Send Topic Print
Banging noise? (Read 170 times)
OntheBoulevard
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Banging noise?
07/07/11 at 13:11:00

This my friends is a weirdo! I haven't ridden my 2005 Suzuki Boulevard for a couple weeks, and I engaged the clutch to back it out of the shed, and it acted like it was catching on something. It let go finally, and made a fairly substantial banging noise somewhere in the transmission area  Shocked . I rolled it out, and forwards or backwards with the clutch in, and the transmission in neutral or 1st, it bangs when you push it, about every revolution of the back wheel. I went ahead and started it, and put it in gear, and it had no problem moving forward, but the banging persisted just as if I were pushing it. I didn't try to ride it or anything, I just shut it off and pushed it back in the shed. It did not do this when I parked it, so I have no idea in this world, what could have taken place while it sat in there. Has anybody ever had this happen, and know what it is? The engine ran fine, and the clutch engaged fine. I pulled the cover off the belt drive pulley, and didn't see anything. Before I venture forth into the unknown inter workings, I wanted to ask about it.

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Re: Banging noise?
Reply #1 - 07/07/11 at 17:19:02

Boulevard, Do you have any children?  Grin Grin

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 07/07/11 at 18:23:03

did you leave the oil fill cap off ?   Shocked

WWW   IP Logged
SuperSavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 07/07/11 at 21:54:35

Remove the headboard and try again.  Grin

IP Logged
ls650v

97 savage

Clinton Twp, MI
Reply #4 - 07/08/11 at 03:09:45

Quote:
...about every revolution of the back wheel

Did you inspect the rear pully for a rock jammed between the pully ribs?  Maybe inspect the belt for the same?

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #5 - 07/08/11 at 03:31:13

ls650v wrote on 07/08/11 at 03:09:45:
Quote:
...about every revolution of the back wheel

Did you inspect the rear pully for a rock jammed between the pully ribs?  Maybe inspect the belt for the same?

...and did you feel any resistance while pushing? If so definitely something on the belt.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
OntheBoulevard
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 07/12/11 at 12:33:03

I finally got some time in today, so I'll look at it. One thing I do know, is that it has something to do with the rear hub, belt, or something like that, because when you raise the back tire off the ground with the transmission in neutral, the back wheel is locking up.

IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #7 - 07/12/11 at 13:37:52

sounds like something may have let go in the rear brakes, maybe?

IP Logged
OntheBoulevard
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 07/12/11 at 14:03:59

Mystery solved! This is a good one for all of you to know. I got the back wheel off the ground, and had the cover off the belt drive pulley. I had my wife turn it, and something looked funny with the pulley teeth. I had her back it up, and I could see that there were three grooves between the teeth that weren't nearly as deep as the ones on either side. In fact, there was hardly enough of a dent there to ever say there was a groove. Mr Mud Dauber had gotten in there between the pulley and the chrome belt cover, and built a nest. When I backed it out the other day, I broke the nest off, and the belt dust had camouflaged the clay in the teeth perfectly, where it had its nest anchored. So, a screwdriver and a little wire bristled tooth brush fixed it. I said it was a weirdo from the start, and it was!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 00:24:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Banging noise?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.