Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Poll Poll
Question: Now that you are old -- did you harm your hearing?

Yes -- shooting guns w/out protection
Yes -- loud noises at work
Yes -- bapping motorcycle exhaust
Yes -- loud music (big amp/speakers)
Yes -- Military exposures
Yes -- hereditary hearing loss
Yes -- medical illness or condition
I am too young to vote but wanna see the answers

« Last Modified by: Oldfeller--FSO on: 07/09/11 at 12:26:09 »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
I don't like loud!!   hearing war is declared (Read 1160 times)
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Re: I don't like loud!!   hearing war is declared
Reply #75 - 07/10/11 at 04:14:24

I actually have low frequency issues. I can hear sirens for miles, can't hear Lisa across the table in a restaurant. I can hear the exhaust leak in my drivable Ranger, can't hear the project one running. I could go on.

Years of chainsaws, guns, motorcycles, growing up near Air Force and Army bases (with artillery batteries), military service... it all adds up.

Constant pressure in my ears.

I still won't run a stock late model motorcycle exhaust. They don't sound right anymore. My 2005 Vulcan 800 Classic had stock exhaust, sounded awful. My 1999 Vulcan 800A had Cobra exhaust, a bit tinny at higher rpms but great the rest of the time. Sounded like a single crankpin v-twin should sound. My Savage has a decent sound, not as pathetic as stock, not as loud as when it was open.

I don't like straight pipes, fart can ricer mufflers or cherry bombs (except on big block mopars).

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #76 - 07/10/11 at 06:06:48

bill67 wrote on 07/09/11 at 19:40:23:
My left ear has been ringing since 1962 It was at the rifle range in the army where it started and as never quit,I went to doctor when I got out,He said the ear drum was inverted he treated it for about a month it didn't help so I quit going.Its on my army medical records.I try to get a pension for it but they wanted me to tell them what other guys in my outfit remembered it.I had no way to do that.I know guys that get and extra $100 a month from the government for it .But it didn't work for me.

My dad was an electrician and instrument mechanic in a lancaster squadron during WWII. Part of his duties were to set the magnetos on the engines at 10,000 ft altitude. The two outer engines had the magnetos mounted in the fuselage, but he had to crawl down the wing root to set them on the inner engines. It was very loud in there and he suffered from hearing loss because of this. When he turned 70 or so veteran's affairs came to see him and explained that he could apply for a pension, which he did. They gave him $110 a month for the rest of his life.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Re: I don't like loud!!
Reply #77 - 07/10/11 at 08:19:01

drums1 wrote on 07/07/11 at 03:48:27:
I have a harley muffler with the baffle knocked out. It's not too loud. Shocked Roll Eyes Wink

You MUST be kidding!  When the baffle fell out of my HD dyna pipe I sounded like a darn Concord jet booming when I went past people! Shocked

I was embarassed it was so loud!!! Embarrassed

Took it in to the shop and had the baffle replaced - now its just LOUD enough and when I want more, I rev the throttle.  Cool

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #78 - 07/10/11 at 08:37:55

WD wrote on 07/10/11 at 04:14:24:
I actually have low frequency issues. I can hear sirens for miles, can't hear Lisa across the table in a restaurant.
Years of chainsaws, guns, motorcycles, growing up near Air Force and Army bases (with artillery batteries), military service... it all adds up.

Same here - Air Force kid and exposure to aircraft jets from age 1 for 17 years, going to airshows, watching artillery demos, standing near runways to watch the jets practice touch & goes, the works.
And strange how I was exposed to very HIGH frequency noise, but it affected my LOW range of hearing.

Then I started living history and...constant exposure to blackpowder weapons, cannon and mortars. And I mean CANNON...including Howitzers and the like.

I found it interesting to see how many people listed "lack of protection when using guns"...we know its bad for us, but we still didnt use any ear protection.  Thats a bunch of badarse peoples...who are now deaf as posts!  Grin

Oh well.... Roll Eyes

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #79 - 07/10/11 at 10:00:39

Skate girl, A little ringing after a day of shooting was considered manly. Just remember how old some of us are. I mentioned to my wife that I can actually say I have known some of my friends for 50 years. :'( Men, don't do that. We actually didn't know any better. Our uncle sat on the porch and watched us lighting M-80s and Cherry bombs and, lighting a cigarette for us to use for lighting them, said, "Son that last one nearly got your hand."  

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Spiff
2005 No Login

Your favorite band
sucks!

In the Spiff Bunker
Reply #80 - 07/10/11 at 10:44:01

I have slight hearing loss at high frequencies due to listening to and playing in loud rock and roll bands.

But, being a stubborn male, I still don't wear earplugs when I play, but at least I have my reasons. I need to hear the on-stage monitors to keep me singing in key!

But now at least when I'm at a concert, I wear earplugs (if I remember to bring 'em).

As an MSF RiderCoach, I tell any student who asks about loud pipes the following true statement: There are no conclusive studies showing that loud pipes have any impact on fatality rates.

I try to leave it at that, because the topic gets very complicated very quickly when one digs into it further.

For example, how COULD a researcher design a study in the real world that could adequately test this hypothesis? (Simply put, you can't.)

Well, what about looking at dead motorcyclists? Are there a higher percentage of super-quiet Gold Wing riders who die as compared to loud-piped HD riders? Maybe. Maybe not. But any such analysis would suffer from a host of confounding variables such as helmet use/non-use, other safety gear use/non-use, rider experience, rider recklessness, just to name a few.

