Send Topic Print
Fuse shorted out! (Read 113 times)
drulg
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fuse shorted out!
07/08/11 at 07:22:27

Here's the background of the issue, yesterday I removed my OEM rear fender and replace it with a front fender out of a Yamaha Stratoliner, after cutting and drilling I made it work, I re-bolted the rectifier on the fender and used double sided tape for the starter relay and stick it to the fender also, installed a side mount lisence plate/tail light, everything was fine, I took off for a ride and the bike was perfect until suddenly stopped, I thought it was out of gas but them I saw that there was no electric power on the bike, I checked all connections and everything was plugged, tracing wires and stuff I found out the relay fuse was shierted out, I ahd a spare in tool box and as soon as I tried to put it in it shorted out too, does anybody have any idea what can be causing this?, I dont understand why the bike was running fine after the mods but then it lost the power cause the fuse is making a short

IP Logged
papi_ocho

super stock thumper

Oceanside, CA
Re: Fuse shorted out!
Reply #1 - 07/08/11 at 07:34:21

Lift the rectifier off the fender,  hold it up, replace the fuse. If all is well isolate the rectifier better. The stock fender has a pretty nice mounting point for it bushings and all. The rectifier it's self has a nice THIN coat of isolation type paint. If it rubs off the chances of shorting increase.

Goodluck

06 S-40 ss carbbowl screws, ss valve cover bolts, turn signals lightup w/ brake light(removed for trouble shooting)
06 GS500F gstwins.com
06 Hayabusa.org
  IP Logged
drulg
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 07/08/11 at 09:06:57

papi_ocho wrote on 07/08/11 at 07:34:21:
Lift the rectifier off the fender,  hold it up, replace the fuse. If all is well isolate the rectifier better. The stock fender has a pretty nice mounting point for it bushings and all. The rectifier it's self has a nice THIN coat of isolation type paint. If it rubs off the chances of shorting increase.

Goodluck

Thanks, I think I found the problem, when I installed the tail light an fender, some of the tail light wires got pinched between the frame and the fender and it seems that was causing the short!

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #3 - 07/09/11 at 18:22:18

I'd bet the fused "blowed" too ! Grin

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 07/09/11 at 18:34:46

papi_ocho wrote on 07/08/11 at 07:34:21:

Goodluck

I think you're all wet on this one.
My rectumfryer isn't painted, and doesn't have any plastic isolation bushings.

WWW   IP Logged
papi_ocho

super stock thumper

Oceanside, CA
Reply #5 - 07/10/11 at 22:52:48

Mine hasn't been mounted in the stock spot since I got it home from the dealer in 06 . But I do know that the box was doing great where I had I placed until the coating rubbed off and was grounding against the fender. I ended up cutting a plastic trash can up and used a piece to isolated the box. I'll post pics of the shiny spots on the box next time I have the seat off.

06 S-40 ss carbbowl screws, ss valve cover bolts, turn signals lightup w/ brake light(removed for trouble shooting)
06 GS500F gstwins.com
06 Hayabusa.org
  IP Logged
runrun

Thump thump

Erie, CO
Reply #6 - 07/15/11 at 02:19:15

i was also getting blown fuses when trying to start.  my regulator/rectifier had been moved from stock rear fender location.  as soon as i removed it from its new mounting position on my ryca battery box, problem solved.

maybe some r/r's are more susceptible to accidental grounding than others?  i'm planning to remount mine with super velcro, rather than bolting it to the battery box.

thanks for the tip, papi_ocho.  i would have been chasing this short forever!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 00:19:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Fuse shorted out!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.