Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Start problem on a Ryca Kit (Read 168 times)
zoeman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Oxford, PA
Start problem on a Ryca Kit
07/07/11 at 20:09:41

I finished the wiring on my Ryca Kit and everything is operational except for starting the engine.  I can hear a clicking sound (solenoid?) but the engine won't turn over.  Battery is showing 12.4 volts under load.  I did have the side cases off to polish them.  Any ideas? Embarrassed

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Re: Start problem on a Ryca Kit
Reply #1 - 07/07/11 at 20:24:55

Is the wiring on your solenoid attached thusly?

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
zoeman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Oxford, PA
Reply #2 - 07/08/11 at 05:07:03

Thanks for the help and I will check that this evening!

IP Logged
runrun

Thump thump

Erie, CO
Reply #3 - 07/13/11 at 08:13:38

is the clicking sound you hear just one or two clicks or does it keep going?  if you only get one or two clicks, that might be one or both of your 20 amp fuses blowing.

that's what i'm trying to sort out now.  no changes except the ryca mods to the wiring, but now the fuses blow when the ignition switch is turned to "on"

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #4 - 07/13/11 at 08:54:23

I'm guessing that when you had the side covers off you put the washer that goes on the thrust gear in the wrong spot. That causes the gear to bind against the side cover on the left side of the bike.

http://www.ronayers.com/Fiche/TypeID/26/Type/CRANKCASE_COVER/MakeID/2/Make/Su...

The part is #2

This seems to be a common problem since the washer just drops out of the case when you remove the cover...PITA

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
zoeman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Oxford, PA
Reply #5 - 07/13/11 at 19:45:32

Thanks for the heads up on the washer!  I will take the case off and check that also!  We did run a ground wire from the engine to the relocated ground wire and that solved the electrical gremlins - the erratic neutral light and the solenoid issue.  Also found the battery was dropping to 7 volts under load.  Ordered a new battery and will continue to trouble shoot.

IP Logged
zoeman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Oxford, PA
Reply #6 - 07/13/11 at 20:50:38

Bubba, thanks for the heads up on the washer ... removed the side cover and you were correct - no washer.  Another problem solved and thank you very much! Smiley

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #7 - 07/14/11 at 06:22:21

Glad it worked out. It sounded like the same problem I had on a 500 dollar CL basket case... Grin

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
sbaugz
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 07/14/11 at 08:22:33

runrun wrote on 07/13/11 at 08:13:38:
is the clicking sound you hear just one or two clicks or does it keep going?  if you only get one or two clicks, that might be one or both of your 20 amp fuses blowing.

that's what i'm trying to sort out now.  no changes except the ryca mods to the wiring, but now the fuses blow when the ignition switch is turned to "on"

I had the same problem with fuses blowing. Check your connectors in the wiring harness. There are two sets Of connectors that are interchangeable . I had mine connected wrong and fuses blew each time I turned on ignition. I swapped the connections and problem solved.

IP Logged
runrun

Thump thump

Erie, CO
Reply #9 - 07/15/11 at 02:08:26

sbaugz, my starting problem seems to have been caused by the way the rectifier/regulator is mounted to the battery box.

i read a post somewhere here about starting problems after relocating the r/r due to the fact that in the new location it's not as isolated from the metal that it's mounted to as it was in the original rear fender location.

my understanding is that with a solid state component like the r/r, the outer case, in order to act as a heat sink for stuff inside, is "live" and so will ground if improperly mounted.

anyway, as soon as i unmounted the r/r from the battery box, no more blown fuses, engine turns over, and all the lights etc. work.  i'm planning to remount the r/r using super velcro, like the cdi box.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 22:19:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Start problem on a Ryca Kit

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.