Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I like loud!! (Read 218 times)
sillydilly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

I like loud!!
07/07/11 at 14:00:27

hey guys, looking for muffler suggestions here.

I have a stock exhaust which had the baffle removed, but still cant see through it.

I also have a stock Sportster muffler which has the H hole that needs to be welded, you also cannot see through it.

Whats the best way of getting a nice loud pipe, using one of the two?

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Re: I like loud!!
Reply #1 - 07/07/11 at 15:22:57

Just don't weld up the hole for the crossover tube, you will have loud  Grin

Actually I would go to a bike salvage yard and see if they will take both mufflers in exchange for a screamin' eagle something-or-other.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Z

Ride Baby Ride!!!

Northwestern PA
Reply #2 - 07/07/11 at 16:40:59

Just say to h@!! with it and buy a Jardine!!  Smiley I LOVE my loud!!! Smiley

Sanity runs from my family!
  IP Logged
sillydilly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 07/07/11 at 17:13:02

I dont wanna buy a pipe. Im thinking about hollowing out or the similar to ones I already have?

IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 07/08/11 at 03:57:43

Well... you need a thick, long drill bit. No big science. IMHO It's better to try swapping out both for one you like, just like bouletard suggested.

IP Logged
nthnglnn
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 07/08/11 at 12:59:27

I just took the stock cannon off and put a 45* tip on and wrapped the pipe. A buddy of my has his harley with dual strait pipes. He said he could hear me about 1/4 mile ahead of him. Looks good and is loud as hell. Cost me $8 for the tip, $45 for the wrap and $10 for the ties. Cant beat $63.

IP Logged
MagickNinja

Dont sweat the petty
things, Pet the
sweaty things

Boise, ID
Reply #6 - 07/08/11 at 14:29:32

I had some parts laying around for my '73 Triumph Bonneville 750 so I stole an old muffler from it. It's just a simple muffler that tapers at the end. Has a rail mount like the Dyna so installation was a breeze. I originally had it on backwards because it was easy to mount but I've since done it right.

This muffler weights ALOT less than the stock one and made my bike sound thick, real thumpy, but when I crack the throttle it has a nice high end crackle to it. Almost reminds me of a muscle car but not as deep.

Plus everyone seems to go with HD, I hate HD. I was brainwashed by my father to despise HD my whole life. And it'd be nice to run something not every other guy on this forum is running. The triumph muffler was the right size and a 15min install.

You should try different ones. I had 4 mufflers laying around to try. We pulled off the stock muffler and my brother got a heat glove and while the bike was running we slid each muffler over the pipe to hear it. The long megaphone muffler was the best but mounting it would require serious modifications so I opted for the smaller one. I love the way it sounds, even though I liked the way it sounded stock, the whistling kazoo sound just drives me nuts and seems to plague all stock exhaust.

IP Logged
MagickNinja

Dont sweat the petty
things, Pet the
sweaty things

Boise, ID
Reply #7 - 07/08/11 at 14:38:09

nthnglnn wrote on 07/08/11 at 12:59:27:
I just took the stock cannon off and put a 45* tip on and wrapped the pipe. A buddy of my has his harley with dual strait pipes. He said he could hear me about 1/4 mile ahead of him. Looks good and is loud as hell. Cost me $8 for the tip, $45 for the wrap and $10 for the ties. Cant beat $63.

I had taken my muffler off and ran straight header before. I had a slash cut beauty tip for a car exhaust. We slid it over enough to cover the rusty end of the pipe that was left behind after removing the old and tightened it down.

Looked cool...but omg was it LOUD. I loved the sound but almost instantly said Noway...too loud. Even my brother was worried his neighbors might call the police and he's usually the one pushing me to be louder! I didn't want to put my poor neighbors through that, me coming home at 12:30am and then I found out in Idaho a muffler is required so I fixed it

IP Logged
MagickNinja

Dont sweat the petty
things, Pet the
sweaty things

Boise, ID
Reply #8 - 07/08/11 at 14:43:33

I say go loud if you want, just be somewhat considerate of others. I think straight pipe might be abit too much. And don't worry about $300 Jardine exhaust and all that, I found a few mufflers pretty easily and they would all fit with some elbow greese or a reducer (except the megaphone).

Here's the biggest thing, Find a shop in your area who has an EGA machine. They can hook your bike up in your new configuration and tell you exactly what mixture and jets you should be running. It's typically around $75 and it will save you a lot of BS. If you don't have a shop that has one, I would think twice about changing the exhaust at all.

You'd think its common but here in a decent sized city of Boise there is only 1 shop that has one. Well, a couple HD shops have them but refuse to hook up Jap bikes. General consensus is they actually don't know how to test the sportbikes so they refuse anything not HD.

IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #9 - 07/08/11 at 16:11:07

I have an HD Dyna (I think....torpedo looking?) with the baffle knocked out. It was a little loud at 1st, so I found a big washer with a slightly smaller hole, and jammed it down the intake side. The washer fit perfectly, and muffler sounds good. Mounting was a trick--I have 2 double hose clamps strapping it to the OE bracket, and the front is kinda jammed into the front pipe extension, which was slightly flared out. I was gonna have it welded as such, but never did--it leaks a little but still runs and sounds ok.

IP Logged
sillydilly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 07/09/11 at 00:09:49

I have to agree when you guys say straight pipe is TOO loud.

I ran just the header, sounds awesome, but left my ears ringing after a good throttle snap. I just want something nice a loud, gets noticed, but nothing too ignorant.

So far, a buddy took a long flathead and smashed out the wall in the Sporty pipe. its now see through, with the center smash-out being about slightly smaller then the Canadian quarter coin.

Cant wait to see how she sounds!

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #11 - 07/09/11 at 07:51:49

sillydilly wrote on 07/07/11 at 14:00:27:
hey guys, looking for muffler suggestions here.
I have a stock exhaust which had the baffle removed, but still cant see through it.
I also have a stock Sportster muffler which has the H hole that needs to be welded, you also cannot see through it.
Whats the best way of getting a nice loud pipe, using one of the two?

How about this?

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 04:11:05

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › I like loud!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.