Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hesitation at high speeds (Read 219 times)
Jahoo

Annapolis,MD
Hesitation at high speeds
07/07/11 at 08:26:45

Im getting alittle sputter if i try to open her up over 50 any ideas?

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Re: Hesitation at high speeds
Reply #1 - 07/07/11 at 08:30:42

More info-year, mileage, mods etc. please. It's very difficult to make suggestions with NO info.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Jahoo

Annapolis,MD
Reply #2 - 07/07/11 at 15:44:14

sorry about that i was in class when i wrote that and really didn't need the professor seeing me on the forum.

95, 15,500, only mod is the raptor petcock, She sat for almost 3 years without being run, I just got her up and running again in the last 2 months, i fully cleaned the carb about a month ago. I'm pretty sure she needs a new air filter but oil has been changed and at low speeds shes fine. If i try to really get on her though she hesitates.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #3 - 07/07/11 at 16:18:28

Darn ! Can't blame this one onto the petcock,......can't even try it on prime, cuz there ain't any ! Grin
Jahoo wrote on 07/07/11 at 15:44:14:
sorry about that i was in class when i wrote that and really didn't need the professor seeing me on the forum.

95, 15,500, only mod is the raptor petcock, She sat for almost 3 years without being run, I just got her up and running again in the last 2 months, i fully cleaned the carb about a month ago. I'm pretty sure she needs a new air filter but oil has been changed and at low speeds shes fine. If i try to really get on her though she hesitates.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 07/07/11 at 16:23:19

Well,... for starters,.. try the new air filter...
If that don't do it... you're heading back into the carb... Grin...

PS... you do have the vacuum tap on the carb blocked off with your new Raptor install,... right?...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Jahoo

Annapolis,MD
Reply #5 - 07/07/11 at 18:54:58

it's capped.

IP Logged
jdeluca

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

South of Boston, MA
Reply #6 - 07/08/11 at 08:34:54

While you had the carb apart last, did you happen to note the jetting?  And did you remove the jets when you cleaned it?  If you didn't remove the jets, perhaps there's something in the main jet orifice.
Is it "sputtering" on hard acceleration past 50 or is it on a slow acceleration?  In what gear?  How do you accelerate while in other gears, are you a wicker or are you easy on the throttle?  You said you were in class, so I'm going to assume you are younger than most and possibly cracking the throttle wide open...does the bike run fine with the throttle wide open in other gears?  If it does, I would think the carb would not be the issue...but if it is always sputtering at WOT, then I would think something in the Main Jet circuit.

Correct me if I'm wrong (Serowbot) but the carb doesn't care what gear you're in, it just wants to deliver the ideal mixture of fuel/air to the engine.  It is strictly throttle dependent, not speed dependent.  If the bike is struggling at wide open throttle in 1st gear, it should be struggling at wide open throttle in 5th gear.

delucaja   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 07/08/11 at 09:38:01

jdeluca wrote on 07/08/11 at 08:34:54:
Correct me if I'm wrong (Serowbot) but the doesn't care what gear you're in, it just wants to deliver the ideal mixture of fuel/air to the engine.  It is strictly throttle dependent, not speed dependent.  If the bike is struggling at wide open throttle in 1st gear, it should be struggling at wide open throttle in 5th gear.

You bet....  often times the problem is only noticed in top gear because the others are too transient...
... but it will be in all of them at the same rpm...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #8 - 07/09/11 at 01:53:32

There is a commonly noted small lag or "sputter" that occurs in the transition between pilot jet "main effect range" and main jet effect range -- many of us have noted it and played with larger pilot jets to try to fix it.  

(not completely cleared up on my bike either)

This effect is noted mostly in 5th gear roll ups as they are slower and you dwell longer in the zone that is affected.

As said, commonly noted and normal -- if this is your animal don't sweat it too much as it is only a transition effect.   Whack your throttle on open all the way (peg it) and zip up on past it is what I generally find myself doing.

Grin

(durn wickers -- they think 'pegging the throttle' fixes everything.  They also find themselves speed outrageously all the time and eat up tires and gasoline like there is no tomorrow).

====================

Have you replaced your stock vac petcock yet?   Could also be a "phantom petcock issue" coming from a stiffening diaphragm gas starvation that you are uncovering by asking for MORE GAS AT FULL SPEED that the stiffening diaphragm is able/willing to give you.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Jahoo

Annapolis,MD
Reply #9 - 07/15/11 at 16:11:37

I've noticed the sputter in lower gears too. but your right it's more noticable at a higher gear. at 60 mph plus it will start to sputter sometimes. it's not slow acceleration or anything like that more like the bike isn't getting gas. Besides that she is running perfectly.
I haven't replaced the air filter in along time.can you just spray the air filter with water to clean it or does it have to be replaced?

IP Logged
Jahoo

Annapolis,MD
Reply #10 - 07/15/11 at 16:13:15

oh and I pulled all the jets out and cleaned them when I did the carb.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #11 - 07/15/11 at 16:34:47

It sounds like a restriction in the main fuel delivery system,.....could be it the tank/petcock, or the fuel line to the carb, or in the main jet system in the carb.

Did you pull the hose off the carb and se that it has a full stream coming from the tank ?
Did you completely blow out the carb w/ compressed air ?

It is not the air filter causing this problem. And no, don't wash it w/ water.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #12 - 07/17/11 at 05:54:51

Jahoo wrote on 07/15/11 at 16:11:37:
I've noticed the sputter in lower gears too. but your right it's more noticable at a higher gear. at 60 mph plus it will start to sputter sometimes. it's not slow acceleration or anything like that more like the bike isn't getting gas. Besides that she is running perfectly.
I haven't replaced the air filter in along time.can you just spray the air filter with water to clean it or does it have to be replaced?

Take it for a very short ride without the airfilter and see if anything changes.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 14:12:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Hesitation at high speeds

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.