Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Poll Poll
Question: Now that you are old -- did you harm your hearing?

Yes -- shooting guns w/out protection
Yes -- loud noises at work
Yes -- bapping motorcycle exhaust
Yes -- loud music (big amp/speakers)
Yes -- Military exposures
Yes -- hereditary hearing loss
Yes -- medical illness or condition
I am too young to vote but wanna see the answers

« Last Modified by: Oldfeller--FSO on: 07/09/11 at 12:26:09 »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
I don't like loud!!   hearing war is declared (Read 1160 times)
jdeluca

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

South of Boston, MA
Re: I don't like loud!!   hearing war is declared
Reply #60 - 07/09/11 at 11:00:47

I'm not 55 yet, and as such am restraining myself from voting.
For the record, I'm 30.  I have been working around diesel generators (Cat, Cummins, and Detroit's) for the past 7 years, oftentimes with ear plugs or ear protection of some type, and many times with no protection at all minus a finger in my left ear.  Why only the left ear?  It's the one that works better.  I've started using ear protection more often than I used to because I noticed that my hearing has gotten worse.  There is one particular incident that I remember that I know affected my hearing; I was working on a piece of equipment (low voltage transfer switch, 480 VAC) when I made a mistake and took phase voltage to ground resulting in an arc flash type explosion.  Besides the brightness of the flash which resulted in seeing spots for a couple of hours, the boom from the flash resulted in ringing in my ears, more so my right one which still rings occasionally.  This was about 6 years ago when it happened.  The incident also prompted me to start smoking again (I had quit roughly 6 months earlier after being in the hospital for 5 days with pneumonia, but that's another story for another day).  Fortunately, I managed to have no other adverse affects, I was lucky and didn't get burnt, and besides the hearing problem, I am in good shape.  SO....moral of the story?  Wear hearing protection when at all possible, because that is the only thing that once gone does not return.

delucaja   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #61 - 07/09/11 at 12:00:43

Ya need to add a "too young to vote" button so we youngin's can see what you old farts are up too.

WWW   IP Logged
jdeluca

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

South of Boston, MA
Reply #62 - 07/09/11 at 12:13:22

Quote:
Ya need to add a "too young to vote" button so we youngin's can see what you old farts are up too.

+1 Vers!

delucaja   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #63 - 07/09/11 at 12:29:22

Now that's plumb lazy,  Verslagen could have fixed his button hisself iffen he had a wanted to.

But oh no, he had to go ask the feeble minded old fart to go do it -- let's see if Oldfart remembers how to push the right button without deleting the whole thang.

Grin

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Re: I don't like loud!!
Reply #64 - 07/09/11 at 12:30:48

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 07/09/11 at 09:26:56:
... because the young studs haven't gotten to the payback time yet and aren't getting the results of what they did to themselves yet.

...we did dumb shite to our hearing when we were young and immortal and the bill didn't come due until we were old and creaky.

And it pisses us off when we try to tell you and you testosterone back at us....

Well stated.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #65 - 07/09/11 at 12:33:05

jdeluca wrote on 07/09/11 at 11:00:47:
..... SO....moral of the story?  Wear hearing protection when at all possible, because that is the only thing that once gone does not return.

Well stated.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #66 - 07/09/11 at 12:34:23

And Bob, you get to remind me next time I snap at a young puppy fer chewing on my tail, it's not like we all haven't done it at some time or another so don't feel individual about it -- they are right aggravating at times ('cept for the young girls, that is -- they are kinda cute)

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #67 - 07/09/11 at 13:08:39

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 07/09/11 at 12:29:22:
Now that's plumb lazy,  Verslagen could have fixed his button hisself iffen he had a wanted to.

You filled all the slots, and not seeing the results, didn't know which one didn't matter.

Now for myself, I kinda sided with majik.
I used to work at a company that designed dot matrix printers.
And they ran quality testing 24 hrs a day 7 days a week.
I'd go to sleep with the ringing in my ears.  
About 20 yrs later now, they're gone.
5 years ago I added the melodious supertrapped thumper to my life and the little bell ringers have not returned.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #68 - 07/09/11 at 14:53:13

Haven't read all the posts,.. so I may be repeating...
... and I did see Magicninja make mention of it...

