Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Engine keeps turning off (Read 85 times)
PR_Chicano
YaBB Newbies

So whats nu?...
"Lambda over
c"

Chicago
Engine keeps turning off
07/06/11 at 11:07:08

Hello everyone,

Im new to this forum so i dont quite know how this all works.
but I have a 95 Savage and I seem to have some engine problems.  When I have it at idle, the engine has trouble staying on and cuts off frequently, so i have to constantly rev it every few seconds to avoid it from turning off.  The smell of gas comes strong with that too so I thought maybe its something wrong with the carb, but I took it all apart and cleaned it but still the same problem.  
The engine also seems to miss a lot or something because when im accelerating, the bike loses and regains power at random intervals.  Not sure what the problem is.  Any help would be appreciated
Thanks

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Re: Engine keeps turning off
Reply #1 - 07/06/11 at 11:20:38

Pr Chicano, The petcock may be defective and/or leaking. Go to Serowbot's post in the technical section and test it. In the interim (I promise--I have never used that word before), put a couple of ounces of Seafoam in a full tank of gas and see if it helps. That's all I have.  Smiley

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
CalisOsin

Rather die, than
live down on my
knees.

Orange County, Ca
Reply #2 - 07/06/11 at 11:42:27

I'm with Boofer that it's probably the petcock, but you might a well tell us now... what year, how many miles, any mods, known issues, your level of mechanical ability, and anything else you think might be relevant.

'97, k&n airfilter, bcb pipe, custom leather seat, monoshock, custom bars
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 07/06/11 at 11:47:00

I count the stock vac petcock failures for this year of our Lord 2011 -- and you mentioned gasoline and smell of gasoline.

Has any gas from your defective stock vac petcock made it into your sump?

(gas runs down the vac line from the split diaphragm into the carb body, down the intake and past an open valve into the jug and past the rings and into your oil)

Pull your oil plug to the sump and sniff your oil -- smell any gas?

You may be #5 for the year .....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #4 - 07/06/11 at 11:47:28

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
PR_Chicano
YaBB Newbies

So whats nu?...
"Lambda over
c"

Chicago
Reply #5 - 07/06/11 at 20:38:27

wow i did that test to see if the petcock was bad and i have to say im pretty amazed,
I have never heard my bike start so nicely since i got it.  Thank you guys I will make sure to get a replacement petcock for it.

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #6 - 07/07/11 at 04:54:16

Original petcock. $80+ or this one: Yamaha Raptor petcock 5LP-24500-01-00 for Yamaha 2003 Raptor 660 YFM660R, About $20. On,Off,Reserve. Not auto, a little less reserve, according to Prechermike. Buy a vacuum hose cap at Auto Zone for the right side of the carburetor, or make one. Gasket-O-ring included with petcock. 15 minutes, if you're slow.   Wink

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/07/24 at 19:49:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Engine keeps turning off

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.