 degree day at 5pm on a Sunday evening. Another story for later.

IP Logged
MagickNinja

Dont sweat the petty
things, Pet the
sweaty things

Boise, ID
Reply #9 - 07/08/11 at 19:31:26

stinger wrote on 07/08/11 at 18:36:25:
Rode my Savage from Portland OR to Illinois. Was heading further east to tour some civil war battlefields. I was sitting in a small rest area with another biker touring also, waiting out a crappy rain storm under a covered picnic area. We were the only ones there and then this old primered car pulled in sideways so we could not read their plates. I knew we were in for it when these 3 guys wearing no shirts and tatoos all over them got out and approached us. Make a long story short we were robbed. I lost my coat, helmet, camera wallet with $400 in cash and my credit cards. I lost a tooth and had a eye swollen shut. The other rider went to the hospital. I declined. While sitting there on the picnic bench I was stung in the adams apple by a bee!  The police gave me a coat and a old crappy helmet with no visor. I had to ride home with a closed left eye, a swollen neck and every time I opened my mouth  the air passing over my broken tooth would make me scream!  Not much worse of a story than like 3 days later I ran out of gas in the middle of the Badlands in South Dakota on a 100 degree day at 5pm on a Sunday evening. Another story for later.

Ouch! That's hardcore man. Long trips are dangerous, lone bikers make easy targets simply because your usually in an unfamiliar place and if your plates are from a state far away you can bet he's got cash and lots of it.

Carry a gun. Legally of course but it could mean the difference between a story on a forum or a 8 minute bit on Unsolved Mysteries. Get training and know what to expect. You could even go with a tazer or mace but, I think those 3 guys would've been more intimidated by a 9mm than a can of pepper spray. As always just my opinion. I never travel across country without a pistol.

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #10 - 07/08/11 at 19:34:52

I got rear-ended. It was on a 4-lane street, on the way home from work. The light ahead turned yellow, and judging my speed and distance, I figured I should stop. Unfortunately, the driver behind me figured she could beat the red.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #11 - 07/08/11 at 23:48:37

Okay,...  ridin' dirt bike, back when I was about 16... miles out from anywhere...

I got a little loose, my foot slipped of the peg and my left pant leg got caught in the chain, so I put my right foot out to stop, but the bike washed out and fell on me...
So,... I'm laying on the ground with my right leg pinned under the bike, and left left leg still caught in the chain...
Mufflers are hot!... Huh...

... once I managed to get the bike off my leg and get it upright, I still couldn't get my pants out of the chain, so I tried to to dismount... swinging my right leg over, but with the left one trapped, the bike fell again... this time on it's left side, pinning both my legs under it... and me facing backwards....
Well,...this struggle went on for a while... and I finally got the bike up enough to cut the bottom of my pant leg off with my pen knife...

... and you though I was gonna' take my pants off... didn't you?... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #12 - 07/09/11 at 05:37:52

When I was 16 and rebuilding my '37 Enfield in the basement I was sitting on the floor with my legs under it working on the clutch when it fell over on me, pinning me to the floor. Gas ran out of the tank, so I was laying in a puddle of it. My parents were out, and when they came home I started to holler for help. My mother came down the stairs, under which was me, with a lit smoke in her hand, and the ash about to fall off. I told her my situation, fairly loudly, and she went back upstairs to get my dad, who lifted the bike off me.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #13 - 07/09/11 at 06:12:50

Remember Phelonius' story about getting attacked by a bear  while he was riding his dual sport?  

Darn I miss Phelonius!

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #14 - 07/09/11 at 15:02:19

runwyrlph wrote on 07/09/11 at 06:12:50:
Remember Phelonius' story about getting attacked by a bear  while he was riding his dual sport?  

Darn I miss Phelonius!

Prolly why he moved to Hawaii...  No bears!... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 08:31:05

General CategoryThe Cafe › Worse situtation you have gotten into..

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.