Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Poll Poll
Question: Now that you are old -- did you harm your hearing?

Yes -- shooting guns w/out protection
Yes -- loud noises at work
Yes -- bapping motorcycle exhaust
Yes -- loud music (big amp/speakers)
Yes -- Military exposures
Yes -- hereditary hearing loss
Yes -- medical illness or condition
I am too young to vote but wanna see the answers

« Last Modified by: Oldfeller--FSO on: 07/09/11 at 12:26:09 »

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Send Topic Print
I don't like loud!!   hearing war is declared (Read 1160 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: I don't like loud!!
Reply #15 - 07/07/11 at 06:06:45

CBH,, hasnt responded in a while,, maybe hes out listening to other mufflers, trying to decide wat kinda sound he wants.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
CBH
YaBB Newbies

Mid Ohio Valley
Reply #16 - 07/07/11 at 06:53:43

Thanks for the replies.  I'll replace it with a stock muffler.
I'm not looking for whisper quiet, I just don't care for something that sounds like a straight pipe that really cackles!   Grin

1986 Suzuki Savage LS650
1993 GoldWing GL1500 Interstate
1984 Honda Shadow VT700
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #17 - 07/07/11 at 06:57:56

Stock works,, its a quiet machine with the stock muffler on it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
MagickNinja

Dont sweat the petty
things, Pet the
sweaty things

Boise, ID
Reply #18 - 07/07/11 at 11:30:52

CBH wrote on 07/07/11 at 06:53:43:
I'm not looking for whisper quiet, I just don't care for something that sounds like a straight pipe that really cackles!   Grin

I'll sell you mine but as previously stated, shipping is gonna hurt. I don't know the exact weight but it's frickin heavy. Switching to a smaller triumph muffler for me was for sound and weight reduction. This stock muffler must weigh 20lbs. The replacement was like 8lbs.

The muffler I have came off my bike with only 13k miles. I did not notice any rust on it and it has the original heat shield. It sounded fine on my bike, just wanted something smaller and louder.

This isn't the place to discuss sales though so if you are interested PM me and we can sort it out.

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #19 - 07/07/11 at 11:32:50

Scott, I totally disagree loud pipes save lives, and yes there is some loss of torque with muffler tampering. Unless you know what to do.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Scott2.0
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Detroit
Reply #20 - 07/07/11 at 12:51:40

Boofer wrote on 07/07/11 at 11:32:50:
Scott, I totally disagree loud pipes save lives

DISagree?

2004 Savage, HD muffler, K&N, white spacer mod, 152.5 main, 55 pilot.
  IP Logged
MagickNinja

Dont sweat the petty
things, Pet the
sweaty things

Boise, ID
Reply #21 - 07/07/11 at 13:03:51

Boofer wrote on 07/07/11 at 11:32:50:
Scott, I totally disagree loud pipes save lives, and yes there is some loss of torque with muffler tampering. Unless you know what to do.

Not trying to get into an arguement here but I don't understand that at all.

If you're riding down the road on your bike and have super quiet exhaust, the odds are that young guy in his mustang ain't going to hear you over his radio, or the old lady with bad hearing, or the average guy blaring his favorite song, or the average woman talking on her cell phone, or...I mean this can go on and on.

I'm sure it doesn't apply 100% of the time but if you take those same situations and enter them on the same bike but with straight pipes, it's going to be obvious. Especially at intersections where it's typical for bikes to rev a couple times waiting for the green light or before taking off. Everytime you rev that bike most people are going to look over to see what is making the noise. Sure they may look at me and forget me, but I'd be willing to bet them looking at me once is better than not looking at all.

Plus I feel it applies in other ways as well. Here in Idaho half my ride consists of in-town riding but, the other half is 65mph highway rolling through the mountains. Lots of wide open fields and wildlife. Deer, elk, owls (yeah, giant ones) just to name a few. Loud pipes scare deer, I've seen them run away from road sides because of bikes but I've also seen them dive out in front of shiny new Subaru's with quiet exhaust.

Recently I was moving from a small town in the mountains to a bigger town in the mountains. I had to drive a 20ft Uhaul down Highway 52 between Horseshoe Bend and Emmett, Idaho. Long twisty 2 lane that rides the river. I was coming around a corner with a loaded truck and I saw something gigantic in the road. I started slowing down quickly and the thing didn't move. I hit my horn a couple times and suddenly it threw out its wings and took off. The wing span on this owl was almost as wide as the windshield in that Uhaul.

The Uhaul was brand new, had like 5k miles on it and was whisper quiet. I'm thinking if I had come around that canyon on my bike with loud pipes that owl would've heard me coming and by the time I was hitting the corner he would've moved. Maybe he wouldn't have, but again I'd bet that my bike being slightly obnoxious will deter animals from coming near me. Catching a deer or giant owl at 65mph is going to suck no matter what gear your wearing.

I could be wrong, this is just my opinion but to me having louder pipes is just as important as wearing a helmet.

IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #22 - 07/07/11 at 14:24:25

I have one friend who is finally out of the hospital from injuries sustained when he hit a deer on his H-D, equipped with straight shotgun pipes. He would disagree. Sad

Another friend told me 2 days ago that as he was coming home just running with traffic, 2 H-Ds with loud pipes came up behind him & he didn't here either one until they were beside him. One startled him by passing on his right. Undecided Angry

Loud pipes are just another annoying sound most people just tune out.

BTW, I don't have stock exhaust on either of my bikes, they are louder than stock for performance gains, not for noise, & neither has a straight pipe. Grin

You keep right on believing what you want, I'll keep on believing my LOUD horn is far more effective. Cool

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
MagickNinja

Dont sweat the petty
things, Pet the
sweaty things

Boise, ID
Reply #23 - 07/07/11 at 14:29:21

RidgeRunner13 wrote on 07/07/11 at 14:24:25:
I have one friend who is finally out of the hospital from injuries sustained when he hit a deer on his H-D, equipped with straight shotgun pipes. He would disagree. Sad

Another friend told me 2 days ago that as he was coming home just running with traffic, 2 H-Ds with loud pipes came up behind him & he didn't here either one until they were beside him. One startled him by passing on his right. Undecided Angry

Loud pipes are just another annoying sound most people just tune out.

BTW, I don't have stock exhaust on either of my bikes, they are louder than stock for performance gains, not for noise, & neither has a straight pipe. Grin

You keep right on believing what you want, I'll keep on believing my LOUD horn is far more effective. Cool

I've seen deer standing on the side of the road watching traffic and then bolt back into the field when 2 bikes came around the bend. Perhaps it also depends on the animals and how often they are around people and/or traffic.

I too changed my exhaust for performance, weight reduction, and the stock sound wasn't cutting it. It's not straight pipe, nor is it ridiculous or obnoxious. I didn't do this just to be loud, if that was my goal, I'd run straight header and a beauty tip.

I specifically said that it wouldn't always be that way, there is always exceptions to anything. I too have been startled getting passed by a bike that I didn't notice but it was because it was a weird BMW cruiser/enduro/sport/thingy and it was super quiet. I think I scared him even more when I jumped and swerved away from him. Had that been a big bike with open pipes I can't imagine how I'd miss it. I like bikes, when I hear pipes I look to see what the guy is riding. I think most people do whether its to give a thumbs up or to grumble about the noise.

I guess we can agree to disagree but to me it's simple. Being audibly louder than most other vehicles on the road will make you noticed, you will stand out. As motorcyclists we are constantly in danger of crashing, anything that might help me be safer is worth a shot in my book. Plus, it just sounds cool! Grin

IP Logged
Scott2.0
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Detroit
Reply #24 - 07/07/11 at 14:33:05

RidgeRunner13 wrote on 07/07/11 at 14:24:25:

Sorry to hear about your friend, but no one said being loud makes you invincible.  Just because your friend hit a deer with straight pipes doesn't really prove anything.  I bet some idiot cager texting is more likely to not swerve into me than something silent.  No stats to prove that or back it up, just plain logic.

2004 Savage, HD muffler, K&N, white spacer mod, 152.5 main, 55 pilot.
  IP Logged
MagickNinja

Dont sweat the petty
things, Pet the
sweaty things

Boise, ID
Reply #25 - 07/07/11 at 15:07:17

CBH wrote on 07/07/11 at 06:53:43:

I got your PM, I've tried replying multiple times and everytime I do it pops up saying it wants to access my clipboard, whether I say yes, no, or close the window, I appear at the main screen and the message doesn't get sent. Email me at magickninja369@yahoo.com so I can send you pics of the muffler. I'm thinkin' $70 for it?

IP Logged
Tehrifleman
YaBB Newbies

Savage: It's like
half of a Harley!

Montana
Reply #26 - 07/07/11 at 15:23:58

I do. I want to shake the pilings on overpasses. Guess I miss my hog. darn you Wall Street!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #27 - 07/07/11 at 18:52:43

That  people get killed waring their seat belts or their helmets doesnt mean they are useless,, Just because you can show a time when loud pipes went  un-noticed doesnt mean that sometimes the factor that saves a biker from being run over is the loud pipe, making enough noise to get the attention of the idiot at the wheel..

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Re: I don't like loud!
Reply #28 - 07/07/11 at 19:30:20

Fortunately, some states even have laws about loudness of pipes.  It will surprise you young'uns but loud pipes actually can hurt (as in painful) anyone with recruitment (which is what lots of older people and folks who have been subjected to a lot of nise during their work eg, military, musicans.)  I also do not like loud because I'd rather enjoy my ride -  and noise increases tension and blood pressure.  I get tired enough checking out the gals I see. Cheesy

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #29 - 07/07/11 at 19:54:20

When a very loud bike suddenly and unexpectedly passes me at WOT, it upsets me,......as in pisses me off ! They have no right to disturb the peace like that, and it is after all, illegal. But most the bikes around here are maybe noisy, but tolerable.
Myself, I like my drilled stock muffler,......just about right.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 04:38:06

General CategoryThe Cafe › I don't like loud!!   hearing war is declared

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.