Watch out for I-pods!,... earbuds etc...
They are worse than shooting, riding, and playing rock'nroll...

It's the difference between riding in the wind,... and sticking an air compressor nozzle up your nose... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #69 - 07/09/11 at 16:00:58

The loud music I fear for is the guy in the bebop car (debaged Honda something or other) that pulls up next to you and the guy's music is VERY LOUD inside your well insulated quiet road noise killing luxury mobile.

You look over and you notice his rear view mirror is moving in time with the bass notes coming out of the giantnormous sub-woofers bolted to the floor of the rear hatch back.  Then you look over at your mirror and it is moving too .....   yikes !!

But then again in our generation we though nothing of walking in front of the concert speakers at the outdoor band performances -- and they would literally rattle yer teeth at that close range if you remember correctly.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #70 - 07/09/11 at 16:05:17

Longview Texas,, car pulls up next to me at a lite,, I can hear the body panels vibrating,, its so LOUD,, sounds like crap,, but its LOUD,,, I look over at the driver,, & HE is wearin earplugs!!!  I made it backfire with the kickstand ,, just to shake him up,, wadda maroon

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ncron1103

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Georgetown,ky
Reply #71 - 07/09/11 at 16:43:19

CBH wrote on 07/06/11 at 19:36:41:
Maybe I'm just spoiled with my GoldWing!  Roll Eyes
What would you guys suggest for a quiet replacement muffler on the Savage?

Ive got the sportster muffler on mine is its not loud at all

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #72 - 07/09/11 at 18:52:44

As a 20 year wearer of hearing aids, I hope that you will do all things possible to protect your hearing. In the good old USN I stood a water maker watch between #4 main engine turbo and the 2 vapor compressors on the water makers. For days after we came in port I would be all but deaf and the corpsman's answer was cotton balls in the ear. After that I worked 3 summers in State of Alaska Marine Hiway engine rooms w/o any protection. Many years later I took a trip on the new Ferry and asked to go in the engine-room. Answer was no. While machinery is in operation, all personnel will wear ear muffs from opening the engine room hatch until departure. Failure results in 1 warning, 2nd time off the boat no matter where you are in your shift , 3rd time immediate dismissal. They finally figured it out and no visitors. This included in port time when not on shore power.

Like what folks have said before, hearing loss usually does not come back and once the nerves are damaged there is no hope. Hopefully your insurance will help you with hearing aids. Last pair cost $3000. Insurance only pays $2000. damage one or get it wet, $500 to repair. They are a hassle as if turned up too loud, will ring in your ears, My chemo creates acne like pimples, a pimple under a earpiece is really painful. They whistle when the pillow has a plastic cover, hospitals and hotels. Turn 'em down and then you cannot understand what is being asked of you and the answer you guess at often is cause for much merriment. Phones, especially cell phones are next to useless. Movies are a thing of the past, even with the headphones that good theaters provide, you miss all the quiet parts. Conversation in a noisy room is next to impossible. Wind noise from the road in a vehicle makes listening to the radio or music almost impossible. I could go on. I do believe we will have generation of hearing impaired folks from the car steeros that make the car vibrate. My audiologist told me even the blue tooth versions coming onto the market won't help my kind of hearing damage. Please protect your hearing!! huh? Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #73 - 07/09/11 at 18:57:17

I saw the Rolling Stones in '72 and still remember being almost deaf for three days after. The poll is missing my favorite, race cars, either circle track or 1/4 mile strips. No matter what caused it I've a ringing in my ears that never clears up. And yes to anybody who asks, it was worth it, every darn decible.  Grin

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #74 - 07/09/11 at 19:40:23

My left ear has been ringing since 1962 It was at the rifle range in the army where it started and as never quit,I went to doctor when I got out,He said the ear drum was inverted he treated it for about a month it didn't help so I quit going.Its on my army medical records.I try to get a pension for it but they wanted me to tell them what other guys in my outfit remembered it.I had no way to do that.I know guys that get and extra $100 a month from the government for it .But it didn't work for me.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 06:32:27

General CategoryThe Cafe › I don't like loud!!   hearing war is declared

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.