Plus, the cops record a lot of things when they write up a fatal, but loudness of pipes ain't one of 'em.

So, the only evidence that anyone has on this matter is anecdotal evidence, which is no evidence at all.

It comes down to this, in my opinion. Sure, loud pipes may get car drivers to notice you sooner, but that loudness very rarely helps drivers in front of you to hear you, and those are the drivers who really need to notice you (i.e., the one who might turn left in front of you).

And plus, any drivers who DO hear your pipes are likely to be: 1) behind you or beside you, 2) startled by your pipes and may jerk the wheel in response (I know I have done this), and/or 3) pissed off by the loudness, which may bump up the chance for road rage retaliation.

Bottom line for me: Loud pipes may be effective in a few specific situations, but their downsides -- (1-3 above), plus I hate hearing loud pipes -- means that I have chosen to ride a bike with quieter-than-average stock pipes, which I have not modified.

Works for me.

Your mileage may vary.

"Ridicule is the only weapon that can be used against unintelligible propositions. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them."
WWW   IP Logged
Sunchasers

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks the Rockies!

Northern Colorado
Reply #81 - 07/11/11 at 12:55:36

Boofer wrote on 07/10/11 at 10:00:39:
Skate girl, A little ringing after a day of shooting was considered manly. Just remember how old some of us are. I mentioned to my wife that I can actually say I have known some of my friends for 50 years. :'( Men, don't do that. We actually didn't know any better. Our uncle sat on the porch and watched us lighting M-80s and Cherry bombs and, lighting a cigarette for us to use for lighting them, said, "Son that last one nearly got your hand."  

The poll needed one for hearing damage from fireworks.... I would have answered "Yes" for sure!  Undecided

1987 LS650P, Blue/Purple, stock w/ white spacer mod, 2-1/4 turns, Raptor petcock, seat ht. mod, Verslavy, Routys F.C., 8300 mi
  IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Re: I don't like loud!!
Reply #82 - 07/11/11 at 14:26:41

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/08/11 at 22:01:40:
but DANG if I could only go back and warn myself.

Ohhh yea,.  but would I listen?? Heck,, I doubt it,,, wadda boneheaded kid I was,

. . . .   Wink as a kid huh?  

jk JOG

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #83 - 07/11/11 at 15:34:22

Well,, it wa worse back then,, still bad now, tho,, yea, you got me figgered out..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #84 - 07/11/11 at 18:31:39

I don't like pipes that leave my ears
ringing minutes after the bike has passed.
The kind that make the pavement move, you
know the kind I am talking about.
Now a nice rumble, yeah that is ok.
I have hearing loss as birth defect.
Yet seems those loud pipes even make that
ear ache..kim

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #85 - 07/11/11 at 19:22:52

Well, I was an Audioloigst.  If you haven't had your hearing tested by one, I would not accept your own assessment of your hearing..t is amzing how many people can't hear a car about to run them over but insist they hear "normal."

The variety of causes of hearing loss is staggering (like the number of great motorcycles) with loud noise, birth defect and high fevers to name a few.  If you are exposed to noise that is loud enough to cause your ear to ring for a while afterwards, then you will be damaging your hearing.

Those of us oldies with tinnitus (usually a higher pitched ringing) face a different issue.  As I pointed out in my previous post, recruitment (the abnormal growth in percieved loudness for the amount of increase as measured) means that those of us who have it (it usually is found in those with tinnitus) can find a louder noise painfully loud.  This is a major reason most grandpa's don't like loud music. Grin Grin
ThaT And the fact they cna't make out the words anymore. Wink

IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #86 - 07/12/11 at 10:58:29

Ya had I not had my hearing checked by an
Audiologist, I would not have known about
the birth defect. I thought it was due to a
bicycle accident when I was a kid.
Come to find out,  forgive me if I say it
wrong, the  Stapies bone was deformed.
So the
Dr. took it out and replaced with a Titanium
prosthesis about 7 years ago. It helped some
yet not 100%. Dr. said more surgery, I said no.
Only thing with the Titanium prosthesis,  it won't allow
any MRI's to performed due to the metal.
When we go to the races, we now take our ear phones.
those cars and motorcycles racing are very loud..Smiley kim

IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #87 - 07/14/11 at 08:53:25

You can ride with loud pipes and still not be an idiot. It's about consideration for others. I ride a lot of roads in farmland. Bicycle riders and runners also frequent these roads, as do people on horseback. There's little enough traffic, so it's safe to pull in the clutch when passing these people/horses, and I do it all the time. They respond with smiles instead of the finger Cool

FSO
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #88 - 07/14/11 at 10:21:35

Photojoe,  a true story ....

For the jollies of it I rented one of the .50 caliber namesakes (your pic by your name) when they first became available.   It was a big deal back then as it trumped a .44 magnum by a wide margin.

Brass alone was an ounce and a half ..... and one landed on the top of my head (rim down of course)  after flying straight up and bouncing off the ceiling of the shooting booth.

I had blood running down my face when I exited the range and I pointedly suggested to the attendant that they only rent the gun for outside range use since it throws its heavy as hell sharp edged brass straight up in the air.

Roll Eyes

(fingering the circular scar on the top of his noggin as he types)

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #89 - 07/14/11 at 10:38:33

Supposed to do the Gangsta' hold with a gun like that...

Shoot the empties at the guy next to you... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 06:19:08

General CategoryThe Cafe › I don't like loud!!   hearing war is declared

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.