Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
License Plate Tearing at High Speed (Read 430 times)
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Re: License Plate Tearing at High Speed
Reply #15 - 07/07/11 at 06:01:27

Both top corners of my plate are missing.  I had just the plate on there, then one corner went. Wrapped the sides of the plate in duct tape until that wore through from weather/wear. Got a plate frame, then that broke, more duct tape temporarily. Ended up taking two 1/8th inch plates of aluminum, cut one out into a frame, and sandwiched the license plate between the aluminum. No problems since.

I've seen vibration dampeners (little reflector looking things you stick on the bottom of the plate) on some license plates, haven't had the chance to try them on the savage yet since the plate cracked so fast.

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
SoE

Rollin' the dice on
fire...

East TN
Reply #16 - 07/07/11 at 06:29:20

I didn't realize this was such a common issue. I was just looking at two big cracks in my plate last night. Seems like my tax & reg could cover a plate that won't snap like a stale Dorito.....

IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #17 - 07/07/11 at 09:28:38

does anybody know if this is a common motorcycle problem , thumper problem, or just savages?

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #18 - 07/07/11 at 09:39:14

Are we talking about plates made of plastic?  Mine is metal.  I don't see how it would crack.  I have a heavy frame around it, and never noticed a problem.

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
sjaskow - FSO

Frozen Tundra of MN
Reply #19 - 07/07/11 at 09:45:50

I'm on my third plate and I'll have had the S40 for 4 years in August.  Luckily, the state of Ohio doesn't charge extra if you replace the plate at the same time you get a renewal sticker.

2012 Victory Vision - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/vision
2006 Suzuki S40 - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/S40
WWW   IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #20 - 07/07/11 at 11:29:34

babyhog wrote on 07/07/11 at 09:39:14:
Are we talking about plates made of plastic?  Mine is metal.  I don't see how it would crack.  I have a heavy frame around it, and never noticed a problem.  

bh, That's why we post "Driven by a little old lady" in our CL ads.  Grin
I think the first bad cases of metal fatigue were in the DeHaviland Comet airliner in England. A bad air disaster that eluded explanation.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #21 - 07/07/11 at 13:14:51

Boofer wrote on 07/07/11 at 11:29:34:
babyhog wrote on 07/07/11 at 09:39:14:

bh, That's why we post "Driven by a little old lady" in our CL ads.  Grin
I think the first bad cases of metal fatigue were in the DeHaviland Comet airliner in England. A bad air disaster that eluded explanation.

Don't make me whip out my cane on you   Grin

I didn't say metal wouldn't crack...  never mind, I'll just shut up now...   Lips Sealed

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
CalisOsin

Rather die, than
live down on my
knees.

Orange County, Ca
Reply #22 - 07/07/11 at 14:24:24

Babyhog - I'm sure you know that he's just messing with you, but I wanted to point out the key difference here. Wake (and everyone else with this issue) didn't have a "heavy frame" around theirs. Just 2 bolts through the top of the plate into the bracket.

'97, k&n airfilter, bcb pipe, custom leather seat, monoshock, custom bars
  IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #23 - 07/07/11 at 14:39:03

About 2 days after the first license plate was bolted on the back of a motorcycle it cracked from vibration.  Grin

I've had some real shakers in my past so long ago I got in the habit of making a backing plate for mine. It helps to put bolts in the holes that are just through the backing plate too.

I also make my own license frames from diamond plate. Cool In Texas the frame is not supposed to cover the state name so I trim them to fit. No point in giving the PD an excuse to pull you over. Sad

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
scottnj

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

the 'Nati, OH
Reply #24 - 07/08/11 at 07:47:01

Wow -- glad I found this thread.  I just got my S40 a few weeks ago and thought I must must have hit the plate on something to crack it.  Didn't know this happened to other people too or that it's from vibrations.  I'm gonna try to find something to make a backer out of before I lose my plate somewhere.  Thanks everybody -- you helped this newbie out!

2007 S40 (Supertrapp, 6" Ed. L forward controls, K&N, & some other stuff)
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #25 - 07/08/11 at 09:17:26

So I did something smart, thinking it was for good looks, but turned out to be beneficial to protecting my plate too.   Wink

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #26 - 07/08/11 at 09:46:55

Baby Hog, You are smart. That big glob of JB Weld in the picture will ensure that it never cracks!  Grin Grin

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #27 - 07/08/11 at 10:02:53

Boofer wrote on 07/08/11 at 09:46:55:
Baby Hog, You are smart. That big glob of JB Weld in the picture will ensure that it never cracks!  Grin Grin

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #28 - 07/08/11 at 18:04:49

RidgeRunner13 wrote on 07/07/11 at 14:39:03:
About 2 days after the first license plate was bolted on the back of a motorcycle it cracked from vibration.  Grin

I've had some real shakers in my past so long ago I got in the habit of making a backing plate for mine. It helps to put bolts in the holes that are just through the backing plate too.

I also make my own license frames from diamond plate. Cool In Texas the frame is not supposed to cover the state name so I trim them to fit. No point in giving the PD an excuse to pull you over. Sad

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n94/Pappygt13/V-StarMods115.jpg

We can still read your plate.  Wink

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #29 - 07/10/11 at 09:45:43

Wake51 wrote on 07/06/11 at 14:01:11:
I've had an issue with my license plate shearing off at sustained Interstate speeds (60-70 MPH). I've already lost one plate, and the replacement is starting to crack around the nuts. I assume this is from vibrations. I loosened the nuts that hold it on slightly to give a little wiggle room. Anyone have any better solutions or experience with this?

Simple, cheap, proven, unobservable solution:

1. Put rubber washers the size of normal washers on each side of the license plate.  The order would be bolt head, metal washer, rubber washer, plate, rubber washer, plate bracket, metal washer, nut.  Most license plate brackets have slots instead of holes and some states have slots in the license plate,.. you might want to use fender washers instead of normal metal washers here.
   2. Before you put the nut on the bolt to fasten everything together, put a little silicon seal (RTV) on the threads of both the bolt and the nut.
   3. Install the license plate but don't tighten the bolts down very much,.. make them just tight enough to take out any clearance between all the nuts/washers/brackets, etc.  You want the rubber washers compressed very little.
   4. Let the assembly sit still overnight to give the RTV a chance to cure,.. it takes a little while for the stuff down in the threads to get hard.

Using RTV for this is kind of cute because it glues the nut to the bolt well enough that it won't come loose, yet is easily removable with normal tools.  

If you can't get along with the RTV idea, then use two nuts tightened against each other such that they lock themselves to the bolt.  Just be sure to not compress the rubber washers very much at all.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/07/24 at 22:37:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › License Plate Tearing at High Speed

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.