Engine Stumble/hesitate (Read 87 times)
savage88
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Redondo Beach, CA
Engine Stumble/hesitate
07/06/11 at 16:18:55

Hello newbe here. I bought my 88 savage last fall. As far as i know everything was stock  Since than i replaced fuel petcock with raptor petcock, replaced with HD dyno slip on and cleaned the carb since it was sitting for a while from last owner. I did white spacer mod with 1/2 spacer since there was occasional backfire.  Idle mix screw is already out more than 3 turn. Runs ok but it seemed running too rich. Its been running like this ever since until i decided to rejet the carb last week. Now its running worse.
I changed the following: Main jet had 150 so i went 160.  Pilot jet had 47.5 so i went up to 57.5. I replaced with cone type air filter. Idle mix screw is now set 3 turns out. Idle fructuate and sometime stalls on stop. Hesitate/stumbles low speed. Should i go back to original jets? Any inputs will appreciate.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Engine Stumble/hesitate
Reply #1 - 07/06/11 at 16:26:47

Yes, go back... too much jets...
Try a 150/52.5# main/pilot...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 07/06/11 at 16:28:53

Adjust idle speed screw up..low idle will kill the top end, low oil pressure;

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
RpNSht
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 07/06/11 at 18:03:40

Serowbot wrote on 07/06/11 at 16:26:47:
Yes, go back... too much jets...
Try a 150/52.5# main/pilot...

im running this at sea level and its awesome

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #4 - 07/06/11 at 18:27:57

I just don't understand rejetting w/o a good reason to do so,.....such as major modifications to the exhaust and intake and camshaft, etc etc, or maybe moving from sea level to 6,000 ft elevation.

Do I need to tell you that these bikes are designed to run good w/ the jets that came from the factory ? Do you think the original owner would have bought the bike if it was running crappy because the jets were too small ? Or do you think that warranty would not have correct a crappy running situation. They (late models) may be running on the lean side of normal, but they are running acceptable. What would make that change all of a sudden ? Think maybe the jets are changing sizes while you ain't lookin,....that it would all of a sudden start running crappy ?
It seems like any fuel problems here are blamed either on the petcock, or Ethanol, or jet sizes, instead of finding the real problem.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 07/06/11 at 19:11:29

Routy,.. he put on a pipe and went too big with the jets...
It didn't change by itself...

The factory/dealer is restricted by federal emissions regulation... They can't legally up your jets...  and they'll void your warranty if you do...

... but you're right... it's jetted relatively okay from the factory, just a little lean for clean emissions...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
savage88
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Redondo Beach, CA
Reply #6 - 07/06/11 at 21:10:37

Thnx guys for inputs. I'll put back the old jet back and see what happens. Will update again. Thnxs again!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/07/24 at 22:38:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Engine Stumble/hesitate

